Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think the big question now is trade or pay Jake.

If they sign Jake to a deal like Lester got. 30 mil bonus 1/2 up front rest avg out. Then 15 mil year 1. Seeing how he is 32 opening day signing him to a 5 year deal puts him at 36. You pay out 30 mil year 1. Then 3 mil per on a bonus. 15 mil. Lester avg 22.5 per year after that. Jake had a great run but he is a 2 right now. I wouldn’t pay more than Jon is making right now. 20-22 mil plus 3 mil bonus per.

2018: 30 mil (15 bonus + 15 mil)
2019: 25 mil (22 mil + 3 bonus)
2020: 25 mil (22 mil + 3 bonus)
2021: 23 mil (20 mil + 3 bonus)
2022: 23 mil (20 mil + 3 bonus)

5 years 126 mil. I think it reflects his contemporaries

Iceman2385

Liked Posts:
Well we officially didn't get Otani...blows but as expected I suppose. I'm not super high on Chatwood, but I guess it's ok. Wouldn't shock me if he's a bust, also wouldn't surprise me if he turns into a Brandon Mcarthy.

Now to me the Cubs either need to trade for one of Snell and Colome, Manaea, Degrom, Fulmer, etc. or sign DArvish. Please don't sign Cobb. An offseason of Cobb/Chatwood would be very depressing.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well we officially didn't get Otani...blows but as expected I suppose. I'm not super high on Chatwood, but I guess it's ok. Wouldn't shock me if he's a bust, also wouldn't surprise me if he turns into a Brandon Mcarthy.

Now to me the Cubs either need to trade for one of Snell and Colome, Manaea, Degrom, Fulmer, etc. or sign DArvish. Please don't sign Cobb. An offseason of Cobb/Chatwood would be very depressing.

I doubt they sign Cobb. If I had to bet. They resign Jake and Wade. That was good enough last year and they lose no talent. Add to it they have a upg to Lackey and Maples in the mix.

Iceman2385

Liked Posts:
I doubt they sign Cobb. If I had to bet. They resign Jake and Wade. That was good enough last year and they lose no talent. Add to it they have a upg to Lackey and Maples in the mix.

I'm ok w signing Jake I'd prefer DArvish tho. Personally I don't want Davis, just seemed like he was in decline physically. I'd rather we trade for Colome and sign a morrow or Shaw, Reed, etc. But we could do worse then signing Jake and Wade.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

If they sign Jake to a deal like Lester got. 30 mil bonus 1/2 up front rest avg out. Then 15 mil year 1. Seeing how he is 32 opening day signing him to a 5 year deal puts him at 36. You pay out 30 mil year 1. Then 3 mil per on a bonus. 15 mil. Lester avg 22.5 per year after that. Jake had a great run but he is a 2 right now. I wouldn’t pay more than Jon is making right now. 20-22 mil plus 3 mil bonus per.

Their signing Cobb

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Considering what Dee Gordon went for it's upsetting the Cubs didn't try and get in there. Feel he fit perfectly.

I had zero interest in him, and felt he was the last thing we needed.....and as soon as I saw CF, that changed 180 degrees. Never considered it, to be honest.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Who is "they"?

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Their signing Cobb

God I hope not, but you're probably right. Cobb as a 5 made sense but as a 4? No thank you. Give me Darvish. Q, Hendricks, Lester, Cobb, Chatwood makes you finish second to the Brewers or Cardinals.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
God I hope not, but you're probably right. Cobb as a 5 made sense but as a 4? No thank you. Give me Darvish. Q, Hendricks, Lester, Cobb, Chatwood makes you finish second to the Brewers or Cardinals.

I don't understand the thought process as to why they'd sign Cobb. The thing is they went into last year at $172 mil opening day payroll. They are currently on pace for ~$139.2 mil. So, they have like $32.8 mil to play with. Even if you sign Davis for $15 mil/year you still have a large amount of money to play with. They could easily sign Darvish/Arrieta and Davis and still be under the luxury tax. They may not have a ton of money to add in season but presumably if you're adding those two do you have much in terms of needs?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I should probably clarify. I mean that I don't understand why they would buy on Cobb when they have the money to do more.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I should probably clarify. I mean that I don't understand why they would buy on Cobb when they have the money to do more.
Only thing im thinking that might make sense is...

Cobb was no.1 choice to replace Lackey but he was looking for more money and yrs then cubs were offering, probably between 16-18 per at 4 -6 yrs..
They then got Chatwood at their cost and yrs.. 3/38

Ohtani was no 1 choice to replace Arrieta..
No.2 and 3 choices are probably Darvish and trade

As far as the money goes, their probably gonna dump alot on the bullpen and may be looking to save a bunch for in season moves or next offseason big FAs

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Only thing im thinking that might make sense is...

Cobb was no.1 choice to replace Lackey but he was looking for more money and yrs then cubs were offering, probably between 16-18 per at 4 -6 yrs..
They then got Chatwood at their cost and yrs.. 3/38

Ohtani was no 1 choice to replace Arrieta..
No.2 and 3 choices are probably Darvish and trade

As far as the money goes, their probably gonna dump alot on the bullpen and may be looking to save a bunch for in season moves or next offseason big FAs

Payroll is est at 139,252,381

Say they drop 18 mil on Wade this year: 147,252,381

then 30 mil front load Jake: 177,252,381

Tax is 197
20 mil that they can add at the dead line still.....

Honestly that is where they are. They don't need to go cheap. I can say one thing though. Cobb and Chatwood are pretty much the same bug right now. One has more upside. Other is more accomplished but less tools.

Both are downgrades to Jake.

Now Boras never said Jake was a ace. That was never his selling point. His selling point was a play off ticket. And he is right. On the big stage Jake shines the brightest. VS Cle he won both of his games and there is no WS victory with out him. He got the only win vs LAD.

This is the thing. The Cubs "are a play off team" Thus you need a play off pitcher.

Now I get all of the dislike vibes. Trust me I do. But he is what he is. A pure bad ass.

Iceman2385

Liked Posts:

Tax is 197

Honestly that is where they are. They don't need to go cheap. I can say one thing though. Cobb and Chatwood are pretty much the same bug right now. One has more upside. Other is more accomplished but less tools.

Now Boras never said Jake was a ace. That was never his selling point. His selling point was a play off ticket. And he is right. On the big stage Jake shines the brightest. VS Cle he won both of his games and there is no WS victory with out him. He got the only win vs LAD.

This is the thing. The Cubs "are a play off team" Thus you need a play off pitcher.

Now I get all of the dislike vibes. Trust me I do. But he is what he is. A pure bad ass.

They could try n save some money so they can make a run at Harper next year. I do think they should try n win a World Series tho. My first option would be a trade, just bc it would save us money. I'd be willing to trade Baez or Happ, but I'd rather trade Baez. I'd be looking to get Manaea or Baez for Snell and Colome. I have interest in Degrom as well. I'm not sure how much money he is making for the next 2 yrs tho? I'd prefer to not go after Wade Davis, bc Im worried about regression/injuries and I'd rather save money for next years offseason. I think we should be able to get Colome if we want him and get one of shaw, Morrow, or Reed. To me that's enough for r pen.

If we can't make a trade for the right SP w just Baez plus prospects then I say we go after DArvish hard. I can't deny that ridiculous K%, he does have ace stuff and we have the money to sign him.

If we sign Cobb I will be disappointed :(

chibears55

Liked Posts:

Tax is 197

Arrieta gonna be 32 in March and is probably looking for at least 5 years close to 25 per..

I just dont think Theo wants to do that..

I still think their going to trade for that TOR type and it may be a multiple player trade that includes a bullpen guy

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I'm not so sure. They are going to have Strop(who apropos of nothing is really good), Wilson(at the very least is a decent LH option), Dario Alvarez(not sure he starts in the major but he might given he's a LHP), Monty, Edwards, Maples Grimm and I think you might also throw Zastryzny in there. That's 8 guys. Now i'm sure they likely make a run at a top end closer type either via FA or trade and I can see them adding one more guy. But, I don't think they are going to go nuts.

I'd mentioned before I'd be surprised if they didn't end up with Colome. He's expensive enough to warrant the Rays trading him but not so expensive that he kills any other move. And ideally he's probably a set up guy but can also close if you don't have anyone better. If you get him and say Davis you're likely only talking ~$20 mil. I think the luxury tax is like $197 mil so you'd still have around $37 mil under. If Arrieta/Darvish get roughly $25 mil you'd be close to the limit but you'd likely have enough wiggle room.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'm not so sure. They are going to have Strop(who apropos of nothing is really good), Wilson(at the very least is a decent LH option), Dario Alvarez(not sure he starts in the major but he might given he's a LHP), Monty, Edwards, Maples Grimm and I think you might also throw Zastryzny in there. That's 8 guys. Now i'm sure they likely make a run at a top end closer type either via FA or trade and I can see them adding one more guy. But, I don't think they are going to go nuts.

I'd mentioned before I'd be surprised if they didn't end up with Colome. He's expensive enough to warrant the Rays trading him but not so expensive that he kills any other move. And ideally he's probably a set up guy but can also close if you don't have anyone better. If you get him and say Davis you're likely only talking ~$20 mil. I think the luxury tax is like $197 mil so you'd still have around $37 mil under. If Arrieta/Darvish get roughly $25 mil you'd be close to the limit but you'd likely have enough wiggle room.

They need a closer and will probably add at least 2 other new guys..

Wilson Monty Edwards and Strop are probably the only definite ones

I just think that Theo and Jed have seen how important a pen is in the post season the last couple years and will do what it takes to make sure its that much improved

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
They need a closer and will probably add at least 2 other new guys..

Wilson Monty Edwards and Strop are probably the only definite ones

I just think that Theo and Jed have seen how important a pen is in the post season the last couple years and will do what it takes to make sure its that much improved

They didn't spend big money there last year. Like I could see them re-signing Davis just because it's tough to find someone as good as him any other way. But I'd be rather surprised if they spent more big money that direction. I'd imagine they will angle for a trade for someone to complement him(ie colome). Anyone else they sign is going to be bargain basement type.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
They didn't spend big money there last year. Like I could see them re-signing Davis just because it's tough to find someone as good as him any other way. But I'd be rather surprised if they spent more big money that direction. I'd imagine they will angle for a trade for someone to complement him(ie colome). Anyone else they sign is going to be bargain basement type.
No they didnt spend big money on the pen and look how that turned out, which was my point...

Im not saying their gonna go nuts , just think theyll add a couple solid relievers other then the closer