Cubs trade targets (The Athletic article)

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
So what is your arguement then?

I know this forum is 'maverick' when it comes to baseball logic, but is this honestly a question?

My "arguement" is that no MLB team will be trading for Tyler Chatwood. Lets make a forum ban bet...if Chatwood is traded by the deadline, I will never return to this forum ever again. If Chatwood remains a Cub, then this Cubs forum gets merged with the "Other Sports" subforum for the next 6 months. Deal?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
In no world is Wade Davis "ideal". This year
- Velocity on the FB is down (94.6 as a Cub to 93.8 to this year; down from peaks of 96.7)
- Ks are down (12.12/9 as a Cub, 10.74/9 last year 9.19 this year)
- BBs are way up (5.46/9 this year; 3.58 last year)
- FIP has gone up every year since 2014
2014 - 1.19
2015 - 2.29
2016 - 2.29
2017 - 3.38
2018 - 3.65
2019 - 4.35

Every single metric you want to judge a pitcher by says Wade Davis is in decline yet your idea is to go trade for him and give him the 8th inning.
And he is under contract for two more years at very high salary.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I know this forum is 'maverick' when it comes to baseball logic, but is this honestly a question?

My "arguement" is that no MLB team will be trading for Tyler Chatwood. Lets make a forum ban bet...if Chatwood is traded by the deadline, I will never return to this forum ever again. If Chatwood remains a Cub, then this Cubs forum gets merged with the "Other Sports" subforum for the next 6 months. Deal?
Are there people who actually expect Chatwood to be traded?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Road .68 ERA
Home 9.00 ERA

that is the main stat to look at.

But you are right on velocity. That happens with age.

Kimbrel used to throw 101. Now 97. Theo still paid for him. I wouldn't use that excuse. Pitchers also use location and movement and obviously looking at those splits coors's environment limits those factors.
Do you realize the Cubs -in dire need of a closer - only signed Kimbrel due to salary relief from Zobrist ? And they now are committed for two more seasons?
How would they be able to commit 50 million to Davis?
Why would they want to?

If the Cubs thought Davis beyond 2017 was a reliever worth having they would have tried to re-sign him. They made no attempt to do so.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

The dead line of what year? This year no way in hell.

I said next year as in 2020. When Cole leaves you reinsert Chatwood as the 5. Make Alozay be the 7th inning arm to give him MLB exposure and run Mills and Miller as 2 inning arms. That will reduce over head in middle relief and give talent in a vital role.

By the numbers Chatwood has gone back to what Theo paid for. 2018 was a outlier. 2019 his WHIP is at 1.37 and that is pretty common in baseball in pick up arms.

So if you thought that I was flashing trade now card then you have totally taken what I said out of context.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Do you realize the Cubs -in dire need of a closer - only signed Kimbrel due to salary relief from Zobrist ? And they now are committed for two more seasons?
How would they be able to commit 50 million to Davis?
Why would they want to?

If the Cubs thought Davis beyond 2017 was a reliever worth having they would have tried to re-sign him. They made no attempt to do so.

My opener was trade Davis for Morrow.

Morrow 9 mil that the Cubs are floating.
Davis 18 mil.

The cash difference is still 9 mil. The difference is it is spent on a pitching mound that matters.

Col would do it to get out of contract

2 years/$21M (2018-19), plus 2020 vesting option
  • signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent 12/11/17
  • 18:$9M, 19:$9M, 20:$12M vesting option ($3M buyout)
3 mil to get out of that deal.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Chatwood is my closer in MLB19. In that game he is a beast wish it translated to real world.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
How far back did you Necro that from?

HUH? It was from 2 weeks ago, and we've been discussing it ever since. LOL at "necro". At what point in Chatwood's Cubs tenure did he have ANY trade value?

This place should just shut down until the postseason.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
My opener was trade Davis for Morrow.

Morrow 9 mil that the Cubs are floating.
Davis 18 mil.

The cash difference is still 9 mil. The difference is it is spent on a pitching mound that matters.

Col would do it to get out of contract

2 years/$21M (2018-19), plus 2020 vesting option
  • signed by Chicago Cubs as a free agent 12/11/17
  • 18:$9M, 19:$9M, 20:$12M vesting option ($3M buyout)
3 mil to get out of that deal.
That’s even worse

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Theo put all his pennies in Kimbrel, he has very little room left, Zobrist returning is breaking the piggy bank when he starts to get paid again (if they actually stopped paying him). There is no room right now, cant pay someone to take Chatwood. Maldonado needs to catch Yu today or go. Not the money, cant keep going with a 24 man roster with Maddons maddening switches.

Right now we have a bunch of change of scenery might do some good, for both teams.

That includes Chatwood, Cisheck, Strop, Edwards and Russell off the top of my head. Should have just DFA's Monty and let him become a free agent if they wanted him to get a fresh start somewhere.

If Russell and Nico come up September 1, I expect Nico to win the job if there is a post season but Russell will get it. Best case to leave him go.

Apparently Russell was scratched game 1 in Iowa because he did not bring his bats, gloves or cup with him on the trip.

Theo. make this go away.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Road .68 ERA
Home 9.00 ERA

that is the main stat to look at.

But you are right on velocity. That happens with age.

Kimbrel used to throw 101. Now 97. Theo still paid for him. I wouldn't use that excuse. Pitchers also use location and movement and obviously looking at those splits coors's environment limits those factors.

Lol, you never use ERA as the main stat in evaluating a pitcher. On the road, he still has a 1.28 WHIP so that ERA is bound to regress. In addition, we’re talking a 13 inning sample and this is after last year when the ERA split wasn’t as drastic (4.68 @ Coors; 3.65 @ road).

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That’s even worse

How so? So the Cubs can get out of Morrow's deal and do what then? They are losing Kintzler (5M), Strop(6.5) Cishek(6.5M)

You know that is 18 mil right? That balances what it would cost to have Mills, Alzolay and Davis.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lol, you never use ERA as the main stat in evaluating a pitcher. On the road, he still has a 1.28 WHIP so that ERA is bound to regress. In addition, we’re talking a 13 inning sample and this is after last year when the ERA split wasn’t as drastic (4.68 @ Coors; 3.65 @ road).

Stats are a funny thing you know.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Theo put all his pennies in Kimbrel, he has very little room left, Zobrist returning is breaking the piggy bank when he starts to get paid again (if they actually stopped paying him). There is no room right now, cant pay someone to take Chatwood. Maldonado needs to catch Yu today or go. Not the money, cant keep going with a 24 man roster with Maddons maddening switches.

Right now we have a bunch of change of scenery might do some good, for both teams.

That includes Chatwood, Cisheck, Strop, Edwards and Russell off the top of my head. Should have just DFA's Monty and let him become a free agent if they wanted him to get a fresh start somewhere.

If Russell and Nico come up September 1, I expect Nico to win the job if there is a post season but Russell will get it. Best case to leave him go.

Apparently Russell was scratched game 1 in Iowa because he did not bring his bats, gloves or cup with him on the trip.

Theo. make this go away.

I really think that he will wait til the 11th hour. This deadline will be a game of chess between Mil/STL/CHC. So moving a piece will be countered by a move by another. By waiting to the last minute he can make a move with out a counterattack.

If he had resouses this would not be happening or if there were wavers. This is a unique game.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Derek Lane Holland is our LOOGY.

Gregory Scott Holland is a RH closer from AZL. Was the closer on KC before Wade was. Got injured then Wade took off.

It is fine. I get how you just are looking for anything to pick at and found a scud this time.

Greg Holland has unbelievably been DFA'd! What a stroke of good fortune for the Cubs just when they need him the most. Holland is definitely rounding into form, too. In his 10 July appearances, he posted an ERA of 13.50!

This could be yet another case of the CCS Cubs forum Intelligentsia being prescient. Theo, make it happen!