Bulls' Mirotic: 'I'm not feeling the same confidence I was before

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Nikola Mirotic’s sophomore campaign stands in stark contrast to his 2014-15 rookie season.

The Montenegrin finished second in the NBA in Rookie of the Year voting only to Canadian phenom Andrew Wiggins, helped by an impressive 11-game run in March where Mirotic averaged 21.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, and 1.5 blocks.

Chicago Bulls head coach Fred Hoiberg has had to shift this season’s lineups constantly due to his team’s struggles to stay healthy. After seeing himself fall in and out of the startling lineup in just 41 games, Mirotic admitted he hasn’t been mentally at 100 percent lately.

“I’m struggling a little bit now and not shooting well,” he told K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune. “I’m not feeling the same confidence I was before.”

Comparing Mirotic’s rookie and sophomore years:
YEARMPGTS%WSPER
2014-1520.255.65.717.9
2015-1624.052.52.214.2

In an average of nearly four more minutes a game, Mirotic is contributing an estimated three fewer wins for the Bulls, a drastic dropoff for the 24-year-old.

All the Spain international can do for now is hope he’ll somehow channel the star performances that put him on everyone’s radar.

“The only way to get it back is to work hard and stay positive,” said Mirotic. “I need to forget what happened yesterday.

“I’m not scoring easy baskets. I’m not running like before. I’m not making those open threes. I’m not doing things in the low post. But if I can do it last year in March, I can do it this year, too. I think it will come soon.”

http://www.123bored.com/bulls-mirotic/

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Niko's a streak player

He'll have good stretches where he'll take bad shots, but everything falls. He'll get in a groove and play with more intensity. That only lasts for so long. As far as being consistent, playing with the same effort and intensity every night, and learning that fine line between confidence and playing smart, that's a whole different ball game. He's always going to be inconsistent and a career role player.

czman

Liked Posts:
Absolute best case scenario now is Ryan Anderson. I honestly think his actual best case scenario is Channing Fry.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would take Ryan Anderson. Channing Frye has had his moments, but is clearly far worse. Hopefully Niko can gather enough consistency to be Ryan Anderson.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I would take Ryan Anderson. Channing Frye has had his moments, but is clearly far worse. Hopefully Niko can gather enough consistency to be Ryan Anderson.
Hopefully Niko can be anything.

I do think its entirely confidence for him right now.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Mirotic has star potential--he's a playmaker. That is his strength.

His lack of confidence stems from the team not giving him the ball enough. There's a serious lack of trust on this team that is pervasive.

We have too many people looking to score on this team.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

His lack of confidence stems from the team not giving him the ball enough. There's a serious lack of trust on this team that is pervasive.

This, it's a contentious player environment with a lot of stupid big headed leaders who think they know how it should be, compounded by what looks like a weak coach in over his head schematically.

We are in fighting, and not holding star players accountable or defining roles for young players like Mirotic. With everyone walking on egg shells your streaky players feel unloved and confused and his funk is severe. When I look at his length, and shooting ability, and movement skills I can't believe he is playing this bad. He is playing stupid and there is clearly not the proper support structure around him to get him right and doing the right things on the court to pull him out.

I can't believe what I am seeing with the group of talent and the most glaring wtf is the use and loss of Mirotic.

I'm not ready to axe Hoiberg because of the 100 point streak, but I'm biting my cheeks very hard and wish I was inside to know what the fuck is wrong with the accountability on this team.

Mark Jackson with Billups as a protege assistant. Still my choice to bolster Rose.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I'm a GM of another team I'm salivating at the talent of Mirotic and this current implosion. We need to get him right and not be stupid.

czman

Liked Posts:
If I'm a GM of another team I'm salivating at the talent of Mirotic and this current implosion. We need to get him right and not be stupid.

What are you talking about. He has no mid-range game. He is a bad defender. He has a low basketball IQ, makes numerous ill advised plays. He is at best an average rebounder for a stretch 4. All he has is the fact he is about to be 25 so he has some room for growth.

He has serious flaws. Not easy to fix one either.

I honestly don't see much to like about him right now and would probably send him to the d-league. I am pretty sure all players with less tan 2 years experience are eligible. He very well might end up worse than Vladimir Radmanovic. Right now he behind him a the same age. Think about that.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
What are you talking about. He has no mid-range game. He is a bad defender. He has a low basketball IQ, makes numerous ill advised plays. He is at best an average rebounder for a stretch 4. All he has is the fact he is about to be 25 so he has some room for growth.

He has serious flaws. Not easy to fix one either.

I honestly don't see much to like about him right now and would probably send him to the d-league. I am pretty sure all players with less tan 2 years experience are eligible. He very well might end up worse than Vladimir Radmanovic. Right now he behind him a the same age. Think about that.

I think Mirotic is far more capable than he's showing, and you're not giving him credit considering the amount of time he's spent in the league. Also, the flaws you mentioned can easily be said about the whole damn team, not just Mirotic. No one is really playing well at this point.

He's clearly lost confidence because the Bulls don't use him enough. We have too many bigs looking to score, and too many guards looking to score instead of feeding other players. It was cool to watch for awhile, but the lack of defined roles has clearly eroded trust on this team. Trades need to be made, hopefully for some decent draft picks. Getting rid of GarPax would be amazing too, but I won't hold my breath.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

and the sad part is they are 22nd in scoring

they really botched that

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the cure to this is more ill-advised 25 foot three pointers 10 seconds into the shot clock.

As I've said the fact that that would ever occur more than once is a huge red flag for me on coaching not Mirotic. If leadership is that incompetent I can't put any blame on these players and I don't know what we have in terms of a players bball IQ when they are playing in an asylum squad.

There is clearly no accountability, clearly no structure or direction of what you are supposed to be doing if that goes on unchecked. If he doesn't know that's wrong, and isn't stopped, somebody tell me WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE COACHING?

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
As I've said the fact that that would ever occur more than once is a huge red flag for me on coaching not Mirotic. If leadership is that incompetent I can't put any blame on these players and I don't know what we have in terms of a players bball IQ when they are playing in an asylum squad.

There is clearly no accountability, clearly no structure or direction of what you are supposed to be doing if that goes on unchecked. If he doesn't know that's wrong, and isn't stopped, somebody tell me WHAT THE FUCK ARE WE COACHING?

In case you haven't noticed, young players tend to struggle with the Bulls. It's a veteran oriented team, which means rookies and young players have very little margin for error. It's gonna be hard to play with confidence when you're walking on eggs shells just to get minutes. The best thing the Bulls can do is make some trades and put the younger guys in a position to develop and lead. They're not winning a championship this year, or any other year with this roster anyway. Start building for the future.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:

Star potential? You cannot be serious. I think we have seen plenty of this guy to know he ain't going to develop into a star. He would need to do some serious work on his post game and develop his jumper even more. His best strength was supposed to be his ability to stretch the floor and he can't even hit 3's consistently.

Can he puts some points on the board at times? Sure, he can get hot. But he is not consistent. He can't really create his own shot consistently enough. He is limited defensively by his average athleticism.

Too many question marks for a 24 year old player who has been playing pro ball for some time now.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
It's called a sophomore slump for a reason. Lots of players go through it once the league gets to know their games. We all know what this kid can potentially be, as evident from his March last year. That was not a fluke. That was Niko at his best. Aggressive drives to the hoop, getting to the line, dishing it to open teammates, and taking open 3's in rhythm.

The problem is he has no defined role this season, which has been a problem for several other players on this team. Hoiberg is still not sure how he should use him. Is he a PF? Is he a SF? Should he start? Should he come off the bench? Almost every day it's been something different. For young players especially, their roles need to be clearly defined by the head coach so they can grow within them, build confidence, and eventually grow into larger roles.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
It's called a sophomore slump for a reason. Lots of players go through it once the league gets to know their games.

Was going to post the same thing. Doesn't help that he is a shot chucker in his sophomore season.

czman

Liked Posts:
It's called a sophomore slump for a reason.

He didn't play that well last season. It is not a slump if you are missing fundamental skills that would make you a good player. His problem isn't how many years he has been in the league. It is his skills. He may get more skilled, but I doubt it is before the end of this contract.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I believe that Hoiberg is the cause of Mirotics problems more than anything else. They should be running the offense through him not make him a looker on. The guy is creative and he is wasted on this team. I think Thibs knew this and that is why he had a good season last year. Now they have him pretty much standing around while others try and do their stuff.

Personally, I have watched Hoiberg and am not very impressed thus far. I think that he does not have a strong will to lead.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Not many saw the potential in Jimmy Butler a few years ago, but I called it. The same folks who doubted and criticized me about Butler are the same people doubting Mirotic now.

The kid can flat out play. He's not a particularly good defender at this point, but really, who is anymore? I think he's as good as a Dirk Nowitzki, but with much more versatility. Mirotic just needs a bigger role and a coach who's willing let him develop. Guys like Gasol and Taj keep him from getting the minutes he needs, which is why they should be traded.