Could you GM the Bears?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Don't have the time. If I had a whole scouting staff and it was my job that would be a different story.

Then what basis are you relying on when you say that you "can probably spot a DL better too"? Just speculation on your part? If you don't have time to do the work, how could you possibly know, or presume, this?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't have the time. If I had a whole scouting staff and it was my job that would be a different story.

What you're sayin' is that you could be GM if everyone else did the work for you............

I have been trying to convince the board of directors at Intel that I could be CEO if I could get someone else to do the hard work for me......no luck yet...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You work for Intel? No shit. I have a cousin that works for Intel in Mexico. He loves it. He is the one that inspired me to study computer engineering.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What you're sayin' is that you could be GM if everyone else did the work for you............

I have been trying to convince the board of directors at Intel that I could be CEO if I could get someone else to do the hard work for me......no luck yet...

Does the president of Intel spend a lot of time loading trucks or building processors in Costa Rica?

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, Tom Hagen wouldn't think that he could just step in and replace Vito. Fredo would.

Whoa hoss! You compared Vito to Phil Emery. That is preposterous. Vito was a self made millionaire and mob boss with politicians in his pocket. Phil is an average NFL GM so far.

Also, Tom was clearly interested in moving into that part of the family business and was frustrated at being limited to counselor.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
You work for Intel? No shit. I have a cousin that works for Intel in Mexico. He loves it. He is the one that inspired me to study computer engineering.

I thought the employee purchase program would be better.....just ok

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Whoa hoss! You compared Vito to Phil Emery. That is preposterous. Vito was a self made millionaire and mob boss with politicians in his pocket. Phil is an average NFL GM so far.

Also, Tom was clearly interested in moving into that part of the family business and was frustrated at being limited to counselor.

Phil's not a self made millionaire? Seems to me it was his hardwork and ambition that got him his role as a GM of an NFL team.

More importantly, answer my question on what basis you rely on that you could "probably do better at DL"

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Phil's not a self made millionaire? Seems to me it was his hardwork and ambition that got him his role as a GM of an NFL team.

More importantly, answer my question on what basis you rely on that you could "probably do better at DL"

I hope you aren't taking the godfather metaphors too seriously. Al Davis or Jerry Buss are more reasonable sports comps for Vito if you really want to be fair to the fictional Don.

I actually said NWfisch could do better in the DL department after he said he could do better with QB.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I hope you aren't taking the godfather metaphors too seriously. Al Davis or Jerry Buss are more reasonable sports comps for Vito if you really want to be fair to the fictional Don.

I actually said NWfisch could do better in the DL department after he said he could do better with QB.

I don't really care about the God Father references. I'm more concerned about your delusions of grandeur. To be blunt, your belief that you can somehow manage an entire organization as the GM screams of immaturity and a lack of leadership. I would say you aren't ready to lead a single person. If you already are, you probably aren't that good at it.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tom had the experience. You have none. Kind of the heart of the matter, no?

I read the book in high school so my recall is faded. I thought Tom specifically had been kept from all crime just like Michael who was a novice gangster at the outset.

BTW, remember, the Godfather was a novel.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Off subject, kinda, I think Phil's a good GM. 2 pro bowlers isn't bad at all. I guess the only thing that worries me so far is his inability to draft defense. McClellin and Gardin r obliviously busts on some level.. And i don't think Bosic has what it takes for MLB. Get it done Phil!

I think that he's a good GM thus far also. Can't really harpoon him on defensive players either. I really think that McClellin was the guy that Lovie wanted. He always liked undersized linemen on defense.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
My name is Bob, how may I help you?

offshore-outsourcing-to-india-2.jpg

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't really care about the God Father references. I'm more concerned about your delusions of grandeur. To be blunt, your belief that you can somehow manage an entire organization as the GM screams of immaturity and a lack of leadership. I would say you aren't ready to lead a single person. If you already are, you probably aren't that good at it.

Maybe you are right. Maybe I can't make the small number of decisions, from a limited set of options that is required by an NFL GM.

I guess the NFL GM is a special breed of man. To even think that an educated person, capable of working long hours,with a full staff in support could be a mediocre GM is blasphemy.

No way I could watch tape and read reports. No way I could ask coaches and scouts who work for me to opine. Nope, and most damning of all, there is no way I could pull of the lanyard look so well. You got me!

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Maybe you are right. Maybe I can't make the small number of decisions, from a limited set of options that is required by an NFL GM.

I guess the NFL GM is a special breed of man. To even think that an educated person, capable of working long hours,with a full staff in support could be a mediocre GM is blasphemy.

No way I could watch tape and read reports. No way I could ask coaches and scouts who work for me to opine. Nope, and most damning of all, there is no way I could pull of the lanyard look so well. You got me!

I never said you couldn't had you developed the experience. However, you haven't. And you seem to think you would be fine jumping in right now. That's what i'm referring to. You wouldn't be fine. The fact that you cannot see or comprehend that you would actually bring an NFL organization to a screeching halt because you have no experience or knowledge on running an organization, or even the inner workings of a team let alone the NFL. You are completely misguided in your belief.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You didn't get the joke? I think the GM should build a roster and mostly be quiet. I laughed when all the rubes swooned over Emery's corporate speak press conferences. Public speaking is low on the list of needed skills if you ask my opinion. Bears fans were so happy to have change that they acted like it meant something.

To me it is pretty simple, really. Unless someone has great experience in an industry, the chance that they can just step in and be a good general manager of a large company like the Bear's are is pretty rare. First quality of a good GM in my opinion is the ability to hire an excellent management team around you because no one knows everything about any business. Secondly, the person needs to be organized and hold people accountable and reward success and don't reward failure.

The thing about being an NFL general manager is that the time frame in which many owners demand excellence is short and sometimes these owners are themselves pretty bad at being managers themselves.

I also think that the Bear's took a chance on Emery and also Trestman because neither had GM or Head Coach experience in the NFL. So it is up to these two guys to prove themselves which neither have done as yet. But I think that a good owner would give his GM about 5 years to get him into the division finals and the Head Coach similarly unless either demonstrates clearly that he doesn't measure up to the job.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Why stop at GM? Why not CEO or astronaut or master blogger?