CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It would be a pillow deal.

Some would argue that Bellinger was in the same boat and he rebounded.

If he was trash Boras would have moved on. Little cash in a trainwreck
What the fuck is a pillow deal? Are you saying he will come cheap? Because bellinger didn’t come cheap, he got 17.5 mil for 1 year after two horrendous years.

How much do you think Hoskins will cost for his 1 year rental?

It was fine to give out a contract like that to bellinger due to the team circumstances

Those circumstances have changed. The cubs won’t have 15-20 mil extra lying around to give out to a guy looking to reclamate his career

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Hoskins at his best was nowhere close to Bellinger.

IMO, Hoskins would be a guy if they miss out on signing or trading for everyone else (Ohtani, Belli, Soto, Alonso). Maybe he's only a 15M guy but you have to hope for Belli 2.0 there. Though looking at their stats, if Hoskins is passing the physical, I think I'd sign him before trading for Alonso has Hoskins is only 1 year deal. Alonso brings more pop but costs you prospects.

There's a less than 5% part of me that wants to see what Counsell could do with the nearly MLB ready guys in AAA, call it a soft spot for Mervis, but I still think some good splash signings are needed to truly make them contenders.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
When it’s all said and done, I truly believe 1 of Ohtani or Soto will be a Cub and filling in that DH spot in the middle of the lineup

TL1961

Liked Posts:
IMO, Hoskins would be a guy if they miss out on signing or trading for everyone else (Ohtani, Belli, Soto, Alonso). Maybe he's only a 15M guy but you have to hope for Belli 2.0 there. Though looking at their stats, if Hoskins is passing the physical, I think I'd sign him before trading for Alonso has Hoskins is only 1 year deal. Alonso brings more pop but costs you prospects.

There's a less than 5% part of me that wants to see what Counsell could do with the nearly MLB ready guys in AAA, call it a soft spot for Mervis, but I still think some good splash signings are needed to truly make them contenders.
Bellinger was terrific defensively at two positions.

Hoskins is mediocre at best at one and incapable of any others.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Bellinger was terrific defensively at two positions.

Hoskins is mediocre at best at one and incapable of any others.

And that's why I have him above even Ohtani on my personal list. I know there's an injury concern for Belli, but Ohtani has one as well.

My somewhat realistic wish list for this offseason is Bellinger at 24M AAV, Jordan Montgomery 25M AAV, Candelario at 10M AAV, and then trade for Soto 33M. Take about 5M to add a pen arm. That's 97M added to the payroll with possibly 5M coming off in the Soto trade. That would put them about 16M over the CBT for 24. Counting the Soto money, the Cubs would have 75M coming off the books, just under 60M clear before the CBT and arbitration increases. There are no sizable contracts set to come off after the 25 season except the 10M I'd give Candy for the 2 seasons, but after the 26 season they have 66M coming off but at least 3 big spots to fill from the 4 contracts.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What the fuck is a pillow deal? Are you saying he will come cheap? Because bellinger didn’t come cheap, he got 17.5 mil for 1 year after two horrendous years.

How much do you think Hoskins will cost for his 1 year rental?

It was fine to give out a contract like that to bellinger due to the team circumstances

Those circumstances have changed. The cubs won’t have 15-20 mil extra lying around to give out to a guy looking to reclamate his career
“A pillow contract is, basically, you lay down, it’s comfortable, it’s soft, it’s there. But the fact of the matter is it’s not with you all the time. That’s a one-year contract. Your pillow, you leave it, you come back, it’s there,” said Boras. “Short-term, you use it for a little bit, then you move on.”

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Boras does deals like that to rebuild value in his clients. 1 and done.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Boras does deals like that to rebuild value in his clients. 1 and done.
right, but it doesnt fit the cubs timeline and budget like it did last year to take that gamble on a player trying to regain his value

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
right, but it doesnt fit the cubs timeline and budget like it did last year to take that gamble on a player trying to regain his value
I'm confused why Hoskins would do this type of deal anyway? What value is he looking to rebuild? He didn't have a down year. He had a year in line with what he's always been which is a power hitter that doesn't provide much else. I would probably be fine with signing him instead of trading for Alonso if they miss out on all their bigger targets

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm confused why Hoskins would do this type of deal anyway? What value is he looking to rebuild? He didn't have a down year. He had a year in line with what he's always been which is a power hitter that doesn't provide much else. I would probably be fine with signing him instead of trading for Alonso if they miss out on all their bigger targets
i think its just the knee injury that has people thinking that is what he will want/do.

Id be okay with it if its truly a 1 year deal and the cubs have missed out on the big name guys like Ohtani, Soto, and the Japanese pitchers

TL1961

Liked Posts:
“A pillow contract is, basically, you lay down, it’s comfortable, it’s soft, it’s there. But the fact of the matter is it’s not with you all the time. That’s a one-year contract. Your pillow, you leave it, you come back, it’s there,” said Boras. “Short-term, you use it for a little bit, then you move on.”
Is it a travel pillow?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
i think its just the knee injury that has people thinking that is what he will want/do.

Id be okay with it if its truly a 1 year deal and the cubs have missed out on the big name guys like Ohtani, Soto, and the Japanese pitchers

I would want to hear what projected payroll will be. There are reports that Jed has 25M to work with due to last years payroll being around 203M.

But you don't hear much about Hayward off the books. So was Tom including that in projections or actual payroll for active players.

It would solve some glaring issues going forward.

But of course Jed never shows his hand until he has played it.

Last edited:

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

this should put an end to any thoughts that Morel and 1 low level prospect could be enough for Soto

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Soto for King and Thorpe from the Yankees. This seems like a smaller return than Morel and a top 10 for Soto.