Calling out WindyCity, Runruffshod75, Wildcard, and BearsFan51 (FA/DRAFT)

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
WIth the state of this team talent-wise I would be happy with a trade down in the first couple of rounds and then trade ups in the later rounds. They need a lot and if they can bag another second round pick who they can fit in as a starter, that would be a good thing.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I get why they want to move on.. but as fans who have followed fortes entire career..we know what he brings and how consistent he has been and is

Langford showed some flashes last year but I'm sure another late rd or rookie free agent Wil be brought in to compete for a spot in the stable.

Pace is doing his best to get young I suppose.. too bad young isn't always better. Hopefully forte does end up in ne.. hes been a class act

You are absolutely correct. Young is not always better. Forte takes great care of his body, just like Brandon Marshall. Both of those guys will still be good players for the next three years and so will Bennett.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
I think losing Bennett would hurt more than most people think. Yes, he has a toxic personality, but he's one hell of a TE. If he's as toxic as Marshall in the eyes of the front office, then smell ya later Bennett.

I think Bennett getting hurt and Miller filling in nicely showed the former how expendable he really is. He's as good as gone.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think Bennett getting hurt and Miller filling in nicely showed the former how expendable he really is. He's as good as gone.

Um, isn't Miller a free agent also? Why would we trade Bennett while he has an affordable contract and possibly over-pay Miller. This is just another example of the Bear's weakening a position of strength by creating a hole on their roster needlessly.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
Um, isn't Miller a free agent also? Why would we trade Bennett while he has an affordable contract and possibly over-pay Miller. This is just another example of the Bear's weakening a position of strength by creating a hole on their roster needlessly.

Not saying we re-sign Miller (I prefer we don't). I am just saying that Bennett's production can be appeased. Assuming Alshon is back, and White/Royal are relatively healthy, there's going to be lots of targets going around for those guys and Langford/Carey should get a decent volume in the run/pass game as well. Bennett is not going to make or break this offense. Plus, Bennett is a FA next year, so it's either a hole at TE now or later. At least a trade would net us with something instead of letting him go for nothing besides extra $$$.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Not saying we re-sign Miller (I prefer we don't). I am just saying that Bennett's production can be appeased. Assuming Alshon is back, and White/Royal are relatively healthy, there's going to be lots of targets going around for those guys and Langford/Carey should get a decent volume in the run/pass game as well. Bennett is not going to make or break this offense. Plus, Bennett is a FA next year, so it's either a hole at TE now or later. At least a trade would net us with something instead of letting him go for nothing besides extra $$$.

Miller can't stay healthy, his talent was never in question. I wouldn't say Bennett is easily replaced because Miller shined, we're not going to get some guy off the street to perform as well as Miller did last year. I also don't expect much from Langford or Carey in the passing game, neither have shown good hands. I do agree with the last part you said about Bennett soon being a FA and trying to trade him.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

It's good too see #FullHawk every now and then.

Bang up job.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would really like for the Bears to be aggressive enough in free agency that they could do one of the following without still having a gaping hole.

-make a short jump up if one of the blue chip guys hits 7/8

-draft a QB if one falls into their laps

AussieBear

going by positional value and immediate need... the bears should be looking at a OL, Pass rusher (DE/OLB) or CB at 11...

also...id be okay with them selecting jaylon smith and waiting a year on him. i guess it really depends on what they do in FA though... i guess we will see whats up soon enough.. march 9 and free agency is just around the corner

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Before he went out with broken ribs, wasn't Bennett like 2nd or 3rd in passes caught last year? Also, he is one of the best if not the best blocking tight ends in the entire league. You just don't easily find these kinds of guys in the draft. There is no way I trade this guy for less than a 3rd round pick, especially in a contract year. Bennett is all about the money and he will be busting his ass for a good contract.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Unfortunately the Bears are going to take more of a Chicago Bulls type of rebuild rather than what's critically necessary - a Cubs and/or Blackhawks rebuild.

This upcoming season is another write-off in terms of fielding a playoff-competitive team, so I would be perfectly happy drafting a guy that's going to redshirt (Smith).

Also, again, anyone pining for Forte to return - other than from a fanboy perspective, how is that a smart move from a business perspective? Will he be more reliable and skilled than Langford in the 2016 season? Very likely yes, but so what, do we really want him after this season? 31+ year old RB is not going to be the centerpiece for a future Bears resurgence, let's move the fuck on and see what Langford and Carey can offer as the feature backs for 16 weeks.

Bennett? Who cares when the upcoming season is a building block for the future.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Unfortunately the Bears are going to take more of a Chicago Bulls type of rebuild rather than what's critically necessary - a Cubs and/or Blackhawks rebuild.

This upcoming season is another write-off in terms of fielding a playoff-competitive team, so I would be perfectly happy drafting a guy that's going to redshirt (Smith).

Also, again, anyone pining for Forte to return - other than from a fanboy perspective, how is that a smart move from a business perspective? Will he be more reliable and skilled than Langford in the 2016 season? Very likely yes, but so what, do we really want him after this season? 31+ year old RB is not going to be the centerpiece for a future Bears resurgence, let's move the fuck on and see what Langford and Carey can offer as the feature backs for 16 weeks.

I totally disagree. Last year the team was terrible. THis coming year some like you want to write off as well. Will another 6-10 season be just peachy for you guys? Are you just fine with the Bears not at least making the play-offs? In the last ten years they made the play-offs ONCE and now some of you are okay with making baby steps of progress?

Nope. Not me. They need to show improvement record-wise by having a quality draft and using all of that free agency money that they have. An 8-8 record is the MINIMUM record that I would accept if I owned this team. If they go 6-10 or worse, then shit can the lot of them and try again until they get it right. I still ay that the real problem is the ownership and its assembly of bean counters not football knowledgeable people. They need a Rocky Wirtz type that knows how to set goals and hire the right people to run his operation.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
I totally disagree. Last year the team was terrible. THis coming year some like you want to write off as well. Will another 6-10 season be just peachy for you guys? Are you just fine with the Bears not at least making the play-offs? In the last ten years they made the play-offs ONCE and now some of you are okay with making baby steps of progress?

Nope. Not me. They need to show improvement record-wise by having a quality draft and using all of that free agency money that they have. An 8-8 record is the MINIMUM record that I would accept if I owned this team. If they go 6-10 or worse, then shit can the lot of them and try again until they get it right. I still ay that the real problem is the ownership and its assembly of bean counters not football knowledgeable people. They need a Rocky Wirtz type that knows how to set goals and hire the right people to run his operation.

Ok, go ahead and hope for any record you like and set your own personal standards, cool. I don't give any shits what the record is in 2016, no matter who and what they pick up in FA and the draft they are not going to be a playoff contender, and honestly in that absence if they win 1 or 8 games it does not mater one iota to me - I just want to see an influx of young talent.

You say you disagree with me, but we both said we need a Blackhawks-type rebuild.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

The McCaskey's haven't been involved in football decisions for nearly two decades, and Rockwell Wirtz is the definition of a bean counter. What in the world are you attempting to argue?

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:

So all they need to do is draft the best 2 players in the league?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ok, go ahead and hope for any record you like and set your own personal standards, cool. I don't give any shits what the record is in 2016, no matter who and what they pick up in FA and the draft they are not going to be a playoff contender, and honestly in that absence if they win 1 or 8 games it does not mater one iota to me - I just want to see an influx of young talent.

You say you disagree with me, but we both said we need a Blackhawks-type rebuild.

No. I said that we need a Rocky Wirtz type owner. A guy that hired the Bowmans and Q and a scouting department that found Panarin when every other team didn't notice him. And, BTW.........YOUNG DOES NOT MEAN BETTER:)

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The McCaskey's haven't been involved in football decisions for nearly two decades, and Rockwell Wirtz is the definition of a bean counter. What in the world are you attempting to argue?

Um.........I don't know even where to start on this. Any ideas?

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

hawk-03.jpg

GatorLandMike

Liked Posts:
You 4 are usually the most invested in the FA/Draft period, so I'm curious what each of you would do (or at least try to do) in FA & in the draft this year if you were hypothetically the GM for the Bears.

edit: inb4 any Special person comments because it's CCS.

I have all the Intel you will ever need
I will have some info soon