• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah just waste options for Coleman.... That's gona come back and bite them in the ass.

Options are option years. Once you send a guy that uses an option year. It doesn't matter if you send them down once or 150 times. It still only counts as one option. The Cubs have already sent Coleman down once, so the option has been burnt. The rest of the year that he gets sent up and down is covered with that option.

Rick

Liked Posts:
Coleman will get sent down and an arm will get brought up to replace him, and if you really needed to you could DL Dempster back to his last time starting which wouldn't be too much time off since the All-Star Break is coming up. Also given the usage Quade had Marshall should have no problem going an inning or longer tomorrow.
The real problem is tomorrow Ramon Ortiz is starting.

He shouldn't. He hasn't pitched more than one inning for the last couple weeks.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
DL Dempster retroactive to Wednesday. So they don't have to option Coleman.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mateo just left the game early. If he goes on the DL, then the Cubs could bring Carpenter right back up.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well that about sums up the Cubs season right there...

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Look at the Nationals celebrating, do they check the standings :rolleyes:

Cubs lose. Imagine that.

Last edited:

Rick

Liked Posts:
Yeah just waste options for Coleman.... That's gona come back and bite them in the ass.

I'm not entirely convinced that Coleman is gonna be a part of this team's future. Not saying that he won't be, he might end up in a bullpen role after this year and hopefully he can do a nice job.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not entirely convinced that Coleman is gonna be a part of this team's future. Not saying that he won't be, he might end up in a bullpen role after this year and hopefully he can do a nice job.

I'm hoping that the Cubs have a better fifth starter than Casey Coleman next year. I wouldn't be surprised though if eeked out five or more years in major league service time. His stuff isn't great (though he did hit 94 a few times today and has some deception in his delivery). He strikes me as a guy that he the light might click one of these days and he could put several really solid seasons together or more. I want Coleman to be a part of this rotation for the rest of the season because I would rather find out about a 23 year old kid than 35+ year old SP. That said I am hoping McNutt and Cashner get healthy and bump Coleman to Iowa for next year.

Rick

Liked Posts:

I'm hoping that the Cubs have a better fifth starter than Casey Coleman next year. I wouldn't be surprised though if eeked out five or more years in major league service time. His stuff isn't great (though he did hit 94 a few times today and has some deception in his delivery). He strikes me as a guy that he the light might click one of these days and he could put several really solid seasons together or more. I want Coleman to be a part of this rotation for the rest of the season because I would rather find out about a 23 year old kid than 35+ year old SP. That said I am hoping McNutt and Cashner get healthy and bump Coleman to Iowa for next year.

I don't think the Cubs had any real plans to put Coleman in the rotation, barring injury, this year after evaluating him in spring training. Unfortunately the injuries happened and haven't stopped. I'd like to see Coleman spend another full year in triple-A as well. The Cubs are going to have to get another starter or two via free agency next year or swing a trade. Not only because they need a deeper rotation but also because a guy like Randy Wells isn't proving to be a major league pitcher. There's flashes of potential with him but not enough consistency.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think the Cubs had any real plans to put Coleman in the rotation, barring injury, this year after evaluating him in spring training. Unfortunately the injuries happened and haven't stopped. I'd like to see Coleman spend another full year in triple-A as well. The Cubs are going to have to get another starter or two via free agency next year or swing a trade. Not only because they need a deeper rotation but also because a guy like Randy Wells isn't proving to be a major league pitcher. There's flashes of potential with him but not enough consistency.

No clearly the Cubs have thought of Coleman as nothing more than insurance. I think that he was part of the reason they felt okay dumping Silva (good move) and trading away Tom Gorzellany (not so good move). I don't know if they need 1 or 2 more pitchers, but they do need a deep rotation. I don't know what to think about Cashner since he hasn't thrown a pitch since early April and still hasn't been stretched out to a starter's workload. I agree though Rick that this team can't count on Wells, Cashner, McNutt and Coleman to cover 2 spots in the rotation plus the inevitable injury or two.

EnjoyYourTiger

That weird bear thing.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs lose in a walk off wild pitch!

I think I'm done with this team until after the All Star break. No man should throw empty beer cans because of a wild pitch.

Rick

Liked Posts:
No clearly the Cubs have thought of Coleman as nothing more than insurance. I think that he was part of the reason they felt okay dumping Silva (good move) and trading away Tom Gorzellany (not so good move). I don't know if they need 1 or 2 more pitchers, but they do need a deep rotation. I don't know what to think about Cashner since he hasn't thrown a pitch since early April and still hasn't been stretched out to a starter's workload. I agree though Rick that this team can't count on Wells, Cashner, McNutt and Coleman to cover 2 spots in the rotation plus the inevitable injury or two.

Also, I don't think they anticipated Dempster and Garza to get off to the kind of start that they did in April. It'll be hard to convince me that the Cubs don't need to get another starter or two for next year. I mean, unless Wells gets it together next season and Cashner proves to be a solid pitcher then I would be fine. But Wells hasn't done anything lately to convince anyone that he belongs at the major league level and Casher is still a question mark because we haven't seen enough of him.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
our pitching is improving and its definitely good to see that

our overall pitching statistics have been bad because of injuries and really rough starts by dempster and garza...

not to say our pitching doesnt need some work(like pretty much ever other aspect of baseball does for the cubs)...but our rotation is pretty solid if those guys can stay healthy..although it'd help if wells and cashner can round out the rotation and not have some gawdy 2 inning 6 ER kind of games...

and i guess im the only one that wants silva back on this team

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Silva should have been traded last season before the ASG. I doubt he can eat more innings than hamburgers anyway if he were still on the team.

X

When one letter is enough
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was watching this game w/ my bro in law...and he was trying so hard to be optimistic for me...but I told him in the 8th...we'll find a strange way to lose this, just watch...

ahh, being a cubs fan.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
no worries we will still :sweep:

Rick

Liked Posts:
Silva should have been traded last season before the ASG. I doubt he can eat more innings than hamburgers anyway if he were still on the team.

Didn't he go on the DL right before the All Star break last year? Or was it right after?

It was an irregular heartbeat or something...

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't he go on the DL right before the All Star break last year? Or was it right after?

It was an irregular heartbeat or something...

I think it was after. He pitched a couple shitty games after the ASG before he got the irregular heartbeat in Colorado and I think they basically shut him down for the season.

Rick

Liked Posts:
I think it was after. He pitched a couple shitty games after the ASG before he got the irregular heartbeat in Colorado and I think they basically shut him down for the season.

Thats right. I remember a real shitty game he pitched against Houston, gave up 5 or 6 runs in the 1st inning. Was pretty brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.