Cubs sign draft pick Kris Bryant (For slot according to Sullivan)

patg006

Liked Posts:
I understand why he is holding out to receive the maximum.

Does anybody know off the top of their heads the cubs have left to spend?

Would giving him his slot money get the penalty for next year?

We wouldn't want that I guess.....

But we do want to overslot a kid who put off baseball for 2 years to go on his Mormon mission project.

Get Bryant signed...

patg006

Liked Posts:
At the expense of adding another prospect or two. Is two weeks of development time worth that trade off?

In the grand scheme of things, probably not.

However watching other teams sign their guys with relative speed and ease, and zero sense of urgency to get this kid under contract have me frustrated. If this kid was selected to be part of the future, which we kept getting told is sooner, rather than later--why wait?

I want to see him knock 40+ home runs as potential indicates. I dont want to see him go back to San Deigo with those hideous sky blue camo uniforms with creme colored pants.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't know if his risk was greater or not than Appel or Gray this year. I think the issue is that more talent will be available in the 2014 draft than 2013 and he gambles on a very small increase compared to what Appel faced last year which was a 100%+ increase on his bonus. There isn't that huge increase in bonus waiting for Bryant even if he duplicates or even improves on his 2013 college campaign.

i agree with what your saying that theres a risk of having a few players step up and be drafted ahead of him which coincides with my point, which is that there is no guarantee he going to be able to repeat what he did this past year with the bat because he may not get pitched to as often to have a chance to hit 25+ HRs, because he doesnt control that part of the game.. where a pitcher has more control over what he does in a game because it starts with them.. ( if that makes sense )..

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does anybody know off the top of their heads the cubs have left to spend?

Would giving him his slot money get the penalty for next year?

We wouldn't want that I guess.....

But we do want to overslot a kid who put off baseball for 2 years to go on his Mormon mission project.

Get Bryant signed...

I just want to make sure I understand your position here. If Bryant is signed before July 13th you have no issues with what the Cubs have done?

To answer your question pat, the Cubs, according to official signings, have spent over 711K over slot on draft picks which isn't including Trevor Clifton who apparently signed for 3rd round money, which again would put the Cubs another 400-600k over. That is at least according to AZ Phil at TCR.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
At the expense of adding another prospect or two. Is two weeks of development time worth that trade off?

No chance that it would eliminate two prospects. I would be very surprised if ANY of the unsigned draft picks sign for over $100k which is the only way that counts towards the bonus cap if I understand the rules correctly.

The 14th round pick has already been reported that he is not interested in signing.

That leaves the 19th round pick as the highest unsigned draft pick left.

Is it worth dicking around the #2 overall pick to give a 19th round or worse draft pick a few extra dollars?

No fucking way.

And the blaming Boras agenda is dumb.

Mark Appel is also represented by Boras and is already signed and signed for under slot.*

* = 100% baseball related content

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
In the grand scheme of things, probably not.

However watching other teams sign their guys with relative speed and ease, and zero sense of urgency to get this kid under contract have me frustrated. If this kid was selected to be part of the future, which we kept getting told is sooner, rather than later--why wait?

I want to see him knock 40+ home runs as potential indicates. I dont want to see him go back to San Deigo with those hideous sky blue camo uniforms with creme colored pants.

I too am frustrated with the fact that Mark Appel and others have signed relatively easily, and I want him to start playing for Boise or Kane County as soon as possible. That said I just want the Cubs to maximize what they can get from this draft and if that means waiting a couple of weeks than I am fine with this. Again if the end result is a bunch of money in Ricketts pocket I will be upset. If this results in the Cubs spending up to the max like last year I will be fine with it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
No chance that it would eliminate two prospects. I would be very surprised if ANY of the unsigned draft picks sign for over $100k which is the only way that counts towards the bonus cap if I understand the rules correctly.

The 14th round pick has already been reported that he is not interested in signing.

That leaves the 19th round pick as the highest unsigned draft pick left.

Is it worth dicking around the #2 overall pick to give a 19th round pick or worse draft pick a few extra dollars?

No fucking way.

And the blaming Boras agenda is dumb.

Mark Appel is also represented by Boras and is already signed and signed for under slot.*

That is the important point here. The market should be set for Bryant, and yet he is holding out for well over what the top pick received. Again at the end of the day I expect Bryant to be signed, but the Cubs are playing hardball for a reason other than saving the owner money.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh and to the point. I dont think any body knows what is going on. People said when Bryant was drafted that the Cubs knew the ball park he would sign at. So, it comes down to two things. The Cubs decided to play hard ball and get him to take the lowest amount possible that they talked about. Or, Boras decided to up the price and play hard ball on his side. Im not really sure which way it happened, but I know Theo and Boras have done a lot business together. So, whatever is going on is not a animosity thing.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Funny thing is, were on here going back n forth as to why they havent signed bryant yet because of this report and this is the first report we have heard in regards to bryant and signing him.... I wouldnt be surprise if he was signed in the next couple of days now that words are out on negotiations via media

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Funny thing is, were on here going back n forth as to why they havent signed bryant yet because of this report and this is the first report we have heard in regards to bryant and signing him.... I wouldnt be surprise if he was signed in the next couple of days now that words are out on negotiations via media

Unfortunately I wouldn't be shocked if Bryant took until July 12th to get signed either. At the end of the day I think a deal takes place that takes the Cubs up to the max without surrender a pick. Until that point we are just arguing in circles without all the information.

patg006

Liked Posts:
That is the important point here. The market should be set for Bryant, and yet he is holding out for well over what the top pick received. Again at the end of the day I expect Bryant to be signed, but the Cubs are playing hardball for a reason other than saving the owner money.

Do we know how much Bryant is asking for directly kicking off negotiations? Though it's been pointed out as a bad idea/major risk--low reward: Bryant can opt to go back to SDU.

It's one thing if Bryant walked to the table with Boras and is demanding the sun, moon, and stars. I expect him to do that, most every contract talks with a big talent player start that way. But if as KB pointed out--the cubs are dicking around and low-balling him it's dumb.

I think its a major mistake is the cubs walked into negotiations with the mindset that "Well Appel signed for less than slot value, as did Gray, so Bryant should too!"--which wouldnt surprise me, actually irritate me more.

If the cubs have X amount to spend before they lose the pick next year, then beat it by a dollar. Now is not the time to be cheap.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do we know how much Bryant is asking for directly kicking off negotiations? Though it's been pointed out as a bad idea/major risk--low reward: Bryant can opt to go back to SDU.

It's one thing if Bryant walked to the table with Boras and is demanding the sun, moon, and stars. I expect him to do that, most every contract talks with a big talent player start that way. But if as KB pointed out--the cubs are dicking around and low-balling him it's dumb.

I think its a major mistake is the cubs walked into negotiations with the mindset that "Well Appel signed for less than slot value, as did Gray, so Bryant should too!"--which wouldnt surprise me, actually irritate me more.

If the cubs have X amount to spend before they lose the pick next year, then beat it by a dollar. Now is not the time to be cheap.

The report that was quoted at the start of this thread is that Bryant wants well above slot for his second round pick which is well above what any pick has received in this draft market.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The report that was quoted at the start of this thread is that Bryant wants well above slot for his second round pick which is well above what any pick has received in this draft market.

Law stated a couple of weeks ago that Bryant would get the biggest bonus and the Cubs had to know that when he was drafted. I fully believe the Cubs were aware of the asking price and they are doing everything possible not to give it.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Law stated a couple of weeks ago that Bryant would get the biggest bonus and the Cubs had to know that when he was drafted. I fully believe the Cubs were aware of the asking price and they are doing everything possible not to give it.

Lets assume you are correct, why are they doing this? Is it to save Ricketts money or to add the most talent possible? Last year they spent to the absolute max without costing a draft pick and they are well overslot so far this year. Is it more likely that the market has been positioned to favor teams to the point that Bryant would be stupid to go back to school given the relative value of the Cubs offer or are the Cubs being cheap to save their owner a few hundred thousand?

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:

Who gives a fuck if it is above slot for the second pick or well above what any pick has received in this draft market?

This obsession people have about not spending a dollar over a players perceived value is ridiculous. This is baseball, not the stock market, nor the NFL, NHL or NBA where they have actual salary caps.

If it is a number that does not put the Cubs over budget and cost them a draft pick then this should already be a done deal. End of story.*

* = 100% baseball related content.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who gives a fuck if it is above slot for the second pick or well above what any pick has received in this draft market?

This obsession people have about not spending a dollar over a players perceived value is ridiculous. This is baseball, not the stock market, nor the NFL, NHL or NBA where they have actual salary caps.

If it is a number that does not put the Cubs over budget and cost them a draft pick then this should already be a done deal. End of story.*

* = 100% baseball related content.

But that is the issue, if Bryant gets well above slot like he is apparently demanding right now it will put the Cubs to the point where they lose a pick given their other committments.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Lets assume you are correct, why are they doing this? Is it to save Ricketts money or to add the most talent possible?

Stop with the most talent possible apologies. It is a very weak excuse.

We are talking about the 19th round at best talent.

Likely someone that will never, ever make it past High A ball.

Let's stop pretending that the second or third round pick is at risk over these negotiations.*

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
But that is the issue, if Bryant gets well above slot like he is apparently demanding right now it will put the Cubs to the point where they lose a pick given their other committments.

If they over commited to other picks before signing their biggest pick then thats on the FO and horrible planning.