Can Justin Fields Elevate this Team?

Bust

Liked Posts:
Just as a counter point because it is between the start of free agency and the draft, wasn't Burrow not the guy until his last year in college?

Yea Ryan Day almost ruined him. Speaks about it here. Day sat him 3rd string in favor of JT Barrett and D'wayne Haskins. In other words when Day barks Justin is a generational talent take it with a HUGE grain of salt. btw his freshman qb who replaced Justin almost won the Heisman, hmmmmmmmmmm

jive

Liked Posts:
Thats just Reid doing his buddy a favor. He's being ignored like every player under Nagy was by Nagy.

That's Reid doing Nagy a solid. Nagy isn't long for this league.

I'm not sure if they are doing Mahommes any favors. Seeing what Nagy did to Trubisky, Foles, Dalton and Fields can't fill him with confidence.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I still don't understand what people's definition of "franchise quarterback" is. Justin Fields is the #1, he's going to remain the #1 unless he flops and doesn't get his 2nd deal and someone else replaces him.

if he's the undisputed #1, then why the fuck would he not be the face of the franchise? it's not like the defense is THAT dominant anymore that any of those guys are going to take his spot in being recognized.

on the other hand, people anointed Josh McCown the greatest Bears quarterback ever and he was still the backup. he wasn't a franchise quarterback, but he was the best ever. by that rationale it really has fuck all to do with whether the guy is good or not. but on the other other hand, Dalton was slotted as "QB1" last year, and well... perhaps I get your fucking point.

that said, Fields had some brilliant flashes but I don't think he's ever going to be on the level of Brady or P. Manning in turning chicken shit into chicken salad if you give him subpar talent. and my take, even if you gave him elite talent (not happening this year or probably ever again) he probably still won't be the guy.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still don't understand what people's definition of "franchise quarterback" is.
For me it's a QB that shows he's worthy of a 2nd contract and is ranked within the top 12 QBs in the league.

I think it's fair to expect a QB of Fields' talent and athleticism to be just outside of 12th this season. Like 13 - 15.

Ppl can question the receiver talent all they want, great QBs elevate their team. Effing Brady made Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, and Julian Edleman stars. ?

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Mooney will be the best receiver on this team come the season. It almost appears that they’re intentionally trying to make Fields fail. You can only hope incompetence is the worst of it and this isn’t malicious

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
For me it's a QB that shows he's worthy of a 2nd contract and is ranked within the top 12 QBs in the league.

I think it's fair to expect a QB of Fields' talent and athleticism to be just outside of 12th this season. Like 13 - 15.

Ppl can question the receiver talent all they want, great QBs elevate their team. Effing Brady made Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, and Julian Edleman stars. ?

There is 1 Brady

Expecting that is fucking stupid and this comment shows why people make jokes at your expense

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
I will say fields did not appear to be as quick as his timed speed would indicate. He was caught from behind by DL quite a bit trying to take off and does not have a super quick initial burst. Now, once he gets going and picks up a full head of steam? Very fast….but not so much on the initial burst to elude defenders. Nowhere close to say, Lamar Jackson in the regard.

It’s a huge year for fields obviously. Overall, I have no leaning tbh. Def have some faith he could be that dude, but not sold at this point. I’d put it at literal 50/50 odds

I would say his small hands are a contributing factor in his initial burst. Its hard to run full speed with burst if you have trouble holding the ball.

Tons of players have this problem. Its not as easy as it looks.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is 1 Brady

Expecting that is fucking stupid and this comment shows why people make jokes at your expense
Please calm down.

No one is saying Fields has to be Brady. It's just an example of a QB elevating the players he has to work with.

And you skipped over the first part. You don't think Fields can at least be the 15th ranked QB next year?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

You mean like Stafford who just won a Super Bowl After a decade on one of the worst teams in the NFL? Right tell me more.

Coaching, scheme and talent all play into it

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
You mean like Stafford who just won a Super Bowl After a decade on one of the worst teams in the NFL? Right tell me more.

Coaching, scheme and talent all play into it
No one is talking about Fields winning a super bowl. We're talking about him being somewhere around 12 - 15th ranked QB.

Was Stafford not ever ranked 12 - 15 in Detroit?

We're talking about Derek Carr level here...lol. Most of CCS rips the guy.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Please calm down.

No one is saying Fields has to be Brady. It's just an example of a QB elevating the players he has to work with.

And you skipped over the first part. You don't think Fields can at least be the 15th ranked QB next year?

Then give another example of a QB elevating others around him without using someone like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It didn't look like it last year. Outside of his great TD run vs Pittsburgh, his running was underwhelming based on the hype of his athleticism. Mitch Trubisky was a more shifty runner than Fields. Fields is quicker, but he runs straight like a WR. Remember Mitch was slightly slower but ran more like a RB.

And I don't care what homers say...Fields is a concussion waiting to happen with that slide. He took a lot of hits to the head and face.
Who said his head up late slide is the right way?
Much of Fields issues came from trying to get the extra out of every play instead of taking what was given when there was little to nothing given.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Might as well said Johnny Unitas. Basically like saying Brady or Manning.

How about Joe Burrow?
Well yeah. That's why it's silly.

I said great QBs elevate their team. So any QB I mention will be deemed too great to compare to Fields and an unfair comparison.

All I said is Fields should be 13 to 15th.

Is that a crazy expectation?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Fields should be 13 to 15th.
I agree with BR on this one. If you look at last years stats, that puts him in low 90s in QBR, and is not an unreasonable expectation. In Mitch's 3 years as a starter following his rookie season he averaged a 90 QBR and that was considered replacement level production.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Mooney will be the best receiver on this team come the season. It almost appears that they’re intentionally trying to make Fields fail.
I wouldn't go that far, buts its clear that helping Fields is not a priority, and getting the personnel to run Eberflus defensive scheme is the #1 priority.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Can he do all of that? Yes.

Can he get much better at doing all that? Also yes.

This video shows what he can do. Now he just has to make it his everyday play style.

As for making the current receivers look good, those very receivers may make Fields' life easier. Mooney in 2020 and Pringle in 2021 were two of the top (if not the top) receivers in separation. Separation by receivers is going to make Fields' reads much simpler and quicker.

As for St. Brown, his combination of speed and height is going to open up the middle for everyone else. Hopefully, he can gel with Fields and become much more effective than he was in Green Bay.

I would not be against adding a shorter player like 5' 10" Skyy Moore or 5' 9" Calvin Austin III because they both seem to be separation machines, not to mention track stars. People seem to have forgotten (or were too young to have heard of) the Marks Brothers, who were two unrelated (Mark Duper and Mark Clayton) 5' 9" Dolphins WRs, who took the league by storm when Miami drafted Dan Marino.

A really tall receiver was more Trubisky's type of receiver because he was inaccurate and needed the large catch radius. Since Fields is more used to seeing open receivers before throwing to them and is accurate, wouldn't it be better to have 3 receivers (Mooney, Pringle and Skyy/Austin) who are top of the list in separation?

Of course, I would not be against a Christian Watson who has height, weight and speed if he is good at separation. But he will be more expensive, draft capital-wise than an Austin.
Because that separation dwindles on NFL corners when you're going deep and safeties are helping. That separation you're describing comes mostly from crisp routes and mismatches of the 80's that Shula created.

Duper, Clayton and Marino were exceptions before any version of a cover 2 was present in the NFL. It's like saying Mahomes proves small WRs (Hill) are the thing. It proves Marino and Mahomes are great QBs. Speed kills but speed and size kills more. Everyone here know how much I like Mooney and wanted him before that draft but it won't blind me to the advantages of a bigger one on one guy you can just pitch it to when you can't be perfect.

I really like Watson a lot, he's a natural for the spot except for one thing. His hands could be more consistent. How scouts/GMs view that will have a great deal to do with where he's drafted. I'm not concerned with his lack of yardage in college but his hands could limit his draft status. Getting space early in routes shouldn't be an issue for him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well yeah. That's why it's silly.

I said great QBs elevate their team. So any QB I mention will be deemed too great to compare to Fields and an unfair comparison.

All I said is Fields should be 13 to 15th.

Is that a crazy expectation?
I'm hoping for top 3rd. 11 or better but you're likely right unless we seriously improve his situation.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nah…all franchise QBs you trade 1st rounders for need great talent to put up better stats than Mitch tribusky.
That offense got schematically and statistically worse every year regardless of quarterback

Trubs had the benefit of Nagy's O that first year being new. Once NFL Ds had that O on tape it started to flounder and Nagy never adjusted.

Last edited: