Can Justin Fields Elevate this Team?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Even with the poverty oline and poverty skill position players he has to work with?
Well I’m assuming there will be other additions. Burrow didn’t/doesn’t have a good OL and still his impact is very evident watching him. I’d be pretty shocked if Poles doesn’t draft a WR and OL with 2 of the first 3 picks.

I’m a Bears fan and have endured all the excuses and rationale on why cutler/Mitch didn’t excel. Some points were valid, but ultimately a franchise QB overcomes those issues and elevates the offense. It should be pretty evident is Fields is the guy after this season.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Outside of random predictions, we have no idea where the ineptitude of the Nagy offense ended and the capability of Fields begins.

I for one think the talent is so pathetic at WR, that most bottom dwelling receivers on other teams would start for the Bears.

Thankfully, the FO wants to make sure the Bears don't have a crappy defense... So... I'm sure they'll try to balance the draft selections and will punt Fields' development to year 3.

(Hey Justin... I know you were super Eff'd last year... but we're going to take a mulligan on giving you Offensive weapons again until next year... You don't mind waiting while simultaneously seeing the media and fan base label you a bust do you?)

I'd rather lose every game this year because our defense gave up 50 points a game... instead of our Offense struggling to put up over 20.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
These days it’s pretty commonplace for rookie QBs to come in and make an impact immediately. If there’s not a huge jump in his 2nd year that would be a huge concern.
You are expecting a 2nd year QB in his 2nd offense with half his offensive teammates being replaced to “elevate” their games? Unrealistic.

Yes, he should make improvements and by the end of the season we should clearly be able to tell if he’s the guy moving forward or not. But taking over and elevating the team will be something to expect in 2023, not 2022…

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
You are expecting a 2nd year QB in his 2nd offense with half his offensive teammates being replaced to “elevate” their games? Unrealistic.

Yes, he should make improvements and by the end of the season we should clearly be able to tell if he’s the guy moving forward or not. But taking over and elevating the team will be something to expect in 2023, not 2022…
Tell that to Joe burrow. We should all see a noticeable jump and it should be clear he’s the guy moving forward. Herbert came in as a rookie and dominated. I am expecting a jump from fields, yes….if he can’t elevate those around him at least somewhat, that would not be good.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I sure hope he does...If he can't elevate the team, he will have failed, and I hope that doesn't happen.

All the great QB's elevated the players around them. But the team has to have decent players to begin with. Something the Bears lack at the moment

But the team has to have decent players to begin with. Something the Bears lack at the moment

This part

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I mean, the past decade has been crazy on rookie QBs being ready to play right away, but if we follow the old formula (pre-mahommes), you expect a rookie QB to struggle, them to even out an be average in y2, and then really take off year 3.

Year 2 typically isn't about seeing what your QB's ceiling is, but more about raising the level of his floor, with sprinkles of the wow stuff mixed in to give you hope.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I think a competent game plan on offense will go a long way in helping Fields make the steps he needs to. That mish mash shitty offensive plan he played under last year led to doubt and indecision. Under Getsy I don't see that happening. Justin is going to know what he has to do with the ball and we will all see the player he really is.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I mean, the past decade has been crazy on rookie QBs being ready to play right away, but if we follow the old formula (pre-mahommes), you expect a rookie QB to struggle, them to even out an be average in y2, and then really take off year 3.

Year 2 typically isn't about seeing what your QB's ceiling is, but more about raising the level of his floor, with sprinkles of the wow stuff mixed in to give you hope.

Mahomes didn't play his rookie year until Week 17. Why do you pretend not just to know anything about other teams, but somehow be an expert on them? You can't even spell his name.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I unfortunately have my doubts as well about him becoming a high caliber player. He is a very slow processor which concerns me the most. Every top QB intimiately understands defenses and processes the field very well. Its very difficult to be successful without this trait.

I am certainly not willing to write him off yet, not after just one season under the idiot Nagy.

Hope springs eternal.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Ohio State Quarterback: Strike one
Scouted and Drafted by Ryan Pace Quarterback: Strike two
Bears Quarterback: Strike three, you're fucking out.

I mean yeah obviously he could prove all that wrong, but nothing he did last year hinted that was going to happen. The Cult of Justin Fields will probably be as brief as it was fervent. By week eight of this coming season quarterback will once assume its old familiar place atop the Chicago Bears' list of positional needs.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Tell that to Joe burrow. We should all see a noticeable jump and it should be clear he’s the guy moving forward. Herbert came in as a rookie and dominated. I am expecting a jump from fields, yes….if he can’t elevate those around him at least somewhat, that would not be good.
Joe Burrow has a HC and OC that we’re there laying the foundation before he was even drafted. MUCH different situation. Herbert had a MUCH more complete team already assembled when he was drafted as well. He certainly didn’t go through a rebuild in his 2nd season.

If JF was in anything close to a similar situation, sure…expect it. But he isn’t.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Can Justin Fields Elevate this Team?​

Many feel he can. But a larger question might be ..can this new unknown offense elevate Fields and the offensive players ?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If Luke Getsy is smart, yeah. Regardless of a player's abilities, you have to put them in a position to succeed. Nagy never did that with any of his QBs. He was a complete fucking fraud.

I'm thinking based on that, this coming season is going to be more like a rookie season again for Fields. And if he shows improvement, year 3 is going to be his breakout season.

That would also coincide with when the Bears actually hope to compete again. We'll see.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I said this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here. It's all about your perspective. Is it "well Fields has got no support how can we ever tell if he's good?" Or could it possibly be "Fields won't have a great supporting cast so it'll be easy to see if he can elevate the talent around him like great QBs do."

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
The team has made an unprecedented amount of moves to purposely make him fail. I mean I get that a great QB overcomes but most teams are not so dysfunctionally trying to make their young QB fail. Zero weapons, shit O-line, defensive coach, the works

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The team has made an unprecedented amount of moves to purposely make him fail. I mean I get that a great QB overcomes but most teams are not so dysfunctionally trying to make their young QB fail. Zero weapons, shit O-line, defensive coach, the works
What's wrong with a defensive coach? The Bills pulled off probably the best quarterback development job of the last twenty years with Sean McDermott.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Can he elevate the team? Good question. Another good question: can the wrs and o line be elevated?

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Why is there so much pressure on a 2nd year player with only 12 starts? Why does he have to elevate the team so fast? We even gave Mitch 4 years before we pulled the plug. I'd be happy with just minor improvments:

- Cut your fumbles in half (from 12 to 6)
- Get to the checkdown early like Brady (free yardage)
- Learn to freakin slide
- Stay healthy (play 17 games)
- Run the show (Be in control on the offense, huddle, LOS, etc)
- Understand clock & time management
- 65% pass percentage
- 2:1 Td to Int ratio

These are realistic achievable goals for a 2nd year QB. To be honest its the floor or baseline metrics for a standard NFL Qb. Lets get to that level first before you throw the weight of elevating a team and city on his back.
If he did all of that - he would undoubtedly elevate the team.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
What's wrong with a defensive coach? The Bills pulled off probably the best quarterback development job of the last twenty years with Sean McDermott.
They also built a solid oline and traded for a number one wr. Let’s not compare this poverty offense to what the bills did to make the offense succeed