Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Sounding like Arrieta/Boras might be talking themselves out of most team's consideration. Supposedly he wants $200 mil. Even at 7 years which would be fairly absurd given his age that's almost $29 mil a year. I think he'll be lucky to get $25-26 but you never know

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs are linked to Anthony Swarzak (32 but cheaper). Bryan Shaw (30 and on the radar of others) Jake McGee (31 and LH not sure if they need another lefty honestly). They are going to talk to Wade’s Agent but 60 mil most likely will be too much.

Cobb is getting plenty of interest so they are keeping their options open.

They will also talk to Boras. Again the price tag will be the main issue here.

I wouldn’t be shocked if they come out of this with nothing and just wait on what happens. Some GM’s will push the panic button and over pay in either talent or payroll. I just don’t see Theo in that situation right now. The longer he waits and some of these over priced players will start to panic when they start to head into Feb with no deal

Twinndaddy

Liked Posts:
Heard Steve say this morning on XM radio that Schwarber to Rays for Archer and Colome could be something. I'm sure it wouldn't just be Schwarber.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Sounding like Arrieta/Boras might be talking themselves out of most team's consideration. Supposedly he wants $200 mil. Even at 7 years which would be fairly absurd given his age that's almost $29 mil a year. I think he'll be lucky to get $25-26 but you never know

All Boras has to do is hit the right notes with an owner impatient fro results. He bypasses the GM almost entirely for the big contracts. I thought Philadelphia might take a run but word is they like him but not at that price and they have oodles of money.

Hammer

Liked Posts:
I think people around here need to stop with the nonsense, and by that I mean:
A) proposing trades for over the hill leadoff types with high salaries
B) proposing trades for mediocre 30 year old SPs (non TOR types)

This team (build as it is) needs one high quality TOR SP to compete for title in 2018, nothing more, nothing less.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

This team (build as it is) needs one high quality TOR SP to compete for title in 2018, nothing more, nothing less.

It's a message board when nothing is happening yet this offseason. Lighten up.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

And the team doesn't really have anything to offer to acquire such a talent so that is why B is spoken of and most likely the answer for the Cubs at this time.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
He's a FA after this year, right? Just too much to trade for a possible rental

Machado is a FA but he's on the block as a rental. Makes no sense for the Cubs but the Yankees, who were probably the favorite to sign him anyway, could be in. Cardinals are also looking at Machado.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs supposedly have interest in Royals pitchers Duffy and Alexander..

Happs name was brought up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Cubs supposedly have interest in Royals pitchers Duffy and Alexander..

Happs name was brought up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I like Duffy for the rotation a hell of a lot better than I like Cobb and I'm not a huge Happ fan but Duffy's velo was down a couple of ticks and he had elbow surgery following the season. I trust the FO to find out if he's healthy though.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
It's a message board when nothing is happening yet this offseason. Lighten up.

Its actually kind of a relief that the cubs are not mentioned with every single trade or free agent happening out there.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Machado is a FA but he's on the block as a rental. Makes no sense for the Cubs but the Yankees, who were probably the favorite to sign him anyway, could be in. Cardinals are also looking at Machado.

As a FA, I think the dark horse are the White Sox. Fills a need and have a very young team ready to turn the corner after 2018.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
As a FA, I think the dark horse are the White Sox. Fills a need and have a very young team ready to turn the corner after 2018.

I can see that but there will be plenty of suitors. Philly is on a similar timeline to your boys, maybe a year ahead, and is going to start making some serious splashes. They literally have one contract on the books. I'd say the Yankees will be the favorite with the Phillies close behind. I'd say the White Sox could be third on that list. Doesn't mean they couldn't make him a compelling offer though.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I can see that but there will be plenty of suitors. Philly is on a similar timeline to your boys, maybe a year ahead, and is going to start making some serious splashes. They literally have one contract on the books. I'd say the Yankees will be the favorite with the Phillies close behind. I'd say the White Sox could be third on that list. Doesn't mean they couldn't make him a compelling offer though.

It's the one thing that the White Sox comparatively will have more of than many teams including the Yankees and that's cash.
For the Phillies, I think they are a year behind the White Sox right now if not two. I think they might also be comfortable with Franco at 3b given his cost and the time period when the Phillies will be genuinely competitive again. Like I said, we are a dark horse. I don't actually want to be anything but that for the foreseeable future.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

As good as the Sox propsects are, I highly doubt any mega FA like Macahdo would sign a 8 year deal at 25+ million on a team's prospects and Rick Hahn. When the Cubs got Lester, it was entirely based on the pitch made by Theo and company and Hahn, which isn't a fault, doesn't have that relationship with the player or the relationship with the agent.