Day 3 Training Camp Tweets, Twats, and arguments...

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
Not a J Webb fan really, but I do not hate him like many others on this board.

I realize that there is no better option right now to play RT so to sit here and be upset about a bad day of camp for our only real option at a position is not something I am going to do.

I would love for Jordan Mills to beat Webb out and solidify the position, but I do not think it is going to happen.

I will ask the same question to the Webb haters that I ask to the anti-Jay committee who do you want playing RT?

I'd give Long a chance, honestly.

But on a serious note, I think what disturbs me from today's performance is not specifically how bad it was, but that it sounds like Webb hasn't really improved over the off-season and that the same things troubling him last year are continuing to trouble him today into the new year. I mean has Webb hit his ceiling or was it just one of those days where any number of factors failed him in playing adequately? Adam Oestmann described his footwork as absolutely atrocious, which is a bad sign for someone coming into 4th season where he should be playing at least averagely.

And don't get me wrong, I do expect him to bounce back some and play even okay during the season, but I don't trust him against smarter (or faster) opponents; and that's what's going to matter the most in big games, where that barrier of skill he hasn't broken stops him from doing his job.

With all that said, you're right. We don't have anyone to safely replace him and that's actually kind of scary.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now this is interesting, imo. With Brown and Long looking good, I started wondering if Slausen could be the odd man out. Now, I'm wondering if Garza might be. Could we see a OL of Bushrod-Brown-Slausen-Long-Webb?

jb,long,slauson,brown,britton? that is my week four guess

Gravis

Bears/Bulls/Hawks by 400
Liked Posts:
I believe they offer a 7 day free trial. Its been a while since they got bought out by MSN so I don't know if they changed their policy but it is a paid subscription service for sure.

Eh, I'm not sure it's worth it, especially since you have to give them your debit card information to subscribe on that free trial. Would they then charge me after 7 days without my consent?

chitownbears88

CSS Resident Curtis Enis
Liked Posts:
Eh, I'm not sure it's worth it, especially since you have to give them your debit card information to subscribe on that free trial. Would they then charge me after 7 days without my consent?

I did research on this exact thought for a business class. In my sample size of 100 people they would sign up and not cancel at a rate of 24/100. Free money!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
jb,slaus,garza,brown,long or long britton also possible

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You gotta play to be effective. LL missed a lot of reps. I actually agree with the other big fish in a little pond part but that wasn't Webb's fault and he's always gotten more grief than those other awful, injured or old fishies. I hope somebody outplays him for a spot because I want to get better at every position but until that actually happens..... It's possible Webb is not a suited to RT as LT and needs to sit but there's no way to judge that yet.
I agree he gets more grief, but it is self inflicted. You can't suck and keep prophesying ( tweet, text, interview, the method doesn't matter)about how you are going to "Bear Down" or how you are going to play well today and then suck some more. And you can't tweet about the women you are staring at at practice and then get beat like a stepchild all day long at practice. If he is the best RT the Bears have there is no choice but to go with him. My hope is that someone plays at least to his level and gives hope for improvement.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know its pretty much a dick move but if anyone is even remotely interested in signing up for Bear Report, today's write up was fantastic. The reason I signed up before was due to their draft and training camp coverage. It makes the other beat writers look like they aren't even trying.

I think ima sign up and give my login out to everyone :)

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ah. I am all for reading beat reporters work, but I have never understood the paid subscription concept. If you are a great writer then you can make just as much money via a blog with adwords and paid ads.

I just checked, and it is $109.95 per year which seem kinda steep. It does include a Bears' Report magazine (10 issues/year) and Premium board access ( which i am assuming is their forums) Which makes me wounder is it worth $100 just to get rid of the usual Packers trolls.

chitownbears88

CSS Resident Curtis Enis
Liked Posts:
I just checked, and it is $109.95 per year which seem kinda steep. It does include a Bears' Report magazine (10 issues/year) and Premium board access ( which i am assuming is their forums) Which makes me wounder is it worth $100 just to get rid of the usual Packers trolls.

I am sure it is the same demographic on every site. The best group of bears fans I have dealt with are on reddit (/r/chibears) though it isn't very active.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Details please?

Me and Fisch were right up against the ropes and we called him over and asked for autographs. He shook our hands, asked us our names and thanked us for coming to camp. Someone asked him about Martellus Bennett, and he laughed and told us how goofy he is. He signed my hat.

Just a really nice guy. Friendly, Genuine, and down to Earth. I was freaking out when he came over.

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Also, here are my own notes from today: http://bearsfam.com/archives/836

-During positional drills, Martellus Bennett went up against the sled, raised it up with great form, and when he was done he slammed it to the ground and stood over it and stared down at it. It was a sight to see.

-James Brown received the majority of the 1st team snaps at RG, and he also played some LG with the second team. He looked like the best of the three guards today.

-When doing QB positional drills, Cutler threw a high pass towards Josh McCown and he made an excellent leaping, one-handed catch. Looked like Brandon Marshall out there.

-Fendi Onobun looked quick and strong, and I didn’t see him drop a ball all day. Still working mostly with the second team.

-Steve Maneri got a lot of work with the 1s today. Lots of 2 TE sets.

-McCown threw a gorgeous deep ball during an 11-on-11 drill to Marquess Wilson, who made a great leaping grab. It was textbook.

-The 2nd unit offensive line changed as practice went along. It started out (from left to right) as Cory Brandon, Eben Britton, Edwin Williams, Kyle Long, and Jonathan Scott, but when Long started getting first team snaps, it was C. Brandon, James Brown, Taylor Boggs, E. Williams, and E. Britton.

-Jordan Mills got very little work with the second team but held his own during positional drills.

-Matt Slauson struggled versus both Melton and Paea. Melton made him look silly and completely blew by him for an open “hit” at the quarterback.

-Corvey Irvin pulled a nasty swim move, and looked to be the most impressive of the group that is competing for the 4th DT spot.

-Eben Britton struggled during positional drills, but looked fine during team drills.

-Cory Brandon was able to handle Shea McClellin when they went one-on-one during positional drills, but conversely, McClellin was having his way with J’Marcus Webb.

-During those same one-on-one drills, Kyle Long threw Nate Collins down to the ground. It was quite impressive.

-Kyle Long seemed to hold is own all practice, and he is definitely getting better every day.

-Roberto Garza was really able to hold his ground in one-on-one drills. He did better than I anticipated.

-Edwin Williams struggled during 11-on-11 drills at both Center and Guard.

-Slauson got beat pretty bad by a D.J. Williams blitz during 11-on-11 drills.

-More than half of the practice elapsed before Long saw time with the first team. James Brown is definitely ahead of him at this point at RG, but if Slauson continues to struggle at LG, we could see both Brown and Long start.

-During 11-on-11s, Cutler threw a deep bomb to Jeffery, who had a step on Kelvin Hayden, and he made a great over-the-shoulder catch for the touchdown. It looked just like the touchdown in the Bears-Vikings game Week 13. It was beautiful. The crowd loved it.

-I didn’t see Cutler throw an interception all day (which doesn’t mean it didn’t happen)

-Martellus Bennett seemed to be Cutler’s favorite target today. They are developing good chemistry.

-Devin Aromashodu saw a surprising amount of time with the first team, and he looks to be the 4th WR as of right now.

-Joe Anderson struggled a little bit, including a fumble/incompletion where he started running before he had full control of the ball. Steltz took it to the endzone, untouched.

-Terrance Tolliver spent a significant amount of time with the second team, and looked impressive with some nice catches. He is definitely higher on the depth chart than I thought.

-Isaiah Frey made a nice interception on a ball from Matt Blanchard. Couldn’t tell for sure, but I think it was tipped.

-Tony Fiammetta was in with the first team more than I anticipated

-Maneri lined up in the backfield on a Shotgun play or two

-Gabe Miller made a couple of nice catches after struggling early on.

-Sherrick McManis made a couple of nice pass breakups. He’s showing that he’s more than just a special teams player

Players whose stock is rising after the first day in pads: Josh McCown, James Brown, Kyle Long, Fendi Onobun, Devin Aromashodu, Terrance Tolliver, Cory Brandon, Corvey Irvin, and Sherrick McManis.

Players whose stock is falling after the first day in pads: Erik Weems, Edwin Williams, and, to a lesser extent, Matt Slauson.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I do not have the yearly subscription though. I use the month to month plan at like just shy of $10 a month.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What you're not considering is that judging a team with no less than 5 new starters on offense, 4 on defense, a new coaching staff and completely new offensive system after 3 practices is impossible. Seeing a player possibly regress in his first day in pads after 3 years of sub par play is not a knee jerk judgement.

Of course it is. Bushrod gave up a QB killer type wiff and no one's concerned. That's rational because it's early. If Webb plays crap and looks out of shape when we see him play like he did in the pre last year, I'll be the 1st to blast him, just like I did last year until he caught up.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Thats fuckin ridiculous

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
While verbatim isn't allowed, the articles could be paraphrased... with a lot of effort.

We could Google translate it to Chinese etc and then back. Easy and will definitely change, LOL.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Of course it is. Bushrod gave up a QB killer type wiff and no one's concerned. That's rational because it's early. If Webb plays crap and looks out of shape when we see him play like he did in the pre last year, I'll be the 1st to blast him, just like I did last year until he caught up.
Giving up 1 "sack" by a proven,2X Probowl tackle in practice, not a concern. Giving up at least 3 "sacks" in 1 practice by player considered the worst at his position 2 of the last 3 years, a little more worrisome.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Bushrod gave up a QB killer type wiff and no one's concerned.
Not concerned because Bushrod earned the benefit of the doubt. Webb, in 3 years, has only earned doubt.
Explain the thaw in my thinking here.