Cubs sign draft pick Kris Bryant (For slot according to Sullivan)

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I can only assume that Bryant is not too excited to wear a Cub's uniform.

This deal could and should have been done alot sooner.

Wouldn't surprise me if Command Central completely botches this one also.

Although I'm not overly excited at all with Bryant.

Just dislike the fact the season is tanked for these kind of "advantages."

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stop with the most talent possible apologies. It is a very weak excuse.

We are talking about the 19th round at best talent.

Likely someone that will never, ever make it past High A ball.

Let's stop pretending that the second or third round pick is at risk over these negotiations.*

* = 100% baseball related content
Okay, the point remains that the Cubs have officialy spent over 711K over slot so far on rounds 2-10 according to the reports from AZ Phil at TCR. And that doesn't include Trevor Clifton receiving a bonus which cost the Cubs somewhere in the 400k-600k range against their bonus.

Again if the result of these negotiations is a bunch of money in Ricketts pocket I will join you with the pitchforks, but all evidence I see points to the Cubs maximize the talent they can grab in this draft.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
But that is the issue, if Bryant gets well above slot like he is apparently demanding right now it will put the Cubs to the point where they lose a pick given their other committments.

I will again have to repeat my last sentence of the quoted post.....

If it is a number that does not put the Cubs over budget and cost them a draft pick then this should already be a done deal. End of story.

If what he truly is demanding puts the Cubs over the limit and would cost them a future draft pick, they were fucking stupid going over-slot on lesser draft picks before signing their 1st round pick leaving them in this situation.*

* = 100% baseball related content.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they over commited to other picks before signing their biggest pick then thats on the FO and horrible planning.
At the end of the day, we will wait and see what happens. I am confident that Bryant ends up signed and that the Cubs spend the maximum allowed. When that situation changes is when I will become upset at it.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
but all evidence I see points to the Cubs maximize the talent they can grab in this draft.

Exactly how is leaving yourself in a position to not be able to sign the #2 overall pick maximizing the talent they can grab in this draft???*

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I will again have to repeat my last sentence of the quoted post.....

If it is a number that does not put the Cubs over budget and cost them a draft pick then this should already be a done deal. End of story.

If what he truly is demanding puts the Cubs over the limit and would cost them a future draft pick, they were fucking stupid going over-slot on lesser draft picks before signing their 1st round pick leaving them in this situation.*

And I will repeat what I have said again, if the Cubs end up losing Bryant or not spending the maximum on draft picks I will be upset. Until that point I see the Cubs doing what they did last year which is trying to grab the most talent with the imposed limits of the CBA.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
If they over commited to other picks before signing their biggest pick then thats on the FO and horrible planning.

I agree Silence.

They have attempted to take the path less traveled by in a very consistant manner.

It's not making the difference. In fact, it's placing them further from their said goals.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly how is leaving yourself in a position to not be able to sign the #2 overall pick maximizing the talent they can grab in this draft???*

If that becomes the case you will have a point.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neufeldt (New Berlin, WI)
Is Kris Bryant looking for a deal that is disproportionate with the slot/other top picks that have already signed? Could he be playing in Chicago this year?

Klaw (1:08 PM)
I believe he'll end up with the highest bonus in the draft, that the Cubs knew going in roughly what it would cost, and that there is absolutely no chance he plays in Chicago this year.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
If that becomes the case you will have a point.

It apparently already is the case as he remains unsigned while the majority of the 1st round has already signed, including numerous other Boras clients before the Boras agenda starts back up.*

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draftdb/2013xteam.php?team=1004

Up to date on signees. I believe the Cubs sign Bryant, but I believe this to be more on the Cubs side on why he is not signed. I truly believe they knew around what he wanted. They are just trying to drop it lower. it happens. Its buisness, but if he doesnt sign then Theo will be shown the door by a lynch mob.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Heyman went into a little more detail than previous reports but this is not the first time it has been reported that Bryant might not sign until right before the deadline. Kris Bryant is a Scott Boras client (not officially, Boras is advising Bryant), so the delay is to be expected. Boras has a little leverage in these negotiations because Bryant has the option of returning to the University of San Diego for his senior season.
According to Jon Heyman’s report, the Cubs and Kris Bryant are “nowhere close to a deal according to people familiar with the talks.” Heyman pointed out that Bryant is looking for “something above the $6.7 million slot allotted for the No. 2 pick while it is believed the Cubs are thinking something close to the $6 million range.” The actual slot value for the Cubs’ first round pick is $6,708,400.

this is from heyman and only heyman is reporting such about negotiations, so who really knows where they stand as far as money and negotiations goes unless heyman is sitting in the room or someone that in the room is feeding him Info on negotiations..

I doubt that there a hang up for just 700,000, my guess is they probably are either closer to a deal then what is being written or boras is asking for more then what the cubs can give.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
After July 12th is when we will know the true outcome, at the end of the day I don't see how Bryant can expect to get more than slot if even that given what has played out in the market. It is pretty doubtful that he gets picked first overall and the increase in dollars is hardly high enough to justify the risk, unlike Appel last year.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
Well if the Cubs are really offering him $700k under slot, it is no wonder why he isn't close to signing.

Silence, is that link up to date?

It is still showing several players unsigned who I thought had already signed and one of them reported signed over slot.

If those numbers are accurate (not including the over slot signing not listed) the Cubs only have $6.5 million left to spend which isn't even the amount slotted for the #2 pick.*

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well if the Cubs are really offering him $700k under slot, it is no wonder why he isn't close to signing.

Silence, is that link up to date?

It is still showing several players unsigned who I thought had already signed and one of them reported signed over slot.

If those numbers are accurate (not including the over slot signing not listed) the Cubs only have $6.5 million left to spend which isn't even the amount slotted for the #2 pick.*

It was up to date. Im not sure what happened.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

i was thinking the same thing.. they show 12,13,14, 15 and 19 unsigned along with bryant and only 6.5 mil left in the bonus pool to spend, something dont seem right here.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
O I know what is wrong. Frazier, Garner, and Wilson arent bonuses. They signed there allotted slot value. The rest of the player Cubs signed have been signed for slot value. The rest of the bonuses are correct.