Chicago stadium project - NFL owners discussing/voting today

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
The city of chicago and frankly and all of the neighboring suburbs need to make a stand. Publicly financed stadiums are common but it will continue until someone says no. Even when teams build their own stadiums, they will get some sort of tax break. It needs to end.

1. The McCaskey's don't have that kind of money... They are asset rich / Cash poor (relatively).
2. Illinois is spending $10B annually on pension funds, but a new stadium is where you want to make a stand on taxes... LOL.
3. If Chicago makes that "stand" there are a dozen cities lined up behind them that will build a new stadium.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Great. The mccaskeys can pay for their own stadium and lease them out and make more money the rest of the year.
Sure, or they can move if they don't want to build there own and another city will - thats what happens unfortunately

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
1. The McCaskey's don't have that kind of money... They are asset rich / Cash poor (relatively).
They can take a loan.
2. Illinois is spending $10B annually on pension funds, but a new stadium is where you want to make a stand on taxes... LOL.
They can tax even if bears owned the stadium. Not sure how this is a benefit.
3. If Chicago makes that "stand" there are a dozen cities lined up behind them that will build a new stadium.
Let them. At least it aint happening here.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Sure, or they can move if they don't want to build there own and another city will - thats what happens unfortunately
Great. They can call themselves the San Antonio Football Team

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:

Exactly, this state has spent itself into the poor house already (thanks politicians). A stadium for the fan base to use and enjoy is not the fiscal conservatism hill I want to die on.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
New England is trying to get a new stadium? Wasn’t Gillette just built in the early 2000’s?

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Arlington Heights practically giving away the land for a new stadium. Local gov’ts will give out tax breaks, but financing a stadium? Nope.

The Bears owners want to own a stadium like Jerry Jones, Stan Kroenke. Why share revenue if they have it all including naming rights to the stadium. The NFL will give them money like Davis and Raiders.

Also a franchise owning its stadium will at least double the worth of the franchise. This is the McCaskey’s long term goal. To sell high.
Even the tax breaks are wrong. Our schools are shit. Illinois has the second highest property taxes in the nation. No reason for them to get a property tax break. Our schools need it and we residents pay through the roof.

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
They can tax even if bears owned the stadium. Not sure how this is a benefit.

I'm just saying if you're worried about taxes in Illinois, reform the pension system... That would more than fund a new stadium.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
A stadium for the fan base to use and enjoy is not the fiscal conservatism hill I want to die on.
I really don't see this as a right vs left argument. In fact I bet the so called fiscal conservatives, support public stadiums.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I'm just saying if you're worried about taxes in Illinois, reform the pension system... That would more than fund a new stadium.
It needs to be reformed. Not sure why a broken pension fund is an excuse for a stadium. In fact it should be the opposite. The state is broke.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Even the tax breaks are wrong. Our schools are shit. Illinois has the second highest property taxes in the nation. No reason for them to get a property tax break. Our schools need it and we residents pay through the roof.
It’s a trade. They are also giving jobs and revenue to community by just being in the town. This increases sales in restaurants, bars, etc. it’s give and take.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just build the stadium in Naperville and raise everyone's property taxes. They can afford it.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
If our schools are shit I'd look no further than the teacher's unions and the curriculum and the Department of Education. It's certainly not a funding issue...I have no idea why citizens clamor to be taxed more, when all indication is that our local and federal government is awful at 1) budgeting 2) spending efficiently 3) not being corrupt self-serving A-holes

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
It’s a trade. They are also giving jobs and revenue to community by just being in the town. This increases sales in restaurants, bars, etc. it’s give and take.
A trade that doesn't need to be made. They can afford to pay taxes and build their own stadiums. They only reason the ask for public funds is because they can and cities and states cave in.

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Seasonal service industry jobs - yay!

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
If our schools are shit I'd look no further than the teacher's unions and the curriculum and the Department of Education. It's certainly not a funding issue...I have no idea why citizens clamor to be taxed more, when all indication is that our local and federal government is awful at 1) budgeting 2) spending efficiently 3) not being corrupt self-serving A-holes
I don't want to be taxed more. I just don't want the bears to be taxes less. They don't need the tax break.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I don't want to be taxed more. I just don't want the bears to be taxes less. They don't need the tax break.
I mean sure, but I'd be happy if everyone were taxed less. We're one of the few states where paying a mandatory ENTERTAINMENT tax is necessary. Every time you buy a video game, the state charges an entertainment tax. This is a perfect example of how all this "the rich need to be taxed more!" rhetoric never stops with just the rich. They want us all to be taxed more while they continue to spend the state into higher and higher deficits.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:

A trade that doesn't need to be made. They can afford to pay taxes and build their own stadiums. They only reason the ask for public funds is because they can and cities and states cave in.
No its becase the stadiums are owned partially by the public, not the teams. How else would the public fund the purchase of any real estate? Taxes

You let the Bears walk, it's a bad economic deal. That's why almost every city does it eventually

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really don't see this as a right vs left argument. In fact I bet the so called fiscal conservatives, support public stadiums.

The whole idea of these businesses being funded by the public is ludicrous... But there is nothing that anyone can do about it.

An owner can ask for whatever they want and if they don't get it then they can move their business somewhere else. Pretty simple really.