Cubs expected to be interested in Juan Soto if available

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Why do you think the Padres have reportedly pulled him off the market and waiting for trade deadline? THey aren't getting what they think they should get. Rentals don't cost much, especially when you know the other team is desperate.
Juan Soto is probably a top 5 player in baseball. If/when traded he'll get a significant return. It won't be 4 or 5 top prospects like it was with 2.5 years of control but it will certainly be a lot more value than a scrub like Morel

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Why do you think the Padres have reportedly pulled him off the market and waiting for trade deadline? THey aren't getting what they think they should get. Rentals don't cost much, especially when you know the other team is desperate.
i cant speak to why the padres do anything. that said, its pretty clear that Morel alone will not acquire Soto...otherwise, i imagine the cubs would of pulled that trigger. the fact that Soto hasnt been traded already only speaks to the level of prospect(s) it will take to acquire Soto. keep in mind the cubs arent the only team interested in him

Bust

Liked Posts:
I can see the Padres doing a salary dump.

Ian Happ, Suzuki and Morel for Juan Soto

DO IT

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Obvious they'll have option to throw aging vets with bloated deals into the mix. Cubs can absorb it.

what the padres are gonna want is pitching tho

You'd have to get both Happ and Suzuki to agree to the trade. Better off trying to unload one to a contending team in a 3 team trade.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Now the rumors for Soto are shifting from Morel to a Cubs top 5 pitcher, outside of Horton.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Wow shocking. Hard to believe it would cost more than Morel.

Also it sounds like multiple top 5-10 pitching prospects plus Morel, at least
No, the rumors are now that it is NOT Morel but just a top 5 pitcher. I am just reporting what insiders are saying the price is.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
No, the rumors are now that it is NOT Morel but just a top 5 pitcher. I am just reporting what insiders are saying the price is.
Link? I read likely 2 of wesneski, Brown, wicks, Assad, and Horton. Killian was mentioned but the assumption is his value is nonexistent now

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
And throw in Morel too. Honestly I just want Morel and wisdom off the roster
im with ya. wisdom needs to just go. Morel id like to see go via trade where we get something of value back. theres gotta be at least 1 GM that would be interested in his power, youth, and team control.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Link? I read likely 2 of wesneski, Brown, wicks, Assad, and Horton. Killian was mentioned but the assumption is his value is nonexistent now
"The Padres won’t want to make Christopher Morel the center piece of a Juan Soto trade. They’ll want Jordan Wicks. Hayden Wesneski. Javier Assad. Ben Brown. Caleb Killian. Cade Horton (over my dead body). Basically, they’ll want any young starting pitcher that’s at the Triple-A level or higher. Someone that can help them compete next year, but won’t break the back. Maybe multiple someones."

Soto's value is going to be low, because his last arb year is very high and not many teams can compete trade wise for him.

And it brings in the prior trade of Mookie Betts which was similar value.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
"The Padres won’t want to make Christopher Morel the center piece of a Juan Soto trade. They’ll want Jordan Wicks. Hayden Wesneski. Javier Assad. Ben Brown. Caleb Killian. Cade Horton (over my dead body). Basically, they’ll want any young starting pitcher that’s at the Triple-A level or higher. Someone that can help them compete next year, but won’t break the back. Maybe multiple someones."

Soto's value is going to be low, because his last arb year is very high and not many teams can compete trade wise for him.

And it brings in the prior trade of Mookie Betts which was similar value.
Lol that is the dispute of it won't just be one of them? Did you read what you just shared? Morel won't be the centerpiece, a pitcher will, possibly multiple of them.

The only thing that might make his value reasonable is Padres being desperate to shed payroll

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Brown, Wicks, and Morel for Soto works for me, especially if they go hard and heavy to sign him to an extension. I know Boras clients almost never do it. But if the Cubs offered him a deal at 36M AAV, they'd need to lean on that an equivalent deal from SFG, LAA, or LAD would have to be 42.5M just to cover the state taxes and a deal from NYY or NYM would have to be 44M. Need to really play to the idea of it being about what goes into their bank accounts that matters.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Brown, Wicks, and Morel for Soto works for me, especially if they go hard and heavy to sign him to an extension. I know Boras clients almost never do it. But if the Cubs offered him a deal at 36M AAV, they'd need to lean on that an equivalent deal from SFG, LAA, or LAD would have to be 42.5M just to cover the state taxes and a deal from NYY or NYM would have to be 44M. Need to really play to the idea of it being about what goes into their bank accounts that matters.
That package with an extension I’d be fine with. He’s still very young, so happy to give him a 10 year+ contract

Only thing I would caution about mentioning the tax implications is then he ends up signing with a Texas or Florida team

Castor76

Liked Posts:
That package with an extension I’d be fine with. He’s still very young, so happy to give him a 10 year+ contract

Only thing I would caution about mentioning the tax implications is then he ends up signing with a Texas or Florida team

Neither Florida team is a threat to ever spend money like that. Houston and Texas would be, but everyone is already aware of that. Astros are set to have a lot of money possibly available. The also have Bregman and Altuve becoming FAs and both are Boras clients. They also already have Alvarez at LF under a pretty good contract. Still, they could be a problem. Rangers will also have a large sum of money open but will have 3 SP slots opening up. Of course neither of these can take into consideration what moves those teams make to free up or tie up money in the next year.

My approach would be to trade for him without getting the extension as it makes him much cheaper. On that plane ride from SD to CHI, lay out a contract that sets up him and his family financially for 2 generations on each side of him. "You'll have your parents and grandparents taken care of along with you children and grandchildren set." Show him how even after this trade for him the team still has a strong outlook for the future and how much he'd be the centerpiece to that success. Offer him the power to be able to get out of the deal at multiple areas either maximizing his earning potential or the flexibility to find a better fit if he isn't happy.

It's kind of like the Bellinger contract idea of him possibly wanting 12 years. Would I give him that if that's what it took and I could get him at 22M AAV? Yes, but under some conditions that protect the team as well. Let's start with pay out structure. I'd pay it out at 28/28/26/26/24/24/20/20/18/18/16/16. I'd offer him an opt out after year 4 and years 7-12 would be team options with vesting options for them. This gives him 108M in 4 years and then 156M in the first 6. The vesting option would be that any year in the first 6 years that he achieves 500 PA, every year that is a team option year at the beginning of the season has 500K added to it's payout and the earliest team option in converted into a player option. For example, let's say year 1 he gets to 500 PA. This increases the payouts for years 7-12 by 500K each and year 7 now becomes a player option. If he gets 500 PA in year 2, in would increase the payouts for years 8-12 by another 500K as year 7 would have been a player option already. Year 8 would then become a player option. This gives him the potential to increase the overall value of the deal by 10.5M and make the final years at his leisure but only if he can be available and productive early in the deal. It gives him everything he says he wants while providing protection for the team should he either not be healthy or not produce. If he sucks, he gets benched and the options don't vest and the Cubs can get out much earlier.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Neither Florida team is a threat to ever spend money like that. Houston and Texas would be, but everyone is already aware of that. Astros are set to have a lot of money possibly available. The also have Bregman and Altuve becoming FAs and both are Boras clients. They also already have Alvarez at LF under a pretty good contract. Still, they could be a problem. Rangers will also have a large sum of money open but will have 3 SP slots opening up. Of course neither of these can take into consideration what moves those teams make to free up or tie up money in the next year.

My approach would be to trade for him without getting the extension as it makes him much cheaper. On that plane ride from SD to CHI, lay out a contract that sets up him and his family financially for 2 generations on each side of him. "You'll have your parents and grandparents taken care of along with you children and grandchildren set." Show him how even after this trade for him the team still has a strong outlook for the future and how much he'd be the centerpiece to that success. Offer him the power to be able to get out of the deal at multiple areas either maximizing his earning potential or the flexibility to find a better fit if he isn't happy.

It's kind of like the Bellinger contract idea of him possibly wanting 12 years. Would I give him that if that's what it took and I could get him at 22M AAV? Yes, but under some conditions that protect the team as well. Let's start with pay out structure. I'd pay it out at 28/28/26/26/24/24/20/20/18/18/16/16. I'd offer him an opt out after year 4 and years 7-12 would be team options with vesting options for them. This gives him 108M in 4 years and then 156M in the first 6. The vesting option would be that any year in the first 6 years that he achieves 500 PA, every year that is a team option year at the beginning of the season has 500K added to it's payout and the earliest team option in converted into a player option. For example, let's say year 1 he gets to 500 PA. This increases the payouts for years 7-12 by 500K each and year 7 now becomes a player option. If he gets 500 PA in year 2, in would increase the payouts for years 8-12 by another 500K as year 7 would have been a player option already. Year 8 would then become a player option. This gives him the potential to increase the overall value of the deal by 10.5M and make the final years at his leisure but only if he can be available and productive early in the deal. It gives him everything he says he wants while providing protection for the team should he either not be healthy or not produce. If he sucks, he gets benched and the options don't vest and the Cubs can get out much earlier.
So, a TLDR of we should Montez Sweat him (Soto)? I agree!