KingInTheNorth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I truly believe Illinois just needs 2 more terms of voting blue politicians to correct the state budget crisis, etc.

We got this!
The right blue candidate is just around the bend. We just have to get through 10 more and we are bound to stumble upon one or two good ones.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The city of chicago and frankly and all of the neighboring suburbs need to make a stand. Publicly financed stadiums are common but it will continue until someone says no. Even when teams build their own stadiums, they will get some sort of tax break. It needs to end.

ok, but is it known at what rate the city recoups that tax money? Like from taxing revenue associated with the stadium?

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
ok, but is it known at what rate the city recoups that tax money? Like from taxing revenue associated with the stadium?
It's usually not a benefit to cities. Publicly funded stadiums exist because there are more cities that want teams that there are teams. So you end up with a bidding war for teams. Owners make out like bandits.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If our schools are shit I'd look no further than the teacher's unions and the curriculum and the Department of Education. It's certainly not a funding issue...I have no idea why citizens clamor to be taxed more, when all indication is that our local and federal government is awful at 1) budgeting 2) spending efficiently 3) not being corrupt self-serving A-holes

wrong thread for this, but have to remark that this is just wrong

BaBaBlacksheep

Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I know I'm in the minority here but I like Soldier Field. Never understood what all the fuss was about. And they should have a Super Bowl there..... God forbid they play a football game in bad weather. The horror!!

Bust

Liked Posts:

Marijuana tax funds the stadium! VOTE YES!

Rise

Liked Posts:
I know I'm in the minority here but I like Soldier Field. Never understood what all the fuss was about. And they should have a Super Bowl there..... God forbid they play a football game in bad weather. The horror!!

Where else have you watched a game? I just ask because I’m on the opposite side of the fence, can’t think of a worse stadium.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I agree with you. I'm a STH since 1999 and I love the stadium. Still have never got the spaceship comparison
I've been to games in Detroit, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Phoenix, Tampa Bay, and Minneapolis and those stadiums are very nice as well. I can't wait to be back at Soldier Field for football again.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Been to games in Seattle, San Diego, Nashville, ST Louis , New Orleasns Denver and soldier field is as good or better than all of them.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
2006?

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
wrong thread for this, but have to remark that this is just wrong

What's wrong? The U.S. spends far more per pupil than any other country and yet lags years behind other countries in math and science competency. The big mistaken notion people have about our education system is that it's a problem of funding and all we have to do is toss more money at it

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What's wrong? The U.S. spends far more per pupil than any other country and yet lags years behind other countries in math and science competency. The big mistaken notion people have about our education system is that it's a problem of funding and all we have to do is toss more money at it

on average

the US is top 5 in spending per pupil - on average

however, that spending is not distributed evenly. It ranges from just over $2,000 to over $30,000 per kid. The disparity in spending is insane. That $2,000 figure puts those schools somewhere between Columbia and Indonesia.

and because such a big chunk of funding comes from property taxes, it means schools in poor areas are fucked and always will be. it's why rich neighborhoods and suburbs make damn sure they have their own school district. So they don't have to share with the poor areas.

And since their schools are fucked cause funding is tied to property value, there is almost no hope of ever rising above poverty since education is the primary means for class jumping.

also, the idea that schools are broadly rife with spending inefficiency and fraud is just stupid. You won't find another profession with more spending oversight. My school gets audited 4 fucking times every year.

I have to fill out literally 4 sets of paperwork for every dollar of my allotted budget I try to spend. And there is a very narrow range of what I can buy. My budget for consumables this year was $50 per semester. They rest has come out of my pocket. I keep a record and last year I spent more than $4,800 out of pocket that will never be reimbursed.

If there is inefficiency, then it comes from the absurd oversight driven by boomer assholes that haven't seen the inside of a school for 30 years and somehow think people become public teachers so they can get rich scamming their district.

I understand that you went to school, so you think you know something about it. But in this instance, you are dead wrong

Last edited:

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
on average

the US is top 5 in spending per pupil - on average

however, that spending is not distributed evenly. It ranges from just over $2,000 to over $30,000 per kid. The disparity in spending is insane. That $2,000 figure puts those schools somewhere between Columbia and Indonesia.

and because such a big chunk of funding comes from property taxes, it means schools in poor areas are fucked and always will be. it's why rich neighborhoods and suburbs make damn sure they have their own school district. So they don't have to share with the poor areas.

And since their schools are fucked cause funding is tied to property value, there is almost no hope of ever rising above poverty since education is the primary means for class jumping.

also, the idea that schools are broadly rife with spending inefficiency and fraud is just stupid. You won't find another profession with more spending oversight. My school gets audited 4 fucking times every year.

I have to fill out literally 4 sets of paperwork for every dollar of my allotted budget I try to spend. And there is a very narrow range of what I can buy. My budget for consumables this year was $50 per semester. They rest has come out of my pocket. I keep a record and last year I spent more than $4,800 out of pocket that will never be reimbursed.

If there is inefficiency, then it comes from the absurd oversight driven by boomer assholes that haven't seen the inside of a school for 30 years and somehow think people become public teachers so they can get rich scamming their district.

I understand that you went to school, so you think you know something about it. But in this instance, you are dead wrong

I think many of these problems can be alleviated by 1) not forcing students into specific (failing) schools based on where they live 2) making it easier to fire bad teachers 3) raising the standard for the hiring of teachers & paying the good teachers more.

In other words, I would not increase funding to bad schools nor to bad teachers, I would close those schools and fire those bad teachers. It's just like any business, if a particular business is bad, and offers a low quality product or service, you should not be forced to buy that product or service. You should be able to shop around for a better business.

In countries where the education system is highly ranked, they follow this philosophy; they do not necessarily spend more on average per student. But what they do is they have stricter hiring standards for teachers and they pay those teachers more. The U.S. spends, on average, far more per student than the next country does and achieves far below-average results.

Much of the inefficiency comes from the Department of Education, which subsidizes student loans to anyone who wants them, which has led us into this student debt crisis. As usual, this idea came from good intentions, but led to a disastrous result. The government wanted everyone to have access to higher education, so they decided to get into the business of lending. But the wide availability of government subsidized loans led to ballooning tuition costs and high default rates. This is a far cry from education leading to class-jumping; it's created an entire underclass of debtors.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The city of chicago and frankly and all of the neighboring suburbs need to make a stand. Publicly financed stadiums are common but it will continue until someone says no. Even when teams build their own stadiums, they will get some sort of tax break. It needs to end.

No one really gives a shit. They just like to bitch about it.

There. There's your stand.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think many of these problems can be alleviated by 1) not forcing students into specific (failing) schools based on where they live 2) making it easier to fire bad teachers 3) raising the standard for the hiring of teachers & paying the good teachers more.

In other words, I would not increase funding to bad schools nor to bad teachers, I would close those schools and fire those bad teachers. It's just like any business, if a particular business is bad, and offers a low quality product or service, you should not be forced to buy that product or service. You should be able to shop around for a better business.

In countries where the education system is highly ranked, they follow this philosophy; they do not necessarily spend more on average per student. But what they do is they have stricter hiring standards for teachers and they pay those teachers more. The U.S. spends, on average, far more per student than the next country does and achieves far below-average results.

Much of the inefficiency comes from the Department of Education, which subsidizes student loans to anyone who wants them, which has led us into this student debt crisis. As usual, this idea came from good intentions, but led to a disastrous result. The government wanted everyone to have access to higher education, so they decided to get into the business of lending. But the wide availability of government subsidized loans led to ballooning tuition costs and high default rates. This is a far cry from education leading to class-jumping; it's created an entire underclass of debtors.

sigh

sorry everyone

I will just say that education is a full blown career path that people devote their lives to.

Yet it seems to be the one field where nobody bothers to consult the people actually in it.

Rather it's some bizarro world where everyone thinks they have the answers and want to tell you all about them because they they were students back when they were teenagers

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
sigh

sorry everyone

I will just say that education is a full blown career path that people devote their lives to.

Yet it seems to be the one field where nobody bothers to consult the people actually in it.

Rather it's some bizarro world where everyone thinks they have the answers and want to tell you all about them because they they were students back when they were teenagers

Because the things we've been doing have obviously not been working. And it's not your fault, I'm blaming the government and the voters.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I disagree. A lot of people care when tax dollars are used for private companies.

They care to a point. Usually that point is the point where they have to cross over and stop bitching and start actually doing something about it.

I have yet to meet a significant amount of people who care enough about it to go beyond that point and get active about that.

In short, they bitch and act like they care but in the end do nothing and attempt nothing.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
You're clearly projecting when you accuse me of blaming others for my being poor. You blame the rich for your being poor. An inability or unwillingness to recognize one's own hypocrisy is a bad quality in a person. Work on that.
If you can't see that everything is overwhelmingly stacked in favor of the rich and they have most politicians in their pocket then you are not paying attention or only getting information from the giant corporate media. Unless you are in the 1% we are all getting played. Corporations help right laws now. Politicians mostly only care about getting reelected and that takes a lot of money.