Chicago Cubs (38-56) @ Pittsburgh Pirates (54-40) 7/23-25 Series Discussion Thread

How many games do the Cubs win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Stupid Marmol! Did Cy Young ever worry about pitch counts? He did pretty good.

He didn't get paid a quarter million for his entire career combined, nonetheless 4 times that in one season. I'm not a fan of the kiddie treatment with pitchers overall, but I do understand the notion of the teams trying to protect their investment.

Mr. Cub

2016 World Series Champs!
Liked Posts:
He didn't get paid a quarter million for his entire career combined, nonetheless 4 times that in one season. I'm not a fan of the kiddie treatment with pitchers overall, but I do understand the notion of the teams trying to protect their investment.

Makes sense. But he had something great going on. What if he had a no-hitter going and an 8 run lead? 100 pitches bottom of the 9th? Do you pull him then?

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Yeah, maybe. I don't remember. It is just odd how those guys could pitch forever back then and now there is 5 man rotations and pitch counts. Now we get to watch Marmol load the bases before getting 2 outs.

They also typically threw fewer than 70 pitches per game, as pitcher looked more to get batters out by getting them to hit the ball to a defender, rather than the strike out. Also, players didn't look at walks as necessarily good things, and were more aggressive than today's game. I've hear stories of guys pitching 18 innings in back-to-back games... and not reach 120 pitches combined.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh yeah, Marmol got the save.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
They also typically threw fewer than 70 pitches per game, as pitcher looked more to get batters out by getting them to hit the ball to a defender, rather than the strike out. Also, players didn't look at walks as necessarily good things, and were more aggressive than today's game. I've hear stories of guys pitching 18 innings in back-to-back games... and not reach 120 pitches combined.
I guess I never read too much into how many pitches thrown, but I knew about the crazy amount of innings and such.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Old guys like Cy Young also used to get to pitch off a taller mound, use spitballs and other doctored pitches, and pitching in much bigger ballparks. Pitching to contact is a lot easier when the threat of the ball leaving the yard is much lower.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
Makes sense. But he had something great going on. What if he had a no-hitter going and an 8 run lead? 100 pitches bottom of the 9th? Do you pull him then?

No... not unless he was looking like he was absolutely dead. I think the team has had a strange approach with Samardzija all season long. He wasn't stretched out very well in ST, and it showed with quick departures due to fatigue after just 80-90 pitches in April, May, and even June. Now, he seems to have a bit better stamina... but it's also come with more of a lag in his command and control at times. He's come back strong since the break though, at least he's looking stronger than earlier on. I personally would have kept him in there for the chance at the shut out tonight... but I'm also not getting orders from the FO either.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
No... not unless he was looking like he was absolutely dead. I think the team has had a strange approach with Samardzija all season long. He wasn't stretched out very well in ST, and it showed with quick departures due to fatigue after just 80-90 pitches in April, May, and even June. Now, he seems to have a bit better stamina... but it's also come with more of a lag in his command and control at times. He's come back strong since the break though, at least he's looking stronger than earlier on. I personally would have kept him in there for the chance at the shut out tonight... but I'm also not getting orders from the FO either.
Yeah, I didn't really take all that stuff into account. I just like to see cool shit happen. Now we just got a combined 2 hit shutout haha. Oh well, Cubs are back to their winning ways!! Still a damn good game for Jeff.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Samardzija had been working out pretty much since Thanksgiving so he had some "stretch-out" over the offseason prior to spring training. At the same time I think the most innings he's pitched professionally is something like 141 and he's recently passed 100 before this start. They're also shifting starts to give him extra rest. While he's got a relatively "young" arm despite his age, you still don't want this experiment to crap out because he's overextended. I think I'm okay with them being safe rather than sorry.

Mr. Cub

Liked Posts:
Man, all my pregame predictions have not came to fruition. I think I will start keeping them to myself.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
In case anyone forgot, Samardzija got the win and Marmol got a pretty solid save.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Today will ultimately be a loss if Dempster doesn't head to Atlanta for Delgado (plus).

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Today will ultimately be a loss if Dempster doesn't head to Atlanta for Delgado (plus).

There was a potential gain so at worst we stand pat, but I know what you mean.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
There was a potential gain so at worst we stand pat, but I know what you mean.

We can spin it however we want, but if the deal was Delgado plus for Dempster that was a homerun of a deal for (theoism). If Dempster doesn't accept it, it not only stings because missing out on the deal, but kills a ton of the CUbs leverage in that teams know Dempster is only going to go to certain teams.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
While we wait for Ryan Dempster to make up his mind, here’s Tuesday’s lineup vs. the Pirates:

DeJesus CF

Castro SS

Rizzo 1B

Soriano LF

LaHair RF

Soto C

Barney 2B

Valbuena 3B

Maholm P

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It is super hard to even pretend to care about anything except Dempster making up his fucking mind.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now they we know Dempster is considering the deal to Atlanta, they can't possibly let him start tomorrow can they?

Status
Not open for further replies.