Cubs expected to be interested in Juan Soto if available

CSF77

Liked Posts:
With that thought. Having the DH as Mervis and Wisdom. Move Morel to CF and keep Tauchman as the swing guy. Utilize Morel's big arm with late inning D relief. This will upgrade his trade value.

Then let PCA develop his hitting at Iowa. The high fastball was his curse. So he has a adjustment period and needs to plain take the job

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Wow. I'm shocked Soto cost quite a bit as one of the top players in baseball
All joking aside, the Padres really made out here. They got a lot more control and a pitcher who already has proved himself at the MLB level. They got more than double the value of what 1 year of Soto is at his salary.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
With that thought. Having the DH as Mervis and Wisdom. Move Morel to CF and keep Tauchman as the swing guy. Utilize Morel's big arm with late inning D relief. This will upgrade his trade value.

Then let PCA develop his hitting at Iowa. The high fastball was his curse. So he has a adjustment period and needs to plain take the job
Morel will NOT be playing CF, that would be a disaster

Castor76

Liked Posts:
As much as I would have loved to have gotten Soto, reality is the Cubs should never have paid the price the Yankees just did. What is does do for the Cubs is puts pressure to bring back Bellinger as now it should come down to the Cubs and the Giants. I know the years can get scary. Perhaps the best offer the Cubs can do that stays below the 200M overall is 7Y196M (28 AAV). Then just hope that pointing out that even if the Giants gave him 12y264M the after income tax difference is less than 19M and for 5 years more. Even if the Giants gave him the insane 12Y300M, it's only about 37M after taxes.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
belli has a lot of worrisome signs to be giving a long term deal to IMO

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I am not really that big on Belli. Still not sold that what he did last year is what we can expect every year.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
His hard hit rate was pretty bad (talking about belli). I like bellinger but if he took cubs out of Soto sweepstakes next year, I'm against it. But I also prefer someone that isn't hoyer trying to lure in Soto since hoyer doesn't have the ability to bring in the big fish

CSF77

Liked Posts:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
His hard hit rate was pretty bad (talking about belli). I like bellinger but if he took cubs out of Soto sweepstakes next year, I'm against it. But I also prefer someone that isn't hoyer trying to lure in Soto since hoyer doesn't have the ability to bring in the big fish
Not sure it's fair to judge him on hard hit rate if a lot of his hits were situationally blooping it into the gap. I think they are a much better team with Belli but the reported price of 250 mil is high.