Can Justin Fields Elevate this Team?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The team has made an unprecedented amount of moves to purposely make him fail. I mean I get that a great QB overcomes but most teams are not so dysfunctionally trying to make their young QB fail. Zero weapons, shit O-line, defensive coach, the works

Was it really a "shit O-line" or did it just play like shit in Nagy's discombobulated and predictable offense? Hell, they couldn't even run the ball until Nagy's dumbass got out of the way and gave up play calling duties. I think you can scheme an O-line to hide deficiencies way more than you can scheme shitty receivers to somehow stop being blanketed by CB's.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agreed. Like when he got chased down by Miles Garrett.

I'm hoping it's more indecision anything. Like he hasn't committed to running and is waiting for something to open up down field. Because he's not shifty, I think he's gotta make his mind up quicker to either run or throw it away.

And of course if he's going to run don't fumble the ball. But he's working on that.

Myles Garrett runs a 4.57 40 compared to Fields' 4.44. That isnt a big enough gap for Fields to outrun Garrett unless they both started running at around the same time. The issue is Garrett already had a head start by the time Fields makes a decision to run.

By contrast Lamar runs a 4.34 so 2 tenths faster and more importantly Jackson usually is decisive when he wants to run. He doesnt sit there waiting to see if a route comes open like Fields. He typically gives up on the pass earlier than Fields does which means he gets moving earlier.

If he learned nothing else, Fields should have learned once a DL gives chase you need to get your ass moving or get rid of the ball quickly. You cant get away with just floating behind the LoS like you did in college.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Tell that to Joe burrow. We should all see a noticeable jump and it should be clear he’s the guy moving forward. Herbert came in as a rookie and dominated. I am expecting a jump from fields, yes….if he can’t elevate those around him at least somewhat, that would not be good.

Yeah not quite. Burrow made improvements but that is easier to do when you draft Chase. Burrow didnt elevate Chase. Chase elevated Burrow. Adding a guy who goes for 1500 yards and 13 TDs is no minor upgrade in talent around you.

Fields should show progress regardless but most young QBs either need reliable outlets or a good OL to be able to elevate others.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm just hoping the Bears receivers can master the 8 yard curl finally....

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I said this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here. It's all about your perspective. Is it "well Fields has got no support how can we ever tell if he's good?" Or could it possibly be "Fields won't have a great supporting cast so it'll be easy to see if he can elevate the talent around him like great QBs do."

It's a combo

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Obviously the good QBs elevate the players around them.

Obviously Fields needs more talent around him.

Obviously Nagy sucked.

Obviously we hope the new system is better.

Obviously Poles will still draft and sign some more players on offense.

Obviously the draft can’t come soon enough…..

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I think a competent game plan on offense will go a long way in helping Fields make the steps he needs to. That mish mash shitty offensive plan he played under last year led to doubt and indecision. Under Getsy I don't see that happening. Justin is going to know what he has to do with the ball and we will all see the player he really is.
correct 100%

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Ohio State Quarterback: Strike one
Scouted and Drafted by Ryan Pace Quarterback: Strike two
Bears Quarterback: Strike three, you're fucking out.

I mean yeah obviously he could prove all that wrong, but nothing he did last year hinted that was going to happen. The Cult of Justin Fields will probably be as brief as it was fervent. By week eight of this coming season quarterback will once assume its old familiar place atop the Chicago Bears' list of positional needs.

Ohio State Quarterback: Strike one
OSU Qb's have a combined winning NFL record

Scouted and Drafted by Ryan Pace Quarterback: Strike two
Could be the best player he ever drafted prior to being shown the door

Bears Quarterback: Strike three, you're fucking out.

See "strike 2"

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh here we go...."second rookie year." ?

You still expect some progression. He knows the speed of the game now. It won't be anything new. A better system can do wonders as well. You can expect learning pains when it comes to the system while still seeing improvement in other areas

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Was it really a "shit O-line" or did it just play like shit in Nagy's discombobulated and predictable offense? Hell, they couldn't even run the ball until Nagy's dumbass got out of the way and gave up play calling duties. I think you can scheme an O-line to hide deficiencies way more than you can scheme shitty receivers to somehow stop being blanketed by CB's.
It was bad enough the new gm brought a new center and passed on bringing back a 24 year old guard.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
They also built a solid oline and traded for a number one wr. Let’s not compare this poverty offense to what the bills did to make the offense succeed
Bills didn't acquire Stefon Diggs until after Josh Allen's sophomore season. They didn't invest money or draft picks in his weapons until Allen at least showed some signs he was worth it. And in 2019 he did! With just John Brown and Cole Beasley, then they made some bigger moves and Allen got even better.

The idea of building a solid offensive line shouldn't be contingent on the quarterback, it should be a Bears priority every year.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I would just be happy if Fields could read a fucking defense just once

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Yeah not quite. Burrow made improvements but that is easier to do when you draft Chase. Burrow didnt elevate Chase. Chase elevated Burrow. Adding a guy who goes for 1500 yards and 13 TDs is no minor upgrade in talent around you.

Fields should show progress regardless but most young QBs either need reliable outlets or a good OL to be able to elevate others.
Burrows rookie year was better than fields by quite a bit without chase. Adding chase helped of course, but chase is also elevated by burrow as well. It’s a two way street.

Either way, fields needs to take a sizable leap in year 2, no other way around it.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Burrows rookie year was better than fields by quite a bit without chase. Adding chase helped of course, but chase is also elevated by burrow as well. It’s a two way street.

Either way, fields needs to take a sizable leap in year 2, no other way around it.

Vision referenced the 2nd year not rookie year so my comment was about his 2nd year. Considering Chase came out the gate swinging then hard to say he was elevated by Burrow. Seems apparent he would be a stud no matter want. By contrast Burrow took a huge leap between his rookie and 2nd year with the arrival of Chase.

So I think we agree that Fields needs to take a step regardless but my point was you can't really compare to the Burrow situation as it appears Burrow got a generational talent at WR in his 2nd year to go along with 2 other thousand yard WRs. Few teams field 3 WRs that have gone for 1k yards so Chase, Higgins, and Boyd blow the Bears WR core out of the water. To be sure I still think Burrow is a better QB regardless but that is not a fair comparison at all. Best to just say Fields needs to take a step rather than invoke Burrow's name.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Vision referenced the 2nd year not rookie year so my comment was about his 2nd year. Considering Chase came out the gate swinging then hard to say he was elevated by Burrow. Seems apparent he would be a stud no matter want. By contrast Burrow took a huge leap between his rookie and 2nd year with the arrival of Chase.

So I think we agree that Fields needs to take a step regardless but my point was you can't really compare to the Burrow situation as it appears Burrow got a generational talent at WR in his 2nd year to go along with 2 other thousand yard WRs. Few teams field 3 WRs that have gone for 1k yards so Chase, Higgins, and Boyd blow the Bears WR core out of the water. To be sure I still think Burrow is a better QB regardless but that is not a fair comparison at all. Best to just say Fields needs to take a step rather than invoke Burrow's name.
Fields needs to take a step. A very big one

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Mahomes didn't play his rookie year until Week 17. Why do you pretend not just to know anything about other teams, but somehow be an expert on them? You can't even spell his name.
I think his intent was to spell pre-madonna

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The idea of building a solid offensive line shouldn't be contingent on the quarterback, it should be a Bears priority every year.

? but the fan base is making the same mistake as last time assuming just coaching change is what the oline needed and it wasn’t a talent issue

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Fields needs to take a step. A very big one
He should but what would be a fair positive step? I’m thinking cutting the fumbles to a normal level and consistently popping over 200 yard games. Last year was kind of scary how low the production was on offense