Coming to Orlando on vacation? Ask me anything...

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've never visited Florida, nothing there appeals to me. Lower taxes does sound appealing considering IL is at the beginning of an all out deluge of taxes from the new regime.

The weather is the winter is very, very appealing. Very.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
1. You got bull sharks in fresh water?
2. Have you ever been to Maine?
3. Ever see any pythons?
4. Are alligators a problem at all or no?
1. I've heard of them coming up into the Indian River Lagoon (brackish water, and my normal fishing grounds), but I've never seen one.
2. When I was young.
3. Only on the news. Big problem in South FL with people releasing invasive species into the Everglades.
4. No problem for me. I mean, sometimes shit happens, but I've seen tons of them swimming / kayaking / etc and they are pretty fucking chill.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
@Briggs is GOAT you seem really concerned about alligators and sharks. Want to know what could actually kill you if you come here on vacation? I-4. Seriously the most fucked up interstate in the country. Just Google deadliest interstate in America. I'm super familiar with it, and have driven up and down thousands of times, and still pretty white knuckled through certain sections. Especially recently as there is a fuckload of construction going on. It's hands down the most dangerous thing about visiting here.

Last edited:

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would like to offer my services for anyone that would like to take a vacation to Iowa. Just let me know!!

If I were to drive through Iowa would I have to stock up on gas, food, water etc in a neighboring state or are there places in Iowa to buy this stuff?

Also how can I keep myself from falling asleep while driving across the state?

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
@Briggs is GOAT you seem really concerned about alligators and sharks. Want to know what could actually kill you if you come here on vacation? I-4. Seriously the most fucked up interstate in the country. Just Google deadliest interstate in America. I'm super familiar with it, and have driven up and down thousands of times, and still pretty white knuckled through certain sections. Especially recently as there is a fuckload of construction going on. It's hands down the most dangerous thing about visiting here.
I'm really just interested in them.

I also always have a little bit of anxiety when driving. It doesn't matter where/when. I'm glad I do, it always keeps me 100% focused.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
We have been to Orlando for Disney World / Universal the last 2 years. Disneyland in Anaheim the year before that. My wife and I and our daughter are HUGE Disney fans.

Stayed at Hilton Bonnet Creek in 2018 and Universal Sapphire Falls this year. Bonnet Creek was better but Universal didn't disappoint either.

Chocolate Emporium at Universal City Walk was my favorite restaurant until we tried The Boathouse at Disney Springs. Morimoto there was good too.

From either your experience or talking with others, would you recommend eating dinner at Cinderella's castle? I understand it is super expensive and you have to book months in advance. My wife wants to eat at Victoria and Albert's at Grand Floridian which is like the number 1 restaurant in the state of Florida. Haha, like that is gonna happen.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We have been to Orlando for Disney World / Universal the last 2 years. Disneyland in Anaheim the year before that. My wife and I and our daughter are HUGE Disney fans.

Stayed at Hilton Bonnet Creek in 2018 and Universal Sapphire Falls this year. Bonnet Creek was better but Universal didn't disappoint either.

Chocolate Emporium at Universal City Walk was my favorite restaurant until we tried The Boathouse at Disney Springs. Morimoto there was good too.

From either your experience or talking with others, would you recommend eating dinner at Cinderella's castle? I understand it is super expensive and you have to book months in advance. My wife wants to eat at Victoria and Albert's at Grand Floridian which is like the number 1 restaurant in the state of Florida. Haha, like that is gonna happen.
Funny that you mentioned Sapphire Falls, just got back from there this afternoon. I also like Bonnet Creek better, but it's the closest approximation on Universal's property IMO.

Regarding dinner at the Castle, it would probably be a memorable experience if you have a little girl, but it's a lot of money to drop on what I've heard isn't exactly an amazing meal. Mostly about the experience.

I've never been to V&A personally, but I've heard really good things. That said, there are plenty of places around to have a top notch dining experience outside of Victoria and Albert's, at a lower cost. It's hard for me to gauge since I've never actually eaten at V&A, but I'd guess La Luce (Bonnett Creek) and Bull & Bear (Waldorf next door) are both pretty close as far as resort area restaurants go.

I'm kind of a hole in the wall type guy, although I do enjoy those places on occasion. I'm probably better suited to tell you where the best pho, tacos, bbq, etc are near downtown :)

Last edited:

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where can I get the best blackened gator po boy?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Funny that you mentioned Sapphire Falls, just got back from there this afternoon. I also like Bonnet Creek better, but it's the closest approximation on Universal's property IMO.

Regarding dinner at the Castle, it would probably be a memorable experience if you have a little girl, but it's a lot of money to drop on what I've heard isn't exactly an amazing meal. Mostly about the experience.

I've never been to V&A personally, but I've heard really good things. That said, there are plenty of places around to have a top notch dining experience outside of Victoria and Albert's, at a lower cost. It's hard for me to gauge since I've never actually eaten at V&A, but I'd guess La Luce (Bonnett Creek) and Bull & Bear (Waldorf next door) are both pretty close as far as resort area restaurants go.

I'm kind of a hole in the wall type guy, although I do enjoy those places on occasion. I'm probably better suited to tell you where the best pho, tacos, bbq, etc are near downtown :)
Daughter is 3 now. She just got into the whole experience this past year (first 2 times were basically for us lol).

What would you recommend for Vietnamese? Wife is from there. We went to one place for Pho and and another that specialized in other things like those tiny dishes with banh beo. Both were like 15-20 minutes from the resort.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
How are the roads? Are they paved by a respected paving company? Do they use concrete or is it just asphalt? Is Disney in Orlando ?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Daughter is 3 now. She just got into the whole experience this past year (first 2 times were basically for us lol).

What would you recommend for Vietnamese? Wife is from there. We went to one place for Pho and and another that specialized in other things like those tiny dishes with banh beo. Both were like 15-20 minutes from the resort.
We have a huge Vietnamese community, but it's right near downtown, the Mills 50 district. Probably 20 mins from Universal, longer from Disney and really depending on traffic (which can be a real bitch). This dude's blog hits on a lot of stuff in that area, but if you're looking for specifics just let me know:

It's a wonderful area of town and not something most tourists see. Plus you're right there in all the little pockets of neighborhoods that make "Orlando" Orlando. If you're into Vietnamese stuff, it's definitely worth a visit.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
How are the roads? Are they paved by a respected paving company? Do they use concrete or is it just asphalt? Is Disney in Orlando ?
Right now we have this thing going on called the "I-4 ultimate" project, which loosely translates into Mad Max Fury Road. Please help.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Also re the Castle thing, I'd say wait until your daughter can actually remember it. Like 6-8?

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If I were to drive through Iowa would I have to stock up on gas, food, water etc in a neighboring state or are there places in Iowa to buy this stuff?

Also how can I keep myself from falling asleep while driving across the state?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
We have lots of gas stations. Those gas stations also sell coffee.

Thanks for you questions!!

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Where can I get the best blackened gator po boy?
That's a good one. There are a few good Cajun restaurants around, but I've never noticed that on the menu. Next time I pop into my local place I'll have to ask the owner if they can make it. I know they have blackened gator as an app, and make like 10 different kinds of po boys, so I wouldn't see why not. Except it would probably be a $20+ sandwich, because gator tends to be a bit on the expensive side.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
@nvanprooyen, I have a 2, 5, and 6 yr we plan on taking next year for 6-7 days.

What is the easiest way to do Disney with young kids so I don't flip my shit?

How should I get around? I will need a car seat and 2 booster seats if I rent a car/van.

Stay on or off Disney property?

Rent a house for the week?

I'd be interested to hear your recommendations on places to stay, game-planning for kids getting tired of walking, naps, etc. I am pretty much asking you to be my Disney travel planner :). One thing I remember really enjoying was eating at the different country restaurants at the world showcase at Epcot so I am definitely getting park hoppers.