Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
You might see both of them eventually this year, although I think Schwarber is probably unlikely unless his catching really improves (so far not so good). Vogelbach though might end in AAA by June or so to showcase him against some better pitching. He could be a very valuable trade chip this summer.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

TL1961

Liked Posts:
You might see both of them eventually this year, although I think Schwarber is probably unlikely unless his catching really improves (so far not so good). Vogelbach though might end in AAA by June or so to showcase him against some better pitching. He could be a very valuable trade chip this summer.

Schwarber would have to be the second coming of Johnny Bench to get called up onto a team with three veteran catchers on it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
He's talking about Iowa, not the Big Club.;)

LOL. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

But the way Joe uses three per game now, I may have been wrong anyway. He may want as many as he can get.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
LOL. I guess I wasn't paying attention.

But the way Joe uses three per game now, I may have been wrong anyway. He may want as many as he can get.
Yeah. He needs a few more pitchers he can use as pinch hitters and then I think he would really have a complete bench. :D

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez 1 for 4 at Iowa. 2 SO's. Feels like the same old stuff. I hope he can turn it around. Alcantara hitting .207....what is it about Hendry's picks?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
John over at Cubs Den reports this morning something I've read in several other places over the last week and that's that the cubs A and AA clubs have been heavily scouted lately. Likely information gathering as teams are expecting the Cubs to be buyers at the deadline. I've had this feeling for a while but I suspect Gleyber Torres could be a big piece of any trade for a pitcher, particularly a younger one. The kid is well ahead of schedule and is playing well. You'd hate to lose him at 18 but if he's that valuable he could be a great asset come July.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not concerned if they lose him. Castro is still young and on a team friendly deal. There is no need to worry about holding talent at lower levels unless the reg's are short term or plain old.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez at SS. Error missed catch. Leads to 2 unearned runs....and a strike out in his first AB...wow.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez at SS. Error missed catch. Leads to 2 unearned runs....and a strike out in his first AB...wow.

Riding those first two games back eh? Let him get back into the swing of things. He is on the minor league team not the major league team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Riding those first two games back eh? Let him get back into the swing of things. He is on the minor league team not the major league team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I'm putting out is his production at the major league level maybe his new reality. He really never did much past AA. We have to take the pitching into account here. AAA is a bunch of major league subs or ex-major league players. AA is a bunch of kids who have never sniffed the 3rd deck. So his struggles could be very legit player ineptness vs adapting.

Other thing I was noting:

AA: They did something interesting this year with their staff. Frank Batista was a closer for years in the system. This year he has been starting. Pretty much is the ace of that staff 2-0 1.48 ERA 0.82 WHIP. Edwards has been put into the pen: 0-2 4.66 ERA 10 BB 11 SO in 9.2 IP. Not really exciting.

But the starting pitching:
Felix Pena 2-0 1.46 ERA 24 IP 23 SO 7 BB
Frank Batista 2-0 1.48 ERA 24 IP 19 SO 6 BB
Corey Black 1-1 3.15 ERA 20 IP 18 SO 9 BB
Ivan Pineyro 1-0 4.35 ERA 20.2 IP 19 SO 8 BB
Rob Zastryzny 0-1 6.77 ERA 7.1 IP 8 SO 5 BB (don't think he will last long and questioned the pick)

This team is leading their div right now and is a good team to follow right now. Almora is on the 7 day but Jacob Hannermann was just promoted to CF and he has some wheels going on. Keep an eye on him as he could be the lead off of the future.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ben Badler @BenBadler
I couldn't believe the Cubs got Addison Russell for Samardzija. Somehow they got Billy McKinney in that deal too. Two home runs today.

Casually hitting .277/.368/.338 as a 20 year old in A+. Wouldn't be surprised to see him called up to AA soon.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Might be time to start talking about Jeremy Null. 30.2 IP, 22H, 2R/ER, 1BB, 26K 0.59 ERA. 21.2 consecutive scoreless IP. Not bad for a 15th round pick.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Might be time to start talking about Jeremy Null. 30.2 IP, 22H, 2R/ER, 1BB, 26K 0.59 ERA. 21.2 consecutive scoreless IP. Not bad for a 15th round pick.

Saw that. Still south bend is too far away to even start talking about prospects. His numbers are crazy but if we were talking about a AA pitcher that is looking to promote to Iowa and impact the team then I will get Jazzed up about it. Shoot Ryan Williams 2-0 .35 ERA 14 hits in 25.2 IP. This is not like a unique thing going on here.

Right now I like Corey Black due to him being able to hit 100 MPH. I believe he should be pushed into the pen though because his slider is by far his 2nd best offering. Control wise it is a work in progress but missing at 100 MPH is not a bad thing as most are swinging to defend themselves.

Felix Pena has also looked promising. At 25 YO this is the first year that he has put it together for the Cubs. 2-0 1.78 ERA. .87 WHIP I wouldn't mind seeing both in Iowa soon.

These are the guys to really look at right now. Some south bend guys are ok to see but they have too much of a time line to take serously

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Saw that. Still south bend is too far away to even start talking about prospects. His numbers are crazy but if we were talking about a AA pitcher that is looking to promote to Iowa and impact the team then I will get Jazzed up about it. Shoot Ryan Williams 2-0 .35 ERA 14 hits in 25.2 IP. This is not like a unique thing going on here.

Right now I like Corey Black due to him being able to hit 100 MPH. I believe he should be pushed into the pen though because his slider is by far his 2nd best offering. Control wise it is a work in progress but missing at 100 MPH is not a bad thing as most are swinging to defend themselves.

Felix Pena has also looked promising. At 25 YO this is the first year that he has put it together for the Cubs. 2-0 1.78 ERA. .87 WHIP I wouldn't mind seeing both in Iowa soon.

These are the guys to really look at right now. Some south bend guys are ok to see but they have too much of a time line to take serously

Null's best comp is Kyle Hendricks. He has a bit more velocity but I wouldn't count on him much going forward.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I've read he was thought of as a top 5 round pick but fell due to an injury I believe. Also the guy is massive. He's 6'7 IIRC and like 220+. I'm not saying you go nuts on him and say he's the next top 20 prospect. But, he's a name that is going to start moving up prospect lists.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I've read he was thought of as a top 5 round pick but fell due to an injury I believe. Also the guy is massive. He's 6'7 IIRC and like 220+. I'm not saying you go nuts on him and say he's the next top 20 prospect. But, he's a name that is going to start moving up prospect lists.

They also said with his size, that they would expect him to add 2-3 MPH at least on his fast ball, which when elevated, will be able to miss bats.