Cubs Sign Jorge Soler!

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
It does, but here's the catch...

If he's good, he'll be worth whatever he can get in arbitration.

If he's bad, the Cubs pay the original amount because there's no way the other teams will pay more in free agency than what the Cubs were slated to pay him anyway.

You root for him to be good to force the Cubs to spend money. Because you're supposed to spend money on good players.

I covered this in my most recent post. I don't think it is a bad deal now because of that, but it certainly isn't as awesome as the flat 9 years for 30 million that we were told earlier.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
funny how i go to stream B&B to hopefully hear about he sox and humber possibly going to the pen, and soler signing since this is baseball season and both sides of town are making noise in their own way....and whatta know....lets talk about sandusky trial for another day.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Told you earlier that good baseball stuff will be on later tonight. Now listen and write it down so I don't have to mess with streaming!

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Soler can NOT leave #Cubs during 9-year deal. He can only opt out of financial terms during arb-eligible years. Story:

Rosenthal also says that Levine is wrong and that Soler can opt out to file for arbitration, not free agency.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
Soler can NOT leave #Cubs during 9-year deal. He can only opt out of financial terms during arb-eligible years. Story:

Rosenthal also says that Levine is wrong and that Soler can opt out to file for arbitration, not free agency.

That makes things a lot better, and more like what you were saying before Rice. Luster is starting to come back...

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one is reporting it yet, but I am wondering if he gets a 40 man roster spot or not. I don't know if they can pay him what they are without a major league contract (i.e. requires a 40 man roster spot) or not.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to be surprised if it's a signing bonus and not a MLB deal. I don't think they can structure it that way. I also don't think they'd do that and allow him to double dip (the prorated $30MM per season + whatever he gets paid at each level of MiLB plus each year of his MLB service) so he almost certainly got MLB deal and a 40-man spot. That means they'll probably drop one of the shitty relievers.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to be surprised if it's a signing bonus and not a MLB deal. I don't think they can structure it that way. I also don't think they'd do that and allow him to double dip (the prorated $30MM per season + whatever he gets paid at each level of MiLB plus each year of his MLB service) so he almost certainly got MLB deal and a 40-man spot. That means they'll probably drop one of the shitty relievers.

That means that he is going to have to stick on a major league roster by age 24 then. They won't have a ton of time to develop him slowly.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That means that he is going to have to stick on a major league roster by age 24 then. They won't have a ton of time to develop him slowly.

What is it, 4 options for a player over 19? Yeah, he'd need to do this quick or else he could be Rule 5'd.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
More from Goldstein:
Cubs system is getting better. Throw in potential returns for Dempster, Garza and a big pick in 2013 and it could be a HUGE step forward.
It's also a good year to be bad for the Cubs in a way. Fewer sellers w/ extra wild card could lead to inflated market.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is it, 4 options for a player over 19? Yeah, he'd need to do this quick or else he could be Rule 5'd.

Is it 4? I thought it was 3, but you could get 4 under certain circumstances (injuries I thought because I recall Angel Guzman getting 4 for some reason). This is part of the rules that i need to learn more about.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is it 4? I thought it was 3, but you could get 4 under certain circumstances (injuries I thought because I recall Angel Guzman getting 4 for some reason). This is part of the rules that i need to learn more about.

I think it's part of the Rule 5 section, but if Soler has a MLB deal then every year he's in the minors burns up an option.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Law said since no more draft pick comp for the likes of Dempster the return isn't gonna be as good as the last CBA.

Dempster will only get draft comp if the Cubs offer him a one year/$12.5MM contract and he refuses it and signs elsewhere. He can't be traded to another team and give that team draft comp. But he is still a good pitcher and should get something useful. Hopefully better than what Ted Lilly brought back.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Law said since no more draft pick comp for the likes of Dempster the return isn't gonna be as good as the last CBA.

To be honest it is all speculation from anyone what the return for players is going to be. The loss of draft pick compensation hurts the value of players, but the second wildcard decreasing the number of sellers increases their value. We will wait and see.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it's part of the Rule 5 section, but if Soler has a MLB deal then every year he's in the minors burns up an option.

Brett@BN seems to confirm the idea that this has to be a mlb deal. I assumed as much. I am well aware of the bolded fact. The question is does that mean he has to stick by 2015 or 2016.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Dempster will only get draft comp if the Cubs offer him a one year/$12.5MM contract and he refuses it and signs elsewhere. He can't be traded to another team and give that team draft comp. But he is still a good pitcher and should get something useful. Hopefully better than what Ted Lilly brought back.

That is why his value is poor under old CBA the team that traded for Dempster could get some of what they traded back via draft pick. Now that there is no pick teams aren't gonna give up top spects for a rental like they would in the past. I doubt we get much

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
It was confirmed to be Major League deal hours ago

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brett@BN seems to confirm the idea that this has to be a mlb deal. I assumed as much. I am well aware of the bolded fact. The question is does that mean he has to stick by 2015 or 2016.

He has to stick or else he's either exposed to waivers or Rule 5.