Cubs expected to be interested in Juan Soto if available

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
ESPN’s Buster Olney was a guest on The Michael Kay Show on Friday and spoke about the Padres and Soto. When asked directly if he believes Soto will not be in San Diego come March, Olney answered confidently, “100 percent he’s going to be traded before the season.”

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Lol that is the dispute of it won't just be one of them? Did you read what you just shared? Morel won't be the centerpiece, a pitcher will, possibly multiple of them.

The only thing that might make his value reasonable is Padres being desperate to shed payroll
I thikn you have some reading comprehension issues. It says it would take one pitcher, MAYBE more. Not definitely or close to for sure, but just a maybe....

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
I thikn you have some reading comprehension issues. It says it would take one pitcher, MAYBE more. Not definitely or close to for sure, but just a maybe....
As the center piece. Do you understand what you are reading? Just to reiterate. Morel isn't enough to get Soto alone. Neither is any pitcher in the cubs minors outside of maybe Horton (which won't be traded) but even then there is likely additional moving parts.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
As the center piece. Do you understand what you are reading? Just to reiterate. Morel isn't enough to get Soto alone. Neither is any pitcher in the cubs minors outside of maybe Horton (which won't be traded) but even then there is likely additional moving parts.
Sure there may be more pieces, but nothing else major beyond that. So a player like BEn Brown and some low level A players with high risk upside.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Sure there may be more pieces, but nothing else major beyond that. So a player like BEn Brown and some low level A players with high risk upside.
Good luck to you in continuing to think you are getting a top 5 player in baseball for next to nothing. Regardless of them having to trade him, there will be multiple suitors bidding against one another.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Good luck to you in continuing to think you are getting a top 5 player in baseball for next to nothing. Regardless of them having to trade him, there will be multiple suitors bidding against one another.

I truly think the Giants and Cubs will be going head to head on a lot of players. Their farm isn't quite as deep but their desperation is when it comes obtaining talented players.

For me, if it took Caissie, Wicks, Morel, and (If Happ agreed to a trade to MN) whatever could be gained from such a trade for Soto, I'd do it.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The same trade literally happened 3 years ago where Boston sent over Betts for Verdugo who was a much lesser player than what the Cubs will be offering.

This is a salary dump and every team knows it, so other teams won't be going crazy offering top prospects.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
The same trade literally happened 3 years ago where Boston sent over Betts for Verdugo who was a much lesser player than what the Cubs will be offering.

This is a salary dump and every team knows it, so other teams won't be going crazy offering top prospects.
Verdugo had been ranked the #35 prospect in baseball and was coming off a very good mlb stint. Jeter downs was the #44 prospect in baseball. David price contract was attached which brought his value down.

So for equivalent value you'd be looking at taking on another bad contract and still trading pca and Alcantara plus another low level prospect. Which I don't think they will give up that much, but it just highlights how unaware you are of what you are saying

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Verdugo had been ranked the #35 prospect in baseball and was coming off a very good mlb stint. Jeter downs was the #44 prospect in baseball. David price contract was attached which brought his value down.

So for equivalent value you'd be looking at taking on another bad contract and still trading pca and Alcantara plus another low level prospect. Which I don't think they will give up that much, but it just highlights how unaware you are of what you are saying
If you think someone is trading a prospect like PCA and adding an Alcantra equivalent for a possible one year rental of an expensive player that has to be dumped, you shouldn’t be calling others unaware.

Here’s an idea: Why not stop calling each other idiot over a hypothetical?

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
If you think someone is trading a prospect like PCA and adding an Alcantra equivalent for a possible one year rental of an expensive player that has to be dumped, you shouldn’t be calling others unaware.

Here’s an idea: Why not stop calling each other idiot over a hypothetical?
I said they wouldn't give up that much...I was pointing out what the equivalent was of the trade he mentioned. Also never said idiot, just continuing to point out how little value he thinks a top 5 player holds.

Thanks for your input though, greatly appreciated

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The hot stove league is entirely hypothetical and most of it ends up being wrong. I will say this with a high degree of confidence and I don't care who is managing....if the Cubs don't radically upgrade their bullpen, they won't be going anywhere. They could add Oh, Soto and Belli....still wouldn't get to where they want to be. The pen in today's game is that important.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:

At the time of the trade Verdugo was already in the majors and no longer ranked as a prospect, which is exactly what Morel is (except Morel is a lot better). Downs was blocked so it would be like us trading Morel and Triantos. So it makes sense that with Morel being a lot better than Verdugo the trades even out fro what Boston did.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
At the time of the trade Verdugo was already in the majors and no longer ranked as a prospect, which is exactly what Morel is (except Morel is a lot better). Downs was blocked so it would be like us trading Morel and Triantos. So it makes sense that with Morel being a lot better than Verdugo the trades even out fro what Boston did.
This is incredible. Your valuation of cubs players is something I can't take serious

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
This is incredible. Your valuation of cubs players is something I can't take serious
You don't think a 24 year old Morel who can hit 30 homers isn't a better prospect than the slight hitting Verdugo was in 2020?

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
You don't think a 24 year old Morel who can hit 30 homers isn't a better prospect than the slight hitting Verdugo was in 2020?
Absolutely not. Verdugos 2019 season extrapolated to a full season of ABs would've been over 20 HRs while also actually being a good hitter and good defensively. And that's in his first season after coming up as a top 40 prospect

To be fair, I'm sure Morel has more value than I think. I think he's mostly bad at baseball, but hits a lot of home runs. He doesn't do much else well at the plate and is awful defensively. I honestly just want both Morel and wisdom off the team.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ok, I usually avoid the HSL but since I'm bored....i'll take a shot at being wrong like everyone else is. First, I like Ohtani...I like him him a lot. BUT....IMOP, it would be a bad move to sign him for whatever the latest is...what, $500 million? Ricketts probably won't spend much more than that so you're getting a real sweet power hitter and a possible starting pitcher the year after. Problem is, the team still has a a bunch of holes to fill. They need at least one starter and nearly a complete rebuild of the bullpen plus there's still a hole at first, CF and possibly third. If it was me....I'd still spend the money but I'd break it up a bit. Maybe a 8 year deal for Belli for about $300 mill, try and get Hoskins for high price on a 1 year show me deal, see what Hader wants if it's in reach sign him or take a look a Hector Neris...getting both would be huge. They'll probably have to find another starter in their system...I mean it's about time one of them stepped up, isn't it? Same with the pen as even if they can bring in both Hader and Neris, Hoyer is still gonna have to deal for more help if no one is ready. Third? Madrigal will suffice....a .265 guy with very little power but played surprisingly well defensively. They should still hit about 200 HRs or so....middle of the pack.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I just don’t want Hoskins at first base. We don’t want an oft injured and washed up guy to play first IMO

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I just don’t want Hoskins at first base. We don’t want an oft injured and washed up guy to play first IMO
It would be a pillow deal.

Some would argue that Bellinger was in the same boat and he rebounded.

If he was trash Boras would have moved on. Little cash in a trainwreck

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It would be a pillow deal.

Some would argue that Bellinger was in the same boat and he rebounded.

If he was trash Boras would have moved on. Little cash in a trainwreck

Not to mention it is bad for business to push out trainwrecks fully knowing that you would screw over said club.

Tbh Bellinger was a solid gamble for Scott. Has before. Was injured and COVID prevented the physical therapy needed to fully recover.

He got healthy and rebounded because the talent is there. It just took finally getting back to 100%

Now Hoskins is in the same boat. Was good. Got injured and lost a year. Looking for a situation that the Cubs gave Bellinger. For Jed he could get a solid WAR year for under market value again.