Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Why stop at GM? Why not CEO or astronaut or master blogger?

little_lion_tamer_by_brookette-d5xrhhy.jpg

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
While some people have offered some decent arguments against, a reasonable man as GM, most have just exaggerated the scope of the job,made ludicrous comparisons and terrible metaphors.

It looks like folks got their straw men , appeals to authority and moving goal posts from the internet illogical argument playbook.

Pretty weak work over all. I'd put together examples if I wasn't on a phone but my favorite was the guy who quoted me making consistent arguments but didn't understand the consistency and posted them like a gotcha.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
so you wouldn't hire any of us as gms?

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
While some people have offered some decent arguments against, a reasonable man as GM, most have just exaggerated the scope of the job,made ludicrous comparisons and terrible metaphors.

It looks like folks got their straw men , appeals to authority and moving goal posts from the internet illogical argument playbook.

Pretty weak work over all. I'd put together examples if I wasn't on a phone but my favorite was the guy who quoted me making consistent arguments but didn't understand the consistency and posted them like a gotcha.

I disagree. The only weak ass arguments put out there were by you. You assumed that a GM's daily job duties consists only of delegating. You, mistakenly I might add, pointed to a general class of jobs (i.e. politicians) and said "see look, they do it! So can I" without ever pointing to a single politician who has taken the path you assumed occurred all the time. You never cited any ACTUAL reasons or the BASIS for those reasons as to why you'd make a good GM.

On the other hand, people correctly pointed out that every GM: a) knows the people in the industry; b) have scouted players; c) know the rules of the NFL; d) know industry practice and standards; e) know what makes a good employee in the industry; and f) have experience managing people. All of these qualifications are not qualifications that you possess today. And this is trivializing what an NFL GM does. Like everything, you REALLY do need the experience.

I think this is a product of a conflated ego and immaturity. If I had to guess, and this isn't an insult, I'd say you were in college right now. If I'm right, I'll say that the reason you made the comments you made was because of a lack of experience. The end.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree. The only weak ass arguments put out there were by you. You assumed that a GM's daily job duties consists only of delegating. You, mistakenly I might add, pointed to a general class of jobs (i.e. politicians) and said "see look, they do it! So can I" without ever pointing to a single politician who has taken the path you assumed occurred all the time. You never cited any ACTUAL reasons or the BASIS for those reasons as to why you'd make a good GM.

On the other hand, people correctly pointed out that every GM: a) knows the people in the industry; b) have scouted players; c) know the rules of the NFL; d) know industry practice and standards; e) know what makes a good employee in the industry; and f) have experience managing people. All of these qualifications are not qualifications that you possess today. And this is trivializing what an NFL GM does. Like everything, you REALLY do need the experience.

I think this is a product of a conflated ego combined with immaturity. If I had to guess, and this isn't an insult, I'd say you were in college right now. If I'm right, I'll say that the reason you made the comments you made was because of a lack of experience. The end.

It starts Strawman then smoothly transitions to personal attack while confusing conflated with inflated.

Well done sir. You responded to my critique of the poor argument in this thread with a poor argument.

Last edited:

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you are confusing conflated with confusing.

Reactions: WCL

Nick80

JDB. Late bloomer but is now pushing hard to be the number two behind Rory a Firstimer has lost a step or two the last six months or so.

"Ready to push circles when there are none, a floater, could push for the starting job if the number hits twenty, no chip on his shoulder but plenty of flannel, time and effort to get his status up to where he finds himself going into the offseason, could be more to come"

Kiper.jpg

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'd have paid Tim Tebow all the money Cutler got.

I win.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
[video=youtube;xNzBgR0UoYo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzBgR0UoYo[/video]

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:

LOL! The only thing consistent about your arguments is that they're consistently Special person. You've done nothing but make yourself look like a fool for 17 pages, solid work, BF51 would be proud lmao... :clap:

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
It starts Strawman then smoothly transitions to personal attack while conflating conflated with inflated.

Well done sir. You responded to my critique of the poor argument in this thread with a poor argument.

It's not a personal attack, it's an observation. Sorry if you were offended by it.

As to the strawman argument issue, I think you could really use a lesson in what a "strawman" argument is. A "straw man" argument is where there is an issue at hand "Whether you would be as good as Phil Emery or could run an NFL Team" and your opponent in said argument then ignores the issue and points to a similar but not the same issue. I pointed to the fact that you've given us no reason as to why you would be as good as Phil Emery or could run an NFL team. I've also pointed to skills you lack that other GM's have gained through experience. I.e. skills that would make someone capable of being as good as Phil Emery. 100% of these topics are on point with whether you would make an "average" gm (your words). You have addressed none of them. Instead you point to the straw men in the room. I.e. the straw men you created.

And I'm sorry about the conflate issue, I didn't mean to include both the word combine and conflate.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

So saying that Emery failed in not fixing the offensive line in year one then later saying the reality is he was not in a position to influence many positions in year one is consistency? That is blatant backtracking to me. The only thing you have been consistent on is your delusion that you could have done as well as Emery has thus far.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
polls_delusions_0554_584903_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

I wish there was some sort of petition I could sign to install JDB as GM of the Packers with BearsFan51 as his scouting director. I think I speak for everyone when I say we'd all LOVE to watch them do irrevocable damage burning that franchise to the ground in 1 season before getting fired.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
wish there was some sort of petition I could sign to install JDB as GM of the Packers with BearsFan51 as his scouting director. I think I speak for everyone when I say we'd all LOVE to watch them do irrevocable damage burning that franchise to the ground in 1 season before getting fired.

Could Bearnut be the assistant GM? That dude's theories on how to build a roster were hilarious. Basically, once a decent player hit 28 you trade him for anything you could get and then you'll miraculously draft better replacements every...fucking...time.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's not a personal attack, it's an observation. Sorry if you were offended by it.

As to the strawman argument issue, I think you could really use a lesson in what a "strawman" argument is. A "straw man" argument is where there is an issue at hand "Whether you would be as good as Phil Emery or could run an NFL Team" and your opponent in said argument then ignores the issue and points to a similar but not the same issue. I pointed to the fact that you've given us no reason as to why you would be as good as Phil Emery or could run an NFL team. I've also pointed to skills you lack that other GM's have gained through experience. I.e. skills that would make someone capable of being as good as Phil Emery. 100% of these topics are on point with whether you would make an "average" gm (your words). You have addressed none of them. Instead you point to the straw men in the room. I.e. the straw men you created.

And I'm sorry about the conflate issue, I didn't mean to include both the word combine and conflate.

You made your strawman by arguing against things I never argued in the first place.

I didn't generalize about politicians as a class or say that a GM only delegates. You attacked both of those arguments that I didn't make.