Can Justin Fields Elevate this Team?

jive

Liked Posts:
There's alot of talk about building a supporting cast around Justin Fields, but can he elevate his team mates to play at a higher level?
That's what a franchise QB does, so I expect some of that from Justin Fields if he is to be the franchise QB we've been seeking for ages.

Can he throw open receivers and make Mooney, Pringle & St Brown look decent?
Can his mobility cover up some of the growing pains of a mediocre offensive line?
Can he motivate his team-mates when the coaching staff doesn't?

I certainly think he has the elements to be able to do this, and it's a matter of developing that and getting it out of him.
If that happens, the rest of the offense will look better in spite of the talent on hand.

Nail Polish

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I sure hope he does...If he can't elevate the team, he will have failed, and I hope that doesn't happen.

All the great QB's elevated the players around them. But the team has to have decent players to begin with. Something the Bears lack at the moment

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
There's alot of talk about building a supporting cast around Justin Fields, but can he elevate his team mates to play at a higher level?
That's what a franchise QB does, so I expect some of that from Justin Fields if he is to be the franchise QB we've been seeking for ages.

Can his mobility cover up some of the growing pains of a mediocre offensive line?

I certainly think he has the elements to be able to do this, and it's a matter of developing that and getting it out of him.
If that happens, the rest of the offense will look better in spite of the talent on hand.

A lot to ask of a second-year QB. Ideally, this is the time you'd like to surround him with talent and make him as comfortable as possible while he learns the game.

The situation is decidedly not ideal.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
It didn't look like it last year. Outside of his great TD run vs Pittsburgh, his running was underwhelming based on the hype of his athleticism. Mitch Trubisky was a more shifty runner than Fields. Fields is quicker, but he runs straight like a WR. Remember Mitch was slightly slower but ran more like a RB.

And I don't care what homers say...Fields is a concussion waiting to happen with that slide. He took a lot of hits to the head and face.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

I believe in Fields, he will make a big jump, weapons and protection are needed but he will improve big time, book it!

Liked Posts:
It didn't look like it last year. Outside of his great TD run vs Pittsburgh, his running was underwhelming based on the hype of his athleticism. Mitch Trubisky was a more shifty runner than Fields. Fields is quicker, but he runs straight like a WR. Remember Mitch was slightly slower but ran more like a RB.

And I don't care what homers say...Fields is a concussion waiting to happen with that slide. He took a lot of hits to the head and face.
I'm personally a big fan of wildberry pancake house on Randloph. Usually go there for pancakes but always end up getting their Mexicana skillet haha.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

I will say fields did not appear to be as quick as his timed speed would indicate. He was caught from behind by DL quite a bit trying to take off and does not have a super quick initial burst. Now, once he gets going and picks up a full head of steam? Very fast….but not so much on the initial burst to elude defenders. Nowhere close to say, Lamar Jackson in the regard.

It’s a huge year for fields obviously. Overall, I have no leaning tbh. Def have some faith he could be that dude, but not sold at this point. I’d put it at literal 50/50 odds

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will say fields did not appear to be as quick as his timed speed would indicate. He was caught from behind by DL quite a bit trying to take off and does not have a super quick initial burst. Now, once he gets going and picks up a full head of steam? Very fast….but not so much on the initial burst to elude defenders. Nowhere close to say, Lamar Jackson in the regard.

It’s a huge year for fields obviously. Overall, I have no leaning tbh. Def have some faith he could be that dude, but not sold at this point. I’d put it at literal 50/50 odds
Agreed. Like when he got chased down by Miles Garrett.

I'm hoping it's more indecision anything. Like he hasn't committed to running and is waiting for something to open up down field. Because he's not shifty, I think he's gotta make his mind up quicker to either run or throw it away.

And of course if he's going to run don't fumble the ball. But he's working on that.

YoungPA

Liked Posts:
Why is there so much pressure on a 2nd year player with only 12 starts? Why does he have to elevate the team so fast? We even gave Mitch 4 years before we pulled the plug. I'd be happy with just minor improvments:

- Cut your fumbles in half (from 12 to 6)
- Get to the checkdown early like Brady (free yardage)
- Learn to freakin slide
- Stay healthy (play 17 games)
- Run the show (Be in control on the offense, huddle, LOS, etc)
- Understand clock & time management
- 65% pass percentage
- 2:1 Td to Int ratio

These are realistic achievable goals for a 2nd year QB. To be honest its the floor or baseline metrics for a standard NFL Qb. Lets get to that level first before you throw the weight of elevating a team and city on his back.

jive

Liked Posts:

I think it's part of the learning curve. Most players look slow until they grasp the system enough to play fast.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why is there so much pressure on a 2nd year player with only 12 starts?
Because he was an elite college QB from a premiere program that's worked with a personal QB coach since high school that we gave up an additional 1st round pick for. Justin Fields has been given every opportunity since being a blue chip athlete in high school - the type of opportunity that other kids can only dream of.

He is not a project.

jive

Liked Posts:
Why is there so much pressure on a 2nd year player with only 12 starts? Why does he have to elevate the team so fast? We even gave Mitch 4 years before we pulled the plug. I'd be happy with just minor improvments:

- Learn to freakin slide
- 65% pass percentage

These are realistic achievable goals for a 2nd year QB. To be honest its the floor or baseline metrics for a standard NFL Qb. Lets get to that level first before you throw the weight of elevating a team and city on his back.
The team was pretty crappy last season, so it won't take much to elevate the team. Just doing the basics like you listed should help alot.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

- Learn to freakin slide
- 65% pass percentage

These days it’s pretty commonplace for rookie QBs to come in and make an impact immediately. If there’s not a huge jump in his 2nd year that would be a huge concern.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Is this thread going to be about favorite pancake houses?
I’m a sucker for red velvet pancakes

But as far as fields elevating the team he has the talent. The crap around him is crap. Let’s hope new oc isn’t another thing working against him. How the team is built if he can hit over 200 yards a game every game and cut back on fumbles I will call it a successful season. Nothing spectacular but an arrow pointing up season that can be built on.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
These days it’s pretty commonplace for rookie QBs to come in and make an impact immediately. If there’s not a huge jump in his 2nd year that would be a huge concern.
Even with the poverty oline and poverty skill position players he has to work with?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Can he do all of that? Yes.

Can he get much better at doing all that? Also yes.

This video shows what he can do. Now he just has to make it his everyday play style.

As for making the current receivers look good, those very receivers may make Fields' life easier. Mooney in 2020 and Pringle in 2021 were two of the top (if not the top) receivers in separation. Separation by receivers is going to make Fields' reads much simpler and quicker.

As for St. Brown, his combination of speed and height is going to open up the middle for everyone else. Hopefully, he can gel with Fields and become much more effective than he was in Green Bay.

I would not be against adding a shorter player like 5' 10" Skyy Moore or 5' 9" Calvin Austin III because they both seem to be separation machines, not to mention track stars. People seem to have forgotten (or were too young to have heard of) the Marks Brothers, who were two unrelated (Mark Duper and Mark Clayton) 5' 9" Dolphins WRs, who took the league by storm when Miami drafted Dan Marino.

A really tall receiver was more Trubisky's type of receiver because he was inaccurate and needed the large catch radius. Since Fields is more used to seeing open receivers before throwing to them and is accurate, wouldn't it be better to have 3 receivers (Mooney, Pringle and Skyy/Austin) who are top of the list in separation?

Of course, I would not be against a Christian Watson who has height, weight and speed if he is good at separation. But he will be more expensive, draft capital-wise than an Austin.

Last edited:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

I agree, but he also kept trying to see if one of his receivers came open, allowing for the defender to get too close. Once he decided to run, he did not have that lightning fast step to get away, getting caught from behind.

He needs to recalibrate his "I can still get away" range, adding a step or two more to the minimum distance allowed before he takes off. That would fix his getting caught from behind problem.