I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Because he's actually pretty bad at managing a lineup and a bullpen.

Hitting Morel 3rd cost us a few games the last week or so.

Why would you hit your least disciplined hitter in the 3 spot? One of those Arizona games at minimum is a win if almost anyone else is in that spot.

I like Ross as a guy, but it's pretty obvious he doesn't understand lineup formation or bullpen management.
So you have 1 singular complaint? Morel hitting 3rd? Most complain about him hitting lead off when he does

Bullpen wise, how has Ross been poor? He was handed what appeared to be a glaring weakness of a bullpen to start the season, and he has managed it to be not a liability out there

He has managed to turn chicken shit into chicken salad and has the cubs on the brink of the playoffs in a season when NOBODY gave them a chance to make the playoffs. And yet, here you are complaining and nitpicking

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
So you have 1 singular complaint? Morel hitting 3rd? Most complain about him hitting lead off when he does

Bullpen wise, how has Ross been poor? He was handed what appeared to be a glaring weakness of a bullpen to start the season, and he has managed it to be not a liability out there

He has managed to turn chicken shit into chicken salad and has the cubs on the brink of the playoffs in a season when NOBODY gave them a chance to make the playoffs. And yet, here you are complaining and nitpicking

Suzuki hit 3rd or 4th for 2 and a half months in a stretch where he had an OPS below .600 and 1 HR in 60 games or so.

We lost an insane amount of 1 run games in that stretch.

It’s very likely with better lineups, we wouldn’t even be worrying right now about the playoffs.

Can you really defend Ross hitting his worst hitter 3rd for 2 and a half months praying he would get out of a half a year long slump any day now?

For the record, it’s insane Bellinger hasn’t been moved up to 2 or 3. It’s been settled data for a while now your best hitter should hit second or third (at worst) to maximize his plate appearances.

Over the course of a season, these mistakes cost you games consistently

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
I guess I’m less impressed with this season than you are.

If you told me Steele would have a cy young caliber season, Stroman would have a cy young caliber first half, and that Bellinger would be back to his MVP self, I’d have said 100% guaranteed to make the playoffs. Instead, we are battling for the last spot with the terrible Reds and Marlins.

Whoopdedoo

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

The handling of the pitching staff is where managers earn their keep and considering he was handed a combination of unproven kids, guys coming off injury and other team's castoffs by management....Ross done a nice job of holding things together. Lineups are usually dictated by injury and the novel like book of statistics they get before everygame. Everybody loves Counsell....he'll probably be in NY next year. Let's see how good he is when he doesn't have the Brewer pitching staff at his fingertips.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
The handling of the pitching staff is where managers earn their keep and considering he was handed a combination of unproven kids, guys coming off injury and other team's castoffs by management....Ross done a nice job of holding things together. Lineups are usually dictated by injury and the novel like book of statistics they get before everygame. Everybody loves Counsell....he'll probly be in NY next year. Let's see how good he is when he doesn't have the Brewer pitching staff at his fingertips.

I’m not sure I’d credit Ross with Alzolay and Merriweather pitching well and with Leiter Jr pitching well for most of the year.

Even now he’s misusing the bullpen a bit. Boxberger hasn’t allowed a run since he came back. Instead in a crucial spot he went to Cuas.

Also, last night, if your choice is Cuas, who has allowed 5 ER runs in 3.2 innings over his last 5 outings, or stick with Justin Steele, who hadn’t allowed an exit velocity over 93 mph and was getting babip’d to death, you stick with Steele.

Also, after the 5 run inning and it was 8-6, he went to Leiter, who had allowed 5 runs in his last 7 outings I believe. He promptly gave up 3.

These are not good decisions. They are bad statistical decisions, regardless of hindsight.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
The cubs had all the momentum in the world last night and you go with Leiter who has been our worst reliever over the last 3 weeks.

It doesn’t make sense. That game was winnable. Going to Merriweather for a few innings was even a good decision considering the flow of the game. No telling how that game goes if you shut the pirates down after that 5 run outburst.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The cubs had all the momentum in the world last night and you go with Leiter who has been our worst reliever over the last 3 weeks.

It doesn’t make sense. That game was winnable. Going to Merriweather for a few innings was even a good decision considering the flow of the game. No telling how that game goes if you shut the pirates down after that 5 run outburst.

Steele has hit a wall over the last 2 games. The game was lost in the early innings.

From what was said his slider flattened out and they started to tee off.

I see it as he is at his limit for the year. I believe that his previous innings high was 110 so he has gone well past his normal work load.

So this is going to be a process. We saw this with Hendricks. He gassed early in his career then he worked up his innings. Same thing.

This is a big reason to tank it. Steele gassed and Stroman not ready for the work load needed to replace Steele they are not getting out of the first round.

So David should just play the kids and put it into Cruze control. They will win about the same amount of games as they are rolling out journey men.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Steele has hit a wall over the last 2 games. The game was lost in the early innings.

I see it as he is at his limit for the year. I believe that his previous innings high was 110 so he has gone well past his normal work load.

So this is going to be a process. We saw this with Hendricks. He gassed early in his career then he worked up his innings. Same thing.

This is a big reason to tank it. Steele gassed and Stroman not ready for the work load needed to replace Steele they are not getting out of the first round.

So David should just play the kids and put it into Cruze control. They will win about the same amount of games as they are rolling out journey men.
Lol yes, they should tank with a week left when they are in a playoff spot. Jesus dude, get a grip

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Last post you were talking about how great leiter has been this season for the cubs and how we couldn’t give Ross credit for that

Yet, somehow we can give Ross all the blame when leiter has a bad stretch of 2 weeks? Jesus fucking Christ, dude…get a grip. You’re having your cake and eating it too.

Last comment that I’m giving to you, Mr captain hindsight is that you make @CSF77 seem rational

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lol yes, they should tank with a week left when they are in a playoff spot. Jesus dude, get a grip
Lol. No I said play the kids. Which can be taken as tanking.

Shit they are tanking with David benching them.

The game they won was with Canario at DH and Morel at 3B. Then he tightened up the D late innings.

Sooo I don't see a problem with that. It made sense. But he went back to his old method and watched the melt down

But ya keep benching players that can help you win. Sounds great. Cubs have gone south with that method

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If it is not broke don't fix it. Well David fixed it yesterday.

Shit was broke before. He tried something new and it exploded. Then went back to the broken record.

So ya I'm on the boot Rossy team

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If it is not broke don't fix it. Well David fixed it yesterday.

Shit was broke before. He tried something new and it exploded. Then went back to the broken record.

So ya I'm on the boot Rossy team

Well, that's great to hear. Means the Cubs have probably got the right manager in place.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If you want to win games a few things need to be done.

1. Trash the L/R/L crap. You have to play the hitters that are hitting.

2. You know that Steele is unstable now. You have Stroman on hand. Running both with a 50 ish pitch counts makes sense at this juncture.

It is about winning. Not making people happy.

3. The pen is crap with out Alzolay in it. So you have to stack the O early game so the starter can settle in and lessen the pen demands.

The issue is close games. The O stalls the pitching is not good enough to hold them off. Vs grabbing the lead early and piling on. Hides a ugly staff

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well, that's great to hear. Means the Cubs have probably got the right manager in place.

He is all right. I think that he would be great with a big payroll team. The Cubs have youth filtration and Rossy works against development

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Last post you were talking about how great leiter has been this season for the cubs and how we couldn’t give Ross credit for that

Yet, somehow we can give Ross all the blame when leiter has a bad stretch of 2 weeks? Jesus fucking Christ, dude…get a grip. You’re having your cake and eating it too.

Last comment that I’m giving to you, Mr captain hindsight is that you make @CSF77 seem rational

Lol. Do you know what a high leverage inning is?

After scoring 5 runs in an 8-6 game at home, that’s a high leverage inning.

You don’t give it to your worst reliever at the moment.

Then again, we are talking about someone who hits someone with the plate discipline of Javy Baez third in a lineup with 6 or 7 obviously better options.

Ross isn’t a good manager. I’m sorry you aren’t intelligent enough to see that.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats

As I said before, Steele allowed 6 straight hits. None of them were hit with an exit velocity above 93. 3 of them were absolute duck snort bloops.

The only hard hit ball of the inning was the absolute meatball cock shot useless Cuas gave up to give up the 3 run home run.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Lol this guy complaining about the cubs lineups when only the dodgers and Braves have scored more runs than the cubs in the NL

The guy is clearly just a troll

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Lol this guy complaining about the cubs lineups when only the dodgers and Braves have scored more runs than the cubs in the NL

Yeah. Losing 1 run games and then winning those 14-1 games is really going to propel us above the Marlins.

You’re flat out brain dead if you think Ross is running out good lineups. Which it seems pretty obvious you are at this point.

Can’t blame you for your genetics though.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

He made the "ignore" list yesterday......he's got nothing I'm interested in. Another new guy posted and pegged him as a 12 year old.
Not a bad guess.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As I said before, Steele allowed 6 straight hits. None of them were hit with an exit velocity above 93. 3 of them were absolute duck snort bloops.

The only hard hit ball of the inning was the absolute meatball cock shot useless Cuas gave up to give up the 3 run home run.

Justin is a 2 pitch guy. His 4 has a natural cut to it. His slider plays off it. His slider flattened and they were on him. Prior he was dominant.

2 games in a row now. Red flags are waving