Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wouldn't go that far, buts its clear that helping Fields is not a priority, and getting the personnel to run Eberflus defensive scheme is the #1 priority.
I don't see it that way. They've cut more from that D than they've added, by far, and it still needs at least 2 starters in the secondary. O needs a #1 WR and 1 or 2 OL help depending on how they feel about T. Schemes will help both situations but the change in D required greater personnel changes.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure if they are doing Mahommes any favors. Seeing what Nagy did to Trubisky, Foles, Dalton and Fields can't fill him with confidence.
He's a QB coach now on a team with Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes. Anything he says is going to be ignored by people who know what they're doing.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trubs had the benefit of Nagy's O that first year being new. Once the D had that O om tape it started to flounder and Nagy never adjusted.
So this. Teams reacted to Nagy's bullshit sets and later just stayed home as they discovered it was the same plays with useless added complication.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For me it's a QB that shows he's worthy of a 2nd contract and is ranked within the top 12 QBs in the league.

I think it's fair to expect a QB of Fields' talent and athleticism to be just outside of 12th this season. Like 13 - 15.

Ppl can question the receiver talent all they want, great QBs elevate their team. Effing Brady made Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, and Julian Edleman stars. ?

Being able to point to one example and the GOAT no less is not real evidence. Brady has never won a SB without a top 10 D. So while his WRs may have been underwhelming, his team was not. The dude played like shit that first SB but the D kept him in it until he could win it on that final drive.

Right now Fields is surrounded by question marks on D, at WR, and on the OL. Again let's stop comparing him to QBs who never had as many question marks surrounding them.

He needs to improve for sure but his situation is not the same as Brady or Wilson who had elite defenses and had to do very little offensively or a Peyton Manning or Joe Burrow who had elite WRs supporting him.

What we should be looking for are improvements in decision making, reading defenses, throwing on time and with anticipation but that is not necessarily going to translate into big numbers until such time he has a level of support that turns those improvememts into big numbers.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Then give another example of a QB elevating others around him without using someone like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning
Seriously, this shit is exhausting. Why cant Fields immediately be Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes or be one of the all time young QB outliers?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Trubs had the benefit of Nagy's O that first year being new. Once NFL Ds had that O on tape it started to flounder and Nagy never adjusted.
How do you account for Mitch having a better rookie year with worse talent and equal if not worse coaching? He was the raw inexperienced prospect. Fields was the experienced guy from the big program.

Either Nagy truly is the worst coach of all time (which is possible) or there are bigger concerns with fields than fans want to admit. And if the blame falls all on Nagy, then everyone should feel great going into the season and the bears should push for the playoffs.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
How do you account for Mitch having a better rookie year with worse talent and equal if not worse coaching? He was the raw inexperienced prospect. Fields was the experienced guy from the big program.

Either Nagy truly is the worst coach of all time (which is possible) or there are bigger concerns with fields than fans want to admit. And if the blame falls all on Nagy, then everyone should feel great going into the season and the bears should push for the playoffs.

I said it at the time and I will say it again, John Fox and Loggains had the right plan for Trubisky. They kept it simple. It was just impatient Bears fans and Pace that wanted a dynamic offense without considering whether the QB was ready for such an offense.

Trubisky would be a better QB if they had stuck with Fox and Loggains. The O may have been boring and Bears fans would have hated it but Fox and Loggains would only have given Trubisky what he could handle. The biggest issue with that O was not the plan for Trubisky but the fact the best WR was a guy who was out of the league the following year. If you had kept Fox and added Mack, ARob, Burton, Gabriel, etc. That 2018 team still makes the playoffs and follows the Pats and Seahawks model of protecting a young QB while trying to make a playoff run.

Nagy's issue is his plan is the opposite. He throws the whole O at a young QB and then if that fails he triws to dial it back but said QB is now already overwhelmed and confused as to what the fuck he is supposed to be doing. What this coaching staff preaches and hopefully delivers on is teaching the concepts and then adding to them at a pace that is aligned with Fields' capacity to digest it.

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Seriously, this shit is exhausting. Why cant Fields immediately be Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Patrick Mahomes or be one of the all time young QB outliers?
HE ISNT A PROJECT LIKE MVP LAMAR JACKSON THOUGH

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can he immediately be Derek Carr?

That's all I'm asking. Is that too much?

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
Can Justin Fields elevate this team? No.

But Jesper Horsted can!

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't go that far, buts its clear that helping Fields is not a priority, and getting the personnel to run Eberflus defensive scheme is the #1 priority.
Yea this team/regime is maxing out as a 7-9 win fringe playoff team… at the best.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I'm hoping for top 3rd. 11 or better but you're likely right unless we seriously improve his situation.
Top 3rd is the eventual goal and I think what you need if you sign a QB to a big 2nd deal. Middle of the road QBs signed to big deals are team killers.

I would love to see a QBR over 90 this season, rising to the mid to high 90s in year 3. That's a guy I would re-sign.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Can he immediately be Derek Carr?

That's all I'm asking. Is that too much?
I don’t see why he can’t but even the Raiders traded a ton to get Adams even though they already have two good weapons for their QB. They went in for your guy McDaniels.

Very odd how you continually acknowledge how inept this organization is at bringing in good coaches and talent but yet expect a QB to play well with no help.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Yea this team/regime is maxing out as a 7-9 win fringe playoff team… at the best.
Getting rid of Nagy is easily +2 wins, but the loss of Mack, Arob and a few others hurts. This is certainly a less talented team than last season. I think 7 or 8 wins would be a pretty good showing by Eberflus.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Getting rid of Nagy is easily +2 wins, but the loss of Mack, Arob and a few others hurts. This is certainly a less talented team than last season. I think 7 or 8 wins would be a pretty good showing by Eberflus.

Bears need to shoot for a top 5 pick. There will probably be a few teams looking for a QB next year and if Fields shows progress you can probably trade that top 10 pick in a deal similar to the Dolphins ans Niners and come away with 2 future first rounders. That would be better for the long term future of the team. So I would prefer 4 or 5 wins.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don’t see why he can’t but even the Raiders traded a ton to get Adams even though they already have two good weapons for their QB. They went in for your guy McDaniels.

Very odd how you continually acknowledge how inept this organization is at bringing in good coaches and talent but yet expect a QB to play well with no help.
Strange that he wants Carr production but doesn’t care about the talent Carr has and has had around him

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does Derek Carr elevate the play of those around him?
No.

He's a middling QB that damn near threw for 4k yards and 32 TDs on a 7-9 Raiders team in his SECOND year.

Can Fields be as good as a middling QB that CCS users have trashed when there's been "Carr to the Bears" trade rumors?

Last edited: