Cubs offseason rumors/transactions

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
As good as the Sox propsects are, I highly doubt any mega FA like Macahdo would sign a 8 year deal at 25+ million on a team's prospects and Rick Hahn. When the Cubs got Lester, it was entirely based on the pitch made by Theo and company and Hahn, which isn't a fault, doesn't have that relationship with the player or the relationship with the agent.
I actually don't know what kind of relationship Hahn has, but that said, the White Sox have core pieces already up and developing and a team leader in Abreu who is a top five player at first. The pitching is what this season will say whether they turn the corner for 2019 or if it is another year. Machado as a FA now does not look at all at the White Sox. If the pitching does what it is capable of, we are an extremely attractive team to offensive players IMO.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I actually don't know what kind of relationship Hahn has, but that said, the White Sox have core pieces already up and developing and a team leader in Abreu who is a top five player at first. The pitching is what this season will say whether they turn the corner for 2019 or if it is another year. Machado as a FA now does not look at all at the White Sox. If the pitching does what it is capable of, we are an extremely attractive team to offensive players IMO.

Sure, but you're going to get in to a bidding war with one of the best players in baseball. Not only do you have to show a team that he wants to hitch his wagons to, you have to spend that money and hope he wants it. And while you can say "the Sox can afford it", I'm not so sure that the White Sox can afford Machado. This isn't signing some short term, high dollar deal; this is basically signing a guy to a 10 year deal. That's so far away from how JR and the organization runs that I'd be shocked if they did it.

Abreu is going to be a FA in 2020 so it's not as if he's some long term piece and if he is a longterm piece that's more money the Sox will have to pay to two guys. My assumption is the Sox are going to do some deal for a guy like Andrew McCutchen on a four/five year deal instead of going hard after Machado or a top tier FA.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

So you don't think Abreu will be traded this winter? I've been hearing he's a lock for the REd Sox the last couple of days.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I wouldn’t. Sox’s window opens in the next 12 months.

I think 2020-2021 is more like it. The Cubs had Eloy projected for 2020, the White Sox plan on giving him a look late in 2018. I think they're pushing him and maybe some of the others too. It's going to come down to the pitching though and I guess we'll all see. I see Philly as being ahead of them because, while the talent isn't quite as good, they have exactly one guy under contract. Their 2018 obligations are under $18 mil and as of right now their 2019 obligations are under $7 mil. I think the sign 4-6 big time FA between this offseason and next. Maybe make some trades from a deep system.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cubs and Padres now...

http://www.chicitysports.com/2017/1...res-chicago-cubs-are-perfect-fit-for-a-trade/

Cubs seem to be talking alot..

Either a big move is gonna happen or it all just testing the water and nothing of significant will happen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'd have to imagine that's a third team kinda deal. Baez is someone SD has always liked. Pretty sure he came up in talks on Ross in the past but a deal never came together. The Pads have a really great farm system but trading for farm hands with baez seems weird. MacKenzie Gore(#3 pick last year) hasn't pitched in A- yet. Cal Quantrill was in AA last year but had a 3.80 ERA. His tools are interesting enough but feels 2-3 years away. Adrian Morejon was in A last year. Anderson Espinoza was in A+ but didn't pitch last year. No one else really makes much sense. Hand on the MLB squad might make some sense for the cubs but I don't think you're doing a 1 for 1 deal on him.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I'd have to imagine that's a third team kinda deal. Baez is someone SD has always liked. Pretty sure he came up in talks on Ross in the past but a deal never came together. The Pads have a really great farm system but trading for farm hands with baez seems weird. MacKenzie Gore(#3 pick last year) hasn't pitched in A- yet. Cal Quantrill was in AA last year but had a 3.80 ERA. His tools are interesting enough but feels 2-3 years away. Adrian Morejon was in A last year. Anderson Espinoza was in A+ but didn't pitch last year. No one else really makes much sense. Hand on the MLB squad might make some sense for the cubs but I don't think you're doing a 1 for 1 deal on him.
I agree , if their trading Baez it definately going to be for someone who going to help them now..

Most of these rumors, i personally think are witers etc putting in their wish list.. so to speak..

I kinda have this feeling now that Theo and Jed are so in love with these kids that their afraid to pull the trigger and move any of them....

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It would be nuts to move Russell or Baez.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
But I do love the prediction that either something’s going to happen or nothing’s going to happen. ��

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Take Addison Reed out ...

Going to Phillies

Brian Shaw now has smoke with Cubs

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Take Addison Reed out ...

Going to Phillies

Brian Shaw now has smoke with Cubs

Buster Olney

@Buster_ESPN
Sources: Bryan Shaw's deal with the Rockies is for three years, for something in the range of $9 million annually.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Shaw getting 3 year with Rocks 9 mil per

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Buster Olney
[emoji818]
@Buster_ESPN
Sources: Bryan Shaw's deal with the Rockies is for three years, for something in the range of $9 million annually.
Just saw that...
I had just read 10 mins ago cubs were interested lol

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Pretty much the results I’m guessed.

They are better waiting now. See if Tampa will do a Archer/Colome swap

Or Davis/Jake’s price tag drops

Stayed by pat and letting Maples and Edwards take on some higher pressure situations would be good for their development also. They have Willson and Strop with Vet experience.

Honestly it is not like this is do or die right now.

The bigger need is a TOR.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It would be nuts to move Russell or Baez.

Not nuts. It would be nuts to trade them with no TOR involved with control. If you did a deal involving Hand and a UI for Baez it would be dumb. Sure Hand is awesome but he is a BP arm. That devalues him. Baez would be a starting SS/2B on most teams in baseball. For that matter a starting 3B also. But that just shows how deep this team is.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs GM Jed Hoyer thinks they'll add at least one more pitcher before the end of the winter meetings.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs GM Jed Hoyer thinks they'll add at least one more pitcher before the end of the winter meetings.

Add means add. Not subtract 1 to add 1. That is not adding.

So that means via F/A.

To Cobb or not to Cobb. That is the question

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Add means add. Not subtract 1 to add 1. That is not adding.

So that means via F/A.

To Cobb or not to Cobb. That is the question
Ok??