Cubs expected to be interested in Juan Soto if available

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
And because his salary is so prohibitive and a one year deal, his value is massively reduced.

Send them Morel and this gets done.

Then look to the Mets to get Alonzo

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
They’ve gotta do something, even if they are able to lock up Bellinger

Suzuki and Happ can’t be 3 or 4 hitters next year and expect any kind of leap forward.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
It’ll still take more than morel

The one trade sim site I can find says Morel for Soto is fair, but I agree. One I came up with that it said was fair was Soto for Wicks, Canario, Ferris, and Thompson. My personal idea is to swing a 3 team trade presuming Stroman opts in and trade Happ and Stro to MN for a CJ Culpepper to add in. If the Pads wanted a more MLB ready OF along with Canario, they could swap out Ferris for Tauchman. That would let SD get under the CBT and reload a lot of pitching depth. The Twin get a clear upgrade to LF and affordable SP. Cubs get a top 10 bat and about 11M in CBT room, 8M if my extension idea was used.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Not at all. Soto will come pretty cheap because of his salary and being a rental. Plus Morel is a really good trade piece of about equal value according to MLB trade analyzers
None of what you said in this post is accurate other than some jank website mightve created a shitty trade valuation tool

Castor76

Liked Posts:
None of what you said in this post is accurate other than some jank website mightve created a shitty trade valuation tool

I tend to agree. The sight I use seems to value team control, salary, and general production. So they have Morel and Soto at about the same value due mostly to the 4 years of control Morel has.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I tend to agree. The sight I use seems to value team control, salary, and general production. So they have Morel and Soto at about the same value due mostly to the 4 years of control Morel has.
So you agree with me, lol.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
So you agree with me, lol.

I do, but I disagree with the site evaluation some. I think it puts too much value on control. But it's just an opinion. For example. They would say Yandy Diaz from Tampa would cost the Cubs Morel, Mervis, Wicks, and Wesneski. I would guess that's due to Diaz's low contract over the next 3 seasons as well.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I do, but I disagree with the site evaluation some. I think it puts too much value on control. But it's just an opinion. For example. They would say Yandy Diaz from Tampa would cost the Cubs Morel, Mervis, Wicks, and Wesneski. I would guess that's due to Diaz's low contract over the next 3 seasons as well.
It isn't just the site it is beat guys as well.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I want you to understand Morel has nowhere near enough value to get Soto straight up. This shouldn't be something that needs said
If that’s all it took, this deal would be done yesterday. The padres would never accept such a deal

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Soto is going to test FA so wait a year and go after him then. No reason to give up any assets. The reality is that Counsell’s first year will be one of transition so there shouldn’t be a need to push in all the chips right away.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Soto is going to test FA so wait a year and go after him then. No reason to give up any assets. The reality is that Counsell’s first year will be one of transition so there shouldn’t be a need to push in all the chips right away.
I don’t think they gave counsell this massive contract just to have a “transition” year this coming season

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
If that’s all it took, this deal would be done yesterday. The padres would never accept such a deal
Why do you think the Padres have reportedly pulled him off the market and waiting for trade deadline? THey aren't getting what they think they should get. Rentals don't cost much, especially when you know the other team is desperate.