Consider the source, but allegedly Watson is plan a, Wilson's plan b.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
For the record, if Seattle decides not to trade Wilson, and Atlanta ends up drafting a quarterback, I do think the Bears end up with Matt Ryan when all is said and done.

I realize he's not anyone's first choice, but in that scenario he'd come cheaper and he's heads and shoulders above anyone else the Bears could get that is actually available.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
For the record, if Seattle decides not to trade Wilson, and Atlanta ends up drafting a quarterback, I do think the Bears end up with Matt Ryan when all is said and done.

I realize he's not anyone's first choice, but in that scenario he'd come cheaper and he's heads and shoulders above anyone else the Bears could get that is actually available.
How much signing bonus is left for Ryan? Not sure if bears can afford it..

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t see Ryan here at all. Not that he’d be a bad bridge but he’d probably rather go to SF and Atlanta would more than likely work with them to appease Ryan since he’s been nothing but a stand up guy for them.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Sooooooo nothing has changed.

kind of weird but yes that is the news. With all this hype and everything going on, the news is that nothing really has changed other than the Bears have reached out to the Seahawks in some manner and the Seahawks are listening, but not yet reciprocating.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don’t see Ryan here at all. Not that he’d be a bad bridge but he’d probably rather go to SF and Atlanta would more than likely work with them to appease Ryan since he’s been nothing but a stand up guy for them.

I'm not talking about a trade...

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You think Atlanta is going to cut him and be left holding 49 million against their cap?

Learn how the cap works.

if they cut Matt Ryan after June 1st they actually save 17.5 million against the cap

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You know I didn't realize this but the falcons actually save even more money by trading Matt Ryan after June 1st then if just cutting him.

People need to understand that when it comes to cap, the overall cap number isn't what's important when talking about player dealings. What's important is Cap savings versus dead money.

Dead money only matters if you are thinking of removing a player but don't have a viable replacement.

However that can be offset if the cap savings by cutting said player gives you enough money to fill that need.

The reason the total cap number becomes unimportant is because signing bonuses and everything stay with the original team and certain sunk costs cannot be recouped. So when teams are dealing with player transactions, the deal in the benefit of whether someone can free up cap space by being cut. The dead money really doesn't even become a factor unless you can't afford a replacement for the player you are trying to cut.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Learn how the cap works.

if they cut Matt Ryan after June 1st they actually save 17.5 million against the cap

So, 23 million of dead money?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So, 23 million of dead money?
You need to understand that dead money is dead whether they keep him or trade him. So it becomes a rather moot point.

If they draft a quarterback, then they can free up 17 million in order to pull in free agents to surround the new quarterback with talent, and sign a cheap veteran to help tutor the young man.

or they can hold on to Matt Ryan for another year knowing they're going to replace him and get potentially less for him if they do think about trading him.

The point being, you're making an awful lot about the dead cap money when unless you are in a particular situation, which of the Falcons aren't in right now, it's not as relevant

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions

Matt Ryan, yeah unless the Falcons bear the burden of his salary and trade him before June 1, I'd rather take a shot at a cheaper option in FA. But even if you disagree with that philosophy, Ryan seems far more problematic for more reasons.

I get what you are saying about AFTER June 1, but that is a hell of a gamble letting QBs go during the bull rush period of FA and then trying hard to get a young QB in the draft somehow and hoping to hell ATL doesn't change their mind/ get a better offer from some other team that lost out on a young first rounder they wanted in April.

Not ideal at all in any way I see.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I think if your job is on the line you ain’t waiting on June for a QB. The prospect of Matt Ryan just bores the shit out of me ?

Rise

Liked Posts:
Says a whole lot of nothing, doesn't know shit.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Idc how much savings ATL gets. No Matt Ryan here

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Falcons eat $25m in 2022 if they trade Ryan post-June 1.

Could be, but that is an amount that would hinder them a good deal that year.

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I wouldn't be mad, but I believe it's Watson, Wilson or trade up in the draft and that's it

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
So...typical dumbass Bears fans got their hopes up for nothing. If only they listened to reality?

Anyone with a brain knew Seattle was never gonna take the cap hit, send a HOFer out of town and be left with Gino Smith. Duh.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So...typical dumbass Bears fans got their hopes up for nothing. If only they listened to reality?

Anyone with a brain knew Seattle was never gonna take the cap hit, send a HOFer out of town and be left with Gino Smith. Duh.
Damn Seattle came out and said they weren't trading Wilson?