2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
As I said on another forum, this is possibly the biggest news of 2012 unless there is huge Garza trade. Soler is said to be a top 11-20 prospect according to BA, the second he signed. I'm now hoping Garza is dealt to the Tigers for Jacob Turner++ (which is reportedly the max the tigers go for and theo seemingly gets what he wants).

Then boom you have 1 of the better farm systems starting off just not depth wise.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
As I said on another forum, this is possibly the biggest news of 2012 unless there is huge Garza trade. Soler is said to be a top 11-20 prospect according to BA, the second he signed. I'm now hoping Garza is dealt to the Tigers for Jacob Turner++ (which is reportedly the max the tigers go for and theo seemingly gets what he wants).

Then boom you have 1 of the better farm systems starting off just not depth wise.

I still have Rizzo>Soler>Jackson>Baez>Vitters

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If your team is going to suck for a few, having a cheap power bat in LaHair isn't that big of a deal.

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:
I still have Rizzo>Soler>Jackson>Baez>Vitters

I'd have it similar, but I'd change up what you're actually trying to say

Rizzo>(very minorly)Soler>Baez>Jackson>Vitters

Basically just because Jackson will be a serviceable ballplayer, but there is minimal upside to be great. But he will be a major league player.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the minimum we expect from Brett Jackson is solid MLB guy, so I agree. He has the potential to be very good though, and may even be elite, but I'll settle for solid because every team needs solid.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I think the minimum we expect from Brett Jackson is solid MLB guy, so I agree. He has the potential to be very good though, and may even be elite, but I'll settle for solid because every team needs solid.

i definitely agree...he has alot of upside and is,basically, a top 30 prospect now

what did make me lol was when CO was trying to make an argument that Brett Jackson was already better than Soriano

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:

I disagree and he does nothing exceptionally, but he does many things well. My biggest gripe with him is 0, none, no sort of plate discipline. He could be a decent leadoff hitter if he could just control himself at the plate.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
i definitely agree...he has alot of upside and is,basically, a top 30 prospect now

what did make me lol was when CO was trying to make an argument that Brett Jackson was already better than Soriano

And he had a man crush on Soriano before that, then the next day Campana was better lulz

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I disagree and he does nothing exceptionally, but he does many things well. My biggest gripe with him is 0, none, no sort of plate discipline. He could be a decent leadoff hitter if he could just control himself at the plate.

He walks a lot though, and most of his K's seem to be looking

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

I missed that, but you can make a small argument that Brett Jackson is better in some aspects. He's a better baserunner, better defender, and probably gets on base better than Soriano could. That's all based on potential though, we don't know for sure until he hits MLB.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:

Brett Jackson gets into a lot of deep counts. You're more likely to strike out with a two-strike count than on the first pitch. It's just the way it is. Naturally you want him to make better contact with two strikes, but whatcha gonna do.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I think that is the first time I've ever heard that Brett Jackson has no plate discipline.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
And he had a man crush on Soriano before that, then the next day Campana was better lulz

soriano is a bit one dimensional but that dimension gave(gives) him more value than the rest of the OF not named dejesus(i'd say he's outplaying him at this point too, but i expect soriano to dip a little and dejesus to improve, out of what i can see)

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I missed that, but you can make a small argument that Brett Jackson is better in some aspects. He's a better baserunner, better defender, and probably gets on base better than Soriano could. That's all based on potential though, we don't know for sure until he hits MLB.

which was my big point in the argument

it's very difficult to compare two players who are in two completely different leagues and play against different competition...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The deal with Brett Jackson is that he has a limited ceiling but a pretty high floor. He is a very solid bet, imo, to be at least a useful major league player. That doesn't mean he will be a superstar or even a star level player. In fact the odds of him doing that are pretty low, but a guy that can play good defense in CF and get on base at .340+ clip is a useful big leaguer. I think the odds of him reaching that is pretty high. A lot higher than Almora or Soler making the big leagues.

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:

I'm sorry, though it maybe true that he works deep counts, but you don't strike out 30.6% rate w/o having little to no discipline. Now don't mistake this for not liking him, I'm thinking hes going to be a good major leaguer, with 1, maybe 2 ASG appearances in his career. Though I hope he's gonna be better, much better.

Brett Jackson gets into a lot of deep counts. You're more likely to strike out with a two-strike count than on the first pitch. It's just the way it is. Naturally you want him to make better contact with two strikes, but whatcha gonna do.

You're correct, but who's to say he's working these deep counts, but the reasoning for him getting into this for him wanting to hit the first pitch you see, as allegedly the first pitch you see is the best pitch to hit, as the pitcher is trying to "feel out" the hitter if you will.

He should be trying to take pitches, work the count and then get on base, if he's a leadoff hitter as the cubs expect him to be.

*just playing devils advocate here, don't ostracize me lol

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think if you check the gameday logs, he's striking out on pitch 4, 5, 6, or 7 of the AB instead of the third pitch. So it's not like he's just hacking away. He does have contact issues though and that strikeout rate is wack, but I don't think that means he has bad discipline, just bad contact rates.

CubbyBear2290

Liked Posts:
I think if you check the gameday logs, he's striking out on pitch 4, 5, 6, or 7 of the AB instead of the third pitch. So it's not like he's just hacking away. He does have contact issues though and that strikeout rate is wack, but I don't think that means he has bad discipline, just bad contact rates.

Couldn't the 2 in a way be 1 in the same to an extent?