Coming to Orlando on vacation? Ask me anything...

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
@nvanprooyen, I have a 2, 5, and 6 yr we plan on taking next year for 6-7 days.

What is the easiest way to do Disney with young kids so I don't flip my shit?

How should I get around? I will need a car seat and 2 booster seats if I rent a car/van.

Stay on or off Disney property?

Rent a house for the week?

I'd be interested to hear your recommendations on places to stay, game-planning for kids getting tired of walking, naps, etc. I am pretty much asking you to be my Disney travel planner :). One thing I remember really enjoying was eating at the different country restaurants at the world showcase at Epcot so I am definitely getting park hoppers.
One thing we did that I recommend is not having more than 2 straight days at a major theme park. My phone tracks how much we walk and it's like 5-10 miles a day if you are at Magic Kingdom. So we always had a day conveniently planned in between that was easier in nature like spending the first half of the day at the resort pool and then maybe going to City Walk for dinner.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
One thing we did that I recommend is not having more than 2 straight days at a major theme park. My phone tracks how much we walk and it's like 5-10 miles a day if you are at Magic Kingdom. So we always had a day conveniently planned in between that was easier in nature like spending the first half of the day at the resort pool and then maybe going to City Walk for dinner.
This is good advice. That shit can be extremely exhausting. I've always felt bad for families that come here and go to the parks from open to close on consecutive days, especially when it's hot. That shit is madness. When I was a Disney Annual Passholder, we would usually schedule Fast Passes for a handful of things and be in and out in 3-4hrs.

@Midway Mitch as far as renting a vehicle goes, it really comes down to how much you want to venture outside of the parks. Public transportation here sucks, so if you want to explore the area it's a good idea (KSC, beaches, springs, whatever).

On the flip side, if you're planning on sticking to the attractions most resorts have shuttles to get you around (and if on property this is even more convenient). Also driving around here sucks balls. I-4 is a god damn nightmare, but the toll roads to bypass downtown aren't too bad (e.g. 417 and 429) depending on where you are going.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Here's a tip that I was just reminded of this weekend. If you get a flyer for pizza slid under your hotel room door, do not order. It's a scam. You will either get charged and never get your pizza, or you'll get something hours later that's complete trash (e.g. some dude cooking a cheap frozen pizza in his oven). This has been going on for years. Surprised these clowns haven't gotten busted yet. Menu will be from some genetically named place like "Orlando Pizza & Wings" with no physical street address.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Orlando is basically my least favorite city in the entire country. IMO it's a cultural blackhole. I'm there once a year and dread it.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@nvanprooyen I will be in Orlando the weekend of 7/26-7/28, hitting Universal Studios and then heading off on a cruise out of Port Canaveral Monday afternoon.

Any advice on bars/dinner spots near Universal or within an Uber ride?

I'm also wondering what we might do to fill the time Monday if we have to wait to board, but there may not be many good answers for that since we'll be saddled with luggage.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I can echo this, having done it 5 days in a row when I was like 9 and again when I was maybe 11 or 12.

No wonder people have toddlers who have meltdowns, they are literally fucking melting.

Those trips did wonders for my feet callouses though.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
@nvanprooyen I will be in Orlando the weekend of 7/26-7/28, hitting Universal Studios and then heading off on a cruise out of Port Canaveral Monday afternoon.

Any advice on bars/dinner spots near Universal or within an Uber ride?

I'm also wondering what we might do to fill the time Monday if we have to wait to board, but there may not be many good answers for that since we'll be saddled with luggage.
There are a few good places right in CityWalk. A couple of my favorites are Antojitos and Cowfish. NBC Sports Grill has a huge beer list, and the food isn't too bad either. Off property but close, restaurant row on Sand Lake has a bunch of options (mostly higher end): https://photos.orlandoweekly.com/20...andos-restaurant-row/?slide=1&kokinos_website

On Monday, what hours are you gonna be waiting? Will you have a vehicle?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Orlando is basically my least favorite city in the entire country. IMO it's a cultural blackhole. I'm there once a year and dread it.
I'd agree with you if you're talking about the area around the attractions. It is what it is. Endless chains, souvenir shops etc built for tourists. But there are a lot of cool little neighborhoods around actual Orlando, and plenty of non-touristy things to experience.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are a few good places right in CityWalk. A couple of my favorites are Antojitos and Cowfish. NBC Sports Grill has a huge beer list, and the food isn't too bad either. Off property but close, restaurant row on Sand Lake has a bunch of options (mostly higher end): https://photos.orlandoweekly.com/20...andos-restaurant-row/?slide=1&kokinos_website

On Monday, what hours are you gonna be waiting? Will you have a vehicle?

No vehicle, just using Uber or walking....

I don't know for certain what hours, but my concern right now is we'll get up, have breakfast, checkout of the hotel, and have say 2-4 hours to kill before our boarding time.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No vehicle, just using Uber or walking....

I don't know for certain what hours, but my concern right now is we'll get up, have breakfast, checkout of the hotel, and have say 2-4 hours to kill before our boarding time.
How are you getting over there?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I'd agree with you if you're talking about the area around the attractions. It is what it is. Endless chains, souvenir shops etc built for tourists. But there are a lot of cool little neighborhoods around actual Orlando, and plenty of non-touristy things to experience.
I never understood why so many people go on a vacation and then end up eating at like Olive Garden for dinner. I mean, WTF.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
To the port? Uber.
There are a handful of waterfront bar / restaurants close to the terminal. E.g. Grills, Fishlips. Usually have live music, but probably not on a Monday AM. KSC is close, as are several decent beaches (e.g. Canaveral National Seashore), but not options given the luggage/time constraints.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I never understood why so many people go on a vacation and then end up eating at like Olive Garden for dinner. I mean, WTF.

Some people are afraid of restaurants that are unknown/non-familiar.

I have family like that, prefer to stick to the stuff they know.

I used to be like that, but now I like the unknown of a new restaurant.

Also... kids... some people have kids who are such a pain in the ass about food, it is safer for them to go places they know have certain items they can get their kids to eat, versus trying something new and spending the entire meal fighting with a toddler because this restaurant has mozzarella wedges instead of sticks.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Some people are afraid of restaurants that are unknown/non-familiar.

I have family like that, prefer to stick to the stuff they know.

I used to be like that, but now I like the unknown of a new restaurant.

Also... kids... some people have kids who are such a pain in the ass about food, it is safer for them to go places they know have certain items they can get their kids to eat, versus trying something new and spending the entire meal fighting with a toddler because this restaurant has mozzarella wedges instead of sticks.
My daughter can be like that. We go the whole meal and she doesn't eat a thing. Then we take it to go. Eventually hunger sets in and she eats it. But we were tricked for a while to giving in to the tantrums. First year at Disney Springs, we got her a balloon. Not just any balloon, but a 15 dollar balloon that has a mickey head balloon inside a clear balloon. This year, she threw the tantrum because she wanted the balloon. Now I am smart enough not to spend 15 bucks on a fucking balloon when she will forget about it 5 minutes later.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
what about when you take her to Kuma's Korner?

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, Orlando itself sucks. Can't speak for the burbs.