Bulls Fire Head Coach Tom Thibodeau

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
Thibs has had much better rosters to work with. Skiles would have gotten them just as far.

Well Skiles did manage minutes better and played everybody which is what the FO was mad at Thibs about but who knows in the end.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well Skiles did manage minutes better and played everybody which is what the FO was mad at Thibs about but who knows in the end.
As Linkin Park says...in the end, it doesn't even matter

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
I'm just glad that rumor didn't come true that we'd fire him after all the other vacancies filled up. That would've been bogus

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Skiles is what I always said would be the perfect college coach... By the time the players are seniors they don't have to listen to Skiles anymore. In the NBA, its usually hard for a young team to become champs in 4 years and at that point the act is growing thin to begin with.

Thibs is similar in a way.. They also both preach more defense over offense.. but I'd also like to say Skiles has never really had great offensive weapons in his systems.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:

future-endeavored-85394115.jpg

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I heard they suggested to Thibs to hire an offensive minded assistant coach but he was too stubborn and thought he could do the job better himself.

It's been reported that the FO tried to force Doug Collins on Thibs staff and Thibs basically said "Screw you". He saw the writing on the wall and knew there was no way in hell he was going to have Reinsdorf's buddy on his staff basically as a spy.

While I'm sad to see Thibs go, as he really is a great coach despite what all the armchair GM's think, I don't think just adding an offensive minded assistant was going to change the situation. It was clear toward the end of the season that the team needed a new voice in the locker room. Though I had my qualms with some of his coaching tendencies, I have the utmost respect for him for what he did in bringing the franchise back to prominence again. It's a shame he never got much of a fair shake from the FO, or fully healthy rosters for the majority of his time here, but it had to end.

However, I think that Reinsdorf's statement was completely low-class. He basically blames everything on Thibodeau while side stepping the very fact that even when the Bulls were winning championships, there was almost ZERO trust between the FO and Phil Jackson. His statement is disingenuous and blatantly false. I agree that there should be some trust level between the departments but his revisionist history is downright insulting not only to Thibs, but the fans as well.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
but but but injuries and stuff.
Which is going to be argued as a result of the amount of minutes Thibs played the players.

I mean, I've said it on this board before - it's not that I agree with firing Thibs per se, but they have every right as an organization to do it based on the playoff results. Unfortunately for Thibs, GarPax has all of the arguments on their side.

EDIT: I know your response to mine was sarcastic, so I don't mean to knock what you said. Just gave me the opportunity to make a point.

nbafan23

Liked Posts:
It's been reported that the FO tried to force Doug Collins on Thibs staff and Thibs basically said "Screw you". He saw the writing on the wall and knew there was no way in hell he was going to have Reinsdorf's buddy on his staff basically as a spy.

While I'm sad to see Thibs go, as he really is a great coach despite what all the armchair GM's think, I don't think just adding an offensive minded assistant was going to change the situation. It was clear toward the end of the season that the team needed a new voice in the locker room. Though I had my qualms with some of his coaching tendencies, I have the utmost respect for him for what he did in bringing the franchise back to prominence again. It's a shame he never got much of a fair shake from the FO, or fully healthy rosters for the majority of his time here, but it had to end.

However, I think that Reinsdorf's statement was completely low-class. He basically blames everything on Thibodeau while side stepping the very fact that even when the Bulls were winning championships, there was almost ZERO trust between the FO and Phil Jackson. His statement is disingenuous and blatantly false. I agree that there should be some trust level between the departments but his revisionist history is downright insulting not only to Thibs, but the fans as well.

No Bulls fans take Reinsdorf seriously anymore after he said he would trade all 6 of the Bulls titles for 1 white sox title. 6 for 1? Really Reiny?

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I'm just glad that rumor didn't come true that we'd fire him after all the other vacancies filled up. That would've been bogus

They would never do that. If they did they would have to pay his salary plus the new coaches. Now they only have to pay the balance if thibs gets a new job.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

You know what nobody ever thinks about? The other person who never got a fully healthy roster during Thibs' tenure: Gar Forman.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I still think they fired the wrong guy... but ohh well, the real question now is who is actually available that is a better coach?

RC_Skinny22

Sharpshooter
Donator
Liked Posts:

Gr8 post, couldn´t agree more!

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I still think they fired the wrong guy... but ohh well, the real question now is who is actually available that is a better coach?
Red Auerbach is not looking good these days.