Calling out WindyCity, Runruffshod75, Wildcard, and BearsFan51 (FA/DRAFT)

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Kevin Dodd is another guy I think could do very well as a 5 tech. He's another I have a late first round grade on but could see him slide a bit into the 2nd. So many of the DE/DT's/OLB's in this class fall in this range for me. Some will be sure to get over drafted a bit leaving some very good players in the 2nd round.

AussieBear

I'd chime in but I retired with the whole speculation thang. I gotz way to much vision for this board. Well that and I haven't really followed college football this year.

It's easy to break down tape for certain things about players. But I'm not that interested.

Guess I'll still stick to my that's not a knife week mock and fa from weeks 3-6???. Not bored enough to update and pick my own shit apart.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I won't be doing another mock draft for awhile.

Because of the free agent resources the Bears have it is difficult to pin point where they should/may go in the draft. They could literally make over the team in early March.

This appears to be a draft where the Bears will be outside of the really good talent range.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I won't be doing another mock draft for awhile.

Because of the free agent resources the Bears have it is difficult to pin point where they should/may go in the draft. They could literally make over the team in early March.

This appears to be a draft where the Bears will be outside of the really good talent range.

Yeah, I have a difficult time with the sheer volume of needs vs. the number of valuable picks the Bears have.

I look at it like this: 1st round pick = starter/building block. 2nd round = starter or very prominent backup. 3rd round = heavy snapcount in rotation. 4th = backup who maybe sees the field more at midseason or if injury. 5th round = depth/special teams. 6th/7th rounds = have to play special teams to make roster, possible practice squad guys.

So, in that case....the Bears have 3 maybe 4 draft picks that are going to be needed to help this team right away. Granted there are exceptions, like White getting hurt and Amos being much more than depth last year. But I think this is a decent general rule of what to reasonably expect from draft picks.

The problem is the Bears have desperate needs for starters at: ILB, DE, and RG....and that's assuming Porter, Jeffery, and at least Miller are back. The Bears could also use upgrades at the other DE spot, the other ILB spot, CB, SS, and maybe LT. Then the Bears need to start looking at players for the future at QB and OLB. Not to mention all the upgraded depth.

So, I think you gotta use free agency for the desperate needs. And the first 3-4 draft picks should go to either the upgrades or developmental players for the future. So, ILB, DE, RG are the main FA signings. And that means 3 of ILB, DE, CB, SS, LT, QB, OLB are going to have to be neglected in the first 4 rounds of the draft.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I have a difficult time with the sheer volume of needs vs. the number of valuable picks the Bears have.

I look at it like this: 1st round pick = starter/building block. 2nd round = starter or very prominent backup. 3rd round = heavy snapcount in rotation. 4th = backup who maybe sees the field more at midseason or if injury. 5th round = depth/special teams. 6th/7th rounds = have to play special teams to make roster, possible practice squad guys.

So, in that case....the Bears have 3 maybe 4 draft picks that are going to be needed to help this team right away. Granted there are exceptions, like White getting hurt and Amos being much more than depth last year. But I think this is a decent general rule of what to reasonably expect from draft picks.

The problem is the Bears have desperate needs for starters at: ILB, DE, and RG....and that's assuming Porter, Jeffery, and at least Miller are back. The Bears could also use upgrades at the other DE spot, the other ILB spot, CB, SS, and maybe LT. Then the Bears need to start looking at players for the future at QB and OLB. Not to mention all the upgraded depth.

So, I think you gotta use free agency for the desperate needs. And the first 3-4 draft picks should go to either the upgrades or developmental players for the future. So, ILB, DE, RG are the main FA signings. And that means 3 of ILB, DE, CB, SS, LT, QB, OLB are going to have to be neglected in the first 4 rounds of the draft.

Whoa, clam down the thoughts inside your head bro. This team won't be competing for the playoffs next year so looking at this roster and it's needs as if everything needs to be filled instantaneously won't be the way to go. Look at the primary value positions of need the Bears the. Bears need to focus on and work your way out. Pass rusher, QB, are likely the round one focuses for the. Bears. ILB isn't a priority in round one unless it's a transcendent talent. Safety same thing as well as just about any position on the OL although there is no real need to draft OL in e first.

ILB TE OL should be the focus after round one.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Whoa, clam down the thoughts inside your head bro. This team won't be competing for the playoffs next year so looking at this roster and it's needs as if everything needs to be filled instantaneously won't be the way to go. Look at the primary value positions of need the Bears the. Bears need to focus on and work your way out. Pass rusher, QB, are likely the round one focuses for the. Bears. ILB isn't a priority in round one unless it's a transcendent talent. Safety same thing as well as just about any position on the OL although there is no real need to draft OL in e first.

I didn't say anything about this year. I know all those needs won't be filled in this draft, which is kinda the point i was making. Gotta prioritize. But I agree with the rest. QB and pass rusher are ideal 1st round picks. We do have Cutler who is going to be the guy this year so developing a guy before he is desperately needed (which then forces you to reach for a QB in the draft). And pass rushers don't usually have huge impacts as rookies, so adding one while we still have productive options there is also ideal.

You brought up the Broncos ILBs vs pass rushers the other day. Both the Broncos ILBs were 5th round picks. But their pass rushers were 1st rounders.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is an immediate starter needed list,

DE
ILB
ILB
SS
RG
TE

At a minimum the Bears need no questions asked starters.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

DE
ILB
ILB
SS
RG
TE

If that's true then the focus needs to be on the DE spot only in the first round because that's where the true difference maker is going to be. The Bears need game breakers guys that become the sole focus of an offense to stop. These highlighted positions are primarily guys who can fit into the role player slot.

Even with the solid three deep at OLB if the best OLB rusher is there at 11 that has to be the guy they draft. You can't build the team on a constant cycle of role players otherwise you risk wallowing in mediocrity.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If that's true then the focus needs to be on the DE spot only in the first round because that's where the true difference maker is going to be. The Bears need game breakers guys that become the sole focus of an offense to stop. These highlighted positions are primarily guys who can fit into the role player slot.

Even with the solid three deep at OLB if the best OLB rusher is there at 11 that has to be the guy they draft. You can't build the team on a constant cycle of role players otherwise you risk wallowing in mediocrity.

I don't know where they address those spots

But to me those spots need new players in some way shape or form.

You have to hope the 1st and 2nd round picks start, which leaves you needing a solid 4 free agents or a successful 3rd through 5th round.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I don't know where they address those spots

But to me those spots need new players in some way shape or form.

You have to hope the 1st and 2nd round picks start, which leaves you needing a solid 4 free agents or a successful 3rd through 5th round.

Free agency will fill in the gaps, but the impact will come from the draft and that impact may not come right away. If we snatch a Kyle Long type impact player in the first, awesome. But I think we'll see role players in free agency and impact in the draft.

It might take three years for that impact but we'll get there.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Free agency will fill in the gaps, but the impact will come from the draft and that impact may not come right away. If we snatch a Kyle Long type impact player in the first, awesome. But I think we'll see role players in free agency and impact in the draft.

It might take three years for that impact but we'll get there.

I think you will see a more significant investment than that in free agency.

The Bears have the money, they need to bridge to the drafts coming in, and they have no chance of cap hell because they have only 2-3 good young players. Once Jeffery is locked up, Kyle Long is the only guy left that needs a big deal for a long time.

This year they will spend, probably a more significant buy than last season. Then they will move to a draft focused team in 2017 and beyond.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

DE
ILB
ILB
SS
RG
TE

Agreed. In other words, a full rebuild, although our resident Joffrey scolded me last year and explained there are no rebuilds in the NFL.

Now, when facing that many glaring needs with starters, not to mention depth, i just can't wrap my head around those still whining about the departures of BM and Forte.

Rebuild = everyone > 30 years old GTFO.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

What do you mean by this? Technically, we competed for the playoffs this year. As late as the first game in December, there was hopes that this team could make it. Obviously, they then fell on their face. But I think you need to replace compete with make. To me, when you go into the 4th quarter of the season and the playoffs are still on your mind, that is competing for something. Yes, that would include 20+ teams and the White Sox ever year.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
What do you mean by this? Technically, we competed for the playoffs this year. As late as the first game in December, there was hopes that this team could make it. Obviously, they then fell on their face. But I think you need to replace compete with make. To me, when you go into the 4th quarter of the season and the playoffs are still on your mind, that is competing for something. Yes, that would include 20+ teams and the White Sox ever year.

I don't think the team fell on its face in 2015, they did that in 2014. What happened here was simple, teams gained enough film on the weaknesses and then went out and took full advantage of those flaws.

Teams figured out how to properly game plan the Bears as better teams and then went out and executed. I think we'll see more of the same next year as well until there's a game changer on defense. Hopefully White shows up and surprises all of us and becomes a game breaker on offense that would at least move the needle in the right direction.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I don't think the team fell on its face in 2015, they did that in 2014. What happened here was simple, teams gained enough film on the weaknesses and then went out and took full advantage of those flaws.

Teams figured out how to properly game plan the Bears as better teams and then went out and executed. I think we'll see more of the same next year as well until there's a game changer on defense. Hopefully White shows up and surprises all of us and becomes a game breaker on offense that would at least move the needle in the right direction.

the Bears barely lost many games in 2015, stark contrast to getting dickraped by 30 points by halftime like 2014.

the defense didn't really force a whole lot of turnovers. they were like a running joke through week 7 or something because they hadn't gotten a single interception, for instance. you get some power players on defense that can get some turnovers and that 6-10 team will be in the very least a 10-6, possibly better. the backup receivers were good enough, but they need White and hopefully Jeffery and Bennett to be lights out, and Cutler needs to play balls out like before rather than this pussy "ohhh I don't wanna throw a pick" bullshit.

outscore people and if you give up a pick 6 here and there who gives a shit, you're winning games.