Does anyone else struggle to like what has become of the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The ability to play in space and to drop back in a cover two has displaced the need to shed bocks and come forward to stuff the run. You also see a greater emphasis of this in the form of placing an emphasis on edge rushers.
Ray Lewis >>>>>> Dick Butkus
Julius Peppers >>>>> Dan Hampton

Get over it.

I think one of the reasons theyve tried to legislate the running game out of football is because they think its easier/better to market QBs than RBs.
Since 1997, there have been four 2,000 yard rushers. Since 1990 there have only been three years in which the leading rusher in the NFL hasn't rushed for more than 1,500 yards. Yep, they are really legislating the running game out of football. Get real.

In an early post you said passing for 4,000 yards isn't an accomplishment anymore. That because of new rules it is easier and that is what the trend has been. I can just as easily argue that since 1972 it has been much easier to rush for over 1,300 yards in a season.

Just for comparison sake, you have to average 250 yards passing a game in order to throw for over 4,000 yards. You have to average 75 yards rushing to rush for over 1,200 in a season. Seems just as easy to me.
For one, QBs are more reflective of America demographically. The US is 75% white. You see this reflected in the QB position. Im not saying that the owners and league executives are overtly trying to make a position thats predominantly black obsolete, but lets face it. The demographics I mentioned make owners want to feature QBs more.
Well now you are making a different argument.
The league wants to pay the QBs a lot of money to be the face of the league and their teams. So, its in their interest financially to see the league tilt the game in that direction.
In 2009, 16 of the top 25 salaries in the NFL were not QB's. That is simply not a true statement. Here are the facts.

(I know you have problems with this, so please put your cursor over the underlined phrase 'Here are the facts' and the internet will redirect you to see what I am talking about)

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Athletes are more dynamic now than 25 years ago. It isn't just football that has been more prevalent. It's been across all American sports. Maybe not baseball actually, unless you count the steriod enlarged players.
Steroids aside, baseball is the only sport where that argument can actually be made, imo.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Personally, I believe the moment the NFL, and other organized athletics, started to accept, and praise the benefits of artificial turf, began the whirlwind of additional freak injuries. If they were serious about injury prevention, and not just retaliation rule changes, then the NFL would have banned the really bad turfs in the league.
I'm not sure how much the NFL can actually rule on the type of surface the game is played on. Dimensions of the field, and the markings on the field - sure, but to have a rule on the type of field that is played on....I'm not so sure.

I will say though that that is an interesting theory and something I can possibly see.
I think the NFL has done the right thing, as far as making rule changes to prevent injuries for some very obvious reasons. What I don't like, is how controversial the Chop Block is, and how the NFL sat on it's hands waiting. If you want to maintain the NFL with overly cautious rules, then the NFL needs to be consistent across the line for all types of injuries, for more than just the spotlight players.
I agree with you on the chop block rule, but I would disagree that they haven't been consistent with different rule changes. FirstTimer's latest post in this thread outlined that so I won't go too far in that.
I do feel that the NFL has far too strict of a stance, when it comes to controlling it's player's actions. I'm a solid libertarian, and I believe when you restrict a person from doing something stupid, that stupid person finds another way to get into trouble. It's almost like people provoke NFL players, because they know if they see a rival player in their bar or club, that the player could easily get suspended, fined, or even kicked out of the NFL if they decided to defend themselves.
I'm not too sure how your individual political beliefs fall into this discussion, but it seems to me that how they are controlling player's actions are probably part of the public outcry more than what the player's are actually doing.

I like the OT rule change.
I like sudden death. Nobody says you're not allowed to stop the other team if you don't get the ball first.
I miss old unnecessary roughness calls. Because at that point, a ref could easily distinguish unsportsmanlike conduct from honest contact driven by momentum. Why penalize a team when a lineman throws another lineman into the QB?
Well that is an example of an unnecessary roughness call. I guess I'm not too sure what you mean here.
Hell, the QB shouldn't be gazing the field to see how beautiful his pass looks. No! He should be getting himself clear to prevent those freak injuries that affect HIS career. How many times do you see QBs just sit in the pocket after the pass, and wait for an incoming DE to hit him on the DE's blind-side? Some QB's are masters at positioning themselves to get a flag thrown against the opposition.
Sure, but why fault the QB for knowing the rule and taking advantage of it.
At the current state, I agree the NFL is slowly going rule crazy. The game is still great to watch, so I am not bothered by it. I will be bothered when the non-injury prevention rules start favoring one side or the other(offense or defense).
Agreed.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:

Get over it.

Drivel

Since 1997, there have been four 2,000 yard rushers. Since 1990 there have only been three years in which the leading rusher in the NFL hasn't rushed for more than 1,500 yards. Yep, they are really legislating the running game out of football. Get real.

That has little to do with anything thats being discussed, shithead. Who is saying teams cant run?

In an early post you said passing for 4,000 yards isn't an accomplishment anymore. That because of new rules it is easier and that is what the trend has been. I can just as easily argue that since 1972 it has been much easier to rush for over 1,300 yards in a season.

Just for comparison sake, you have to average 250 yards passing a game in order to throw for over 4,000 yards. You have to average 75 yards rushing to rush for over 1,200 in a season. Seems just as easy to me.[/

Relevance? The pro-passing rules have really accelerated over the past 10 years. Thats also been mentioned before. Why did you miss that? Youre not even understanding the issue. You should have just asked someone who did. You could have saved yourself a lot of time.

Well now you are making a different argument.

No. Ive pretty much been sticking to the same argument. To whit, I even had to re-focus the discussion because you strayed away from the central thesis with more myopic and inane ramblings.

In 2009, 16 of the top 25 salaries in the NFL were not QB's. That is simply not a true statement. Here are the facts.

(I know you have problems with this, so please put your cursor over the underlined phrase 'Here are the facts' and the internet will redirect you to see what I am talking about)

We were discussing the imbalance brought about by rules changes. Check out how many players on that list are paid because of how they perform in or against the passing game. Probably 18 names on that list have a primary skill that has to do with the passing game. If anything, this affirms what Im telling you.

Oh the irony.

Last edited:

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

Get over it.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but not this. I'll give ya Ray Lewis, but Hampton had the ability to play DT and DE, was unstoppable at both spots, never took a playoff, and did it for about 12 years. Peppers hasn't come close to that.

Yet.

But if you were trying to make a general argument that players of today are better than athletes of the past, I'd agree. The guys are just incredibly bigger, faster, and stronger now.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
That has little to do with anything thats being discussed, shithead. Who is saying teams cant run?
Post #96, June 30, 2010
I think one of the reasons they've tried to legislate the running game out of football is because they think its easier/better to market QBs than RBs.
You said in this post that they have tried to legislate the running game out of football. I pointed out that the numbers do not reflect that notion. Running backs in the NFL are still running for the same amount of yards, so your premise that they are 'legislating the running game out of football' doesn't hold up when you look at the numbers.
Relevance? The pro-passing rules have really accelerated over the past 10 years. Thats also been mentioned before. Why did you miss that? Youre not even understanding the issue. You should have just asked someone who did. You could have saved yourself a lot of time.
Again, you said the NFL is trying to 'legislate the running game out of football.' Those are your words, not mine. I'm just telling you that that is not true. Look at the numbers.

No. Ive pretty much been sticking to the same argument. To whit, I even had to re-focus the discussion because you strayed away from the central thesis with more myopic and inane ramblings.
It is a different argument when you bring race into the discussion. The fact that there are more white QB's than black QB's has nothing to do with marketing.

We were discussing the imbalance brought about by rules changes. Check out how many players on that list are paid because of how they perform in or against the passing game. Probably 18 names on that list have a primary skill that has to do with the passing game. If anything, this affirms what Im telling you.
Post #96, June 30, 2010...
The league wants to pay the QBs a lot of money to be the face of the league and their teams
Again, you said the QB's are the faces of the franchise and they are paid top dollar. It's not true. Now you are changing what you said by saying 'primary skill that has to do with the passing game.' That's a lot different than what you originally said.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
He isn't saying there is more white QBs because of marketing. He is saying because most QBs are white and have always been mostly white, they get more media hype and the market has given more attention to them which made the league evolve into a futher pass friendly league.

All his complaint is that the league is too pass friendly nowadays. It's more so than the past no doubting it. You can embrace it or hate it, He chooses to hate it. It's a matter of personal choice, it's not much to debate, the debate is just adding random bits that are connected that aren't really of importance.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
He isn't saying there is more white QBs because of marketing. He is saying because most QBs are white and have always been mostly white, they get more media hype and the market has given more attention to them which made the league evolve into a futher pass friendly league.

All his complaint is that the league is too pass friendly nowadays. It's more so than the past no doubting it. You can embrace it or hate it, He chooses to hate it. It's a matter of personal choice, it's not much to debate, the debate is just adding random bits that are connected that aren't really of importance.

Its good to see someone has reading comprehension.

Indeed, it is true that the league has become pass happy. Citing rushing statistics has no relevance. The passing rules have become such that passing more exclusively correlates to team success. It shouldnt be that way. The league should be requiring balance for offenses to be effective. But they dont. You see a greater prevalence of pass happy teams whose offense correlate to team success. Ergo, theres an imbalance in the sport. Yeah, it can still hurt you if you lack balance against the better defensive teams but during the regular season, which is the vast majority of the games, theres not the incentive to have balance...and even to a large degree you can get away with a pass focused offense in the postseason.

And like you said, embracing the current NFL is a function of choice. But it requires me to look past shortcomings that I cant ignore.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Indeed, it is true that the league has become pass happy. Citing rushing statistics has no relevance.
It serves relevance when you bring up the fact that the NFL has "legislated" the running game out of football. You made those stats relevant dip shit. He didn't randomly bring them up.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
It serves relevance when you bring up the fact that the NFL has "legislated" the running game out of football. You made those stats relevant dip shit. He didn't randomly bring them up.
I'm glad somebody understands.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
I'm glad somebody understands.

No. What he's referring to is in sync with what Ive been saying. And I had actually responded accordingly in my post preceding the one youre quoting. But I see the guy likes to hampsterwheel and being last work freaks.

Clyde Lee seems to understand. You should start asking him questions before you hit 'submit reply'.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
No. What he's referring to is in sync with what Ive been saying. And I had actually responded accordingly in my post preceding the one youre quoting. But I see the guy likes to hampsterwheel and be a last work freak.

Clyde Lee seems to understand. You should start asking him questions before you hit 'submit reply'.
You must mean the post where you said this....
The passing rules have become such that passing more exclusively correlates to team success. It shouldnt be that way. The league should be requiring balance for offenses to be effective. But they dont. You see a greater prevalence of pass happy teams whose offense correlate to team success. Ergo, theres an imbalance in the sport. Yeah, it can still hurt you if you lack balance against the better defensive teams but during the regular season, which is the vast majority of the games, theres not the incentive to have balance...and even to a large degree you can get away with a pass focused offense in the postseason.
Well I don't think you can point to one of my posts in this thread where I have argued that passing doesn't = winning. I've only posted statistics that show RBs in the NFL are running at the same rate they have always been. Ignoring the facts that RBs today are playing against much more athletic competition, it is still shown that you need to have a good RB (most often two good RBs) to succeed in this league.

I'm going to take issue with a couple words that you have used in all of your posts in this thread. 'Prevalence' and 'Trend.' You seem to think that this is rather new. That passing has only correlated to wins in the recent years.

Here is a very smart guy who looks at these things. <-------hold cursor over and click.

What he did in this one is look at different statistics and see how they correlated to a teams success. Just to look at a few...

Team Passer Rating, .81
Yards per Pass Play, .80
Pass Yards Gained, .68
Rush Yards Gained, .04
Pass/Run Ratio, .02

Notice the last stat. That the difference between pass plays and rush plays has actually little to do with a team's success. EDIT: The play calling and balance between rushing and passing.

Nevermind that though. The 2009 season is far too small of a sample size to change anybody's opinion.

The same guy that did that study, also did this one.
<-------hold cursor over and click.

Even in his three paragraph introduction, he states your argument. Look...

In January, after having a little fun with team stats for the 2009 NFL season, I looked at the correlations between success (wins) and per-play passing and per-play rushing throughout the early years of this century. The trend is clear--a strong passing game does a top-tier team make. Running is far less determinative.

But rule changes and a paradigmatic shift away from raw power to pure speed (the fullback, a linchpin position as recently as Daryl "Moose" Johnston of the nineties' Cowboys, is all but dead today) have increasingly led to the predominance of passing over running. This has not always been the case.

That has been my conception, anway. To see how well it meshes with reality, I ran the numbers extending all the way back to the 1969 season. The following table traces the last four decades, showing the correlations between winning and both passing yards per attempt and running yards per attempt by regular season:

That's your argument right??? Rule changes and shifts in offensive philosophy right?? This is all recent right????

If you bothered to even look at the chart, you'll see that since 1969 only once (2000 season) has rushing correlated more with winning than passing has.

The data dispute the preceding narrative. There is a lot of variation in the strength of the correlations from season to season, as is of course expected given that defense, special teams, penalties, schedules, etc are not taken into account. Still, passing has consistently been tied more tightly to success than running has been

Over the last three decades, passing's importance has risen marginally, correlating with wins at .57 on average durings the 00s, from .52 in the eighties (.55 in the nineties)--but in the seventies, the average was .62. It's nothing new.

That last sentence is the one that should stick out the most for you. The NFL that you see today, in terms of the importance of passing vs. rushing is no different than what you grew up with.

Check and Mate.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
You must mean the post where you said this....

Well I don't think you can point to one of my posts in this thread where I have argued that passing doesn't = winning. I've only posted statistics that show RBs in the NFL are running at the same rate they have always been. Ignoring the facts that RBs today are playing against much more athletic competition, it is still shown that you need to have a good RB (most often two good RBs) to succeed in this league.

Running at the same rate? You pointed out that there have been 4 2000 yard rushers since 1997. Again, thats not even really the issue and also 2 of those were the 90s when there was a greater necessity to have balance. Youre not even in the relevant range with this. But beyond that, there really isnt as great a need to have balance. Its much easier to get away with being pass happy now. 13 years ago, Jimmy Johnson knew this and was trying to draft running backs to complement Dan Marino. Thats really not as much of an issue now.

I'm going to take issue with a couple words that you have used in all of your posts in this thread. 'Prevalence' and 'Trend.' You seem to think that this is rather new. That passing has only correlated to wins in the recent years.

See my comment above. The rules have made is so beneficial to pass that teams can get away with a lack of balance now. The issue isnt, nor has it ever been that you cant run now. It seems like 80% of your posts have lacked relevance because youve been chasing the wrong issue.

Here is a very smart guy who looks at these things. <-------hold cursor over and click.

What he did in this one is look at different statistics and see how they correlated to a teams success. Just to look at a few...

Team Passer Rating, .81
Yards per Pass Play, .80
Pass Yards Gained, .68
Rush Yards Gained, .04
Pass/Run Ratio, .02

Notice the last stat. That the difference between pass plays and rush plays has actually little to do with a team's success. EDIT: The play calling and balance between rushing and passing.

Nevermind that though. The 2009 season is far too small of a sample size to change anybody's opinion.

The same guy that did that study, also did this one.
<-------hold cursor over and click.

Even in his three paragraph introduction, he states your argument. Look...

Ill have to drill more into his numbers later.

That's your argument right??? Rule changes and shifts in offensive philosophy right?? This is all recent right????

Youre a little late, guy.

If you bothered to even look at the chart, you'll see that since 1969 only once (2000 season) has rushing correlated more with winning than passing has.

Yeah, I remember in the late 80s when someone looked at statistics and concluded the most meaningful stat was yards per pass. But when you look at the 80s and 90s, the vast majority of teams that won, had very strong running games.

82 Redskins, 83 Raiders, 85 Bears, 86 Giants, 87 Redskins, 90 Giants, 91 Reskins, 92 Cowboys, 93 Cowboys, 95 Cowboys, 97 Broncos, 98 Broncos, and 99 Rams could all run the ball. The only exception really during this time period was the 49ers and even they had Roger Craig or Rickey Watters who were productive. I think if you look at the SB winners during those years, the winning teams most often will be the team that had the most rushing yards.

Now, in the last 10 years, its like something you do when youre not passing.

There have been instances when a lack of a running game has bitten teams in the ass, take the 07 Pats for example. They fell in love with the pass but the fact that they didnt cultivate a running game reinforces what Im saying. Again, in 1997 Jimmy Johnson was on a never ending quest to upgrade their running game, meanwhile the 97 Pats ignored it largely because they felt they could. Why did the Pats feel like they could and Jimmy Johnson see it as a necessity?

That last sentence is the one that should stick out the most for you. The NFL that you see today, in terms of the importance of passing vs. rushing is no different than what you grew up with.

I appreciate that youve changed your approach to this discussion and re-tailored your arguments but, like I said, in the late 80s some guy thought he had it figured out that yards per pass play was the most important stat. 10 years later Jimmy Johnson is on a crusade to find a running game. There are different moving pieces. Its still important to defend the run (teams load up against Peterson more than Favre) but the rule changes are the variable that has drastically changed things.

Check and Mate.

Youve been saying stuff like this even before you figured out what was going on and re-tailored your argument. When youre the last person involved in a discussion to figure out whats going on, this kind of posturing and chest pounding looks silly.

Lefty

Liked Posts:
Looking at statistics that show you that being able to pass the ball well is more determinative when it comes to winning football than running is and then saying "YEAH, BUT DEEZ SUPER BOWL WINNERZ HAD TEH RUNNING" is really, really funny.

No one has ever said that running the ball in the NFL is bad, and you have been shown that running the ball has less of an impact on winning than other facets of the game, yet you continue to bluster and come back with anecdotal retorts that do little to fortify your position on the issue.

But on the issue of your SB winners list: do you know what all those teams have in common? They were, more often than not, really good at football. They have to be, they won the damn Super Bowl. So when you fire back at statistics showing you that passing is insanely more correlated with winning than running is by listing Super Bowl winners, you are essentially pointing to teams that did all things well as vindication of your point. That's laughable.

It's akin to saying "well, X amount of the last Y Super Bowl winners have had at least average kickers, so kicking must be really important!"

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Good to see Lex L is still being clowned around in here.

I like how the argument now is basically Lex is acting like an old man saying how things were "back in his day" when stats are showing the exact opposite. Lex has offered no real backing for his argument other than his deluded "memories" of how things "were" and now that he has evidence staring him in the face that contradicts his absurd claims he continues to drone on about "digging deeper into the numbers" and offering no other real counter argument. Good work.

Asshat.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Running at the same rate? You pointed out that there have been 4 2000 yard rushers since 1997. Again, thats not even really the issue and also 2 of those were the 90s when there was a greater necessity to have balance.
Greater necessity?? The research I provided to you shows that it is team's best interest to pass. Has always been.
But beyond that, there really isnt as great a need to have balance.
Never has been, really.
Its much easier to get away with being pass happy now. 13 years ago, Jimmy Johnson knew this and was trying to draft running backs to complement Dan Marino. Thats really not as much of an issue now.
Also, back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and the 00's. And you don't think teams draft running backs to fit needs?? James Addai and LaDanian Tomlinson (the early oughts version) are on the phone for you.

See my comment above. The rules have made is so beneficial to pass that teams can get away with a lack of balance now. The issue isnt, nor has it ever been that you cant run now. It seems like 80% of your posts have lacked relevance because youve been chasing the wrong issue.
Did you not see my last post where I showed a study that says passing has correlated more to winning than running??? Sounds to me that smart offensive coordinators know what they are doing.

Ill have to drill more into his numbers later.
Can't wait for your hard hitting analysis, on something I'm willing to bet you clearly do not understand.

Youre a little late, guy.
I'm late because you keep moving the goal post back on your argument. Also, my posts have lacked relevance to you because you don't want to accept them, not that they don't have meaning.

Yeah, I remember in the late 80s when someone looked at statistics and concluded the most meaningful stat was yards per pass. But when you look at the 80s and 90s, the vast majority of teams that won, had very strong running games.
Yes, that complemented their very good passing games. What a shocker that good teams in the 80's and 90's were able to do both very well.
I think if you look at the SB winners during those years, the winning teams most often will be the team that had the most rushing yards.
You don't think a small part of that is running out the clock late in games when they have leads???
Now, in the last 10 years, its like something you do when youre not passing.
GFY. You can't, and apparently never have been able to, win football games without a good passing attack (save the year 2000). That does not dismiss the fact that yes, you still need a decent amount of balance and a good running game. That is why guys like LT, Westbrook, Stephen Jackson, and Frank Gore are very rich men.
There have been instances when a lack of a running game has bitten teams in the ass, take the 07 Pats for example. They fell in love with the pass but the fact that they didnt cultivate a running game reinforces what Im saying
Point to me where I have ever said that a team didn't need a running game? Interesting you cite the 07 Pats as your example, when they lost that game to a team who passed for 50 yards more than they averaged in the regular season, and where held to one of the lowest rushing outputs all season - but ok. It's not like they won the game on a last second pass or anything.
Again, in 1997 Jimmy Johnson was on a never ending quest to upgrade their running game, meanwhile the 97 Pats ignored it largely because they felt they could. Why did the Pats feel like they could and Jimmy Johnson see it as a necessity?
Your hardon for Jimmy Johnson aside, it couldn't possibly be because a smart guy like Jimmy Johnson knew that a good running game would open up the passing game more???

I appreciate that youve changed your approach to this discussion and re-tailored your arguments but, like I said, in the late 80s some guy thought he had it figured out that yards per pass play was the most important stat. 10 years later Jimmy Johnson is on a crusade to find a running game. There are different moving pieces. Its still important to defend the run (teams load up against Peterson more than Favre) but the rule changes are the variable that has drastically changed things.
More Jimmy Johnson. Ugh.

More dismissing of stats. Ugh.

Defense lines up against the run. Ugh.

Dismissing the findings of the history of the NFL. Ugh.

Again, and let me put this in bold so as to emphasive my point, I have never argued that a team shouldn't run the ball, nor should the offensive play calling not be balanced. Haven't said either of those. My aim throughout all of this has been to show that a. teams still run the ball just as much as they have in the past and b. the new passing rules have meant nothing as far as how much a team decides to pass.

Have some of the new rules made it easier to pass?? Sure, I've never denied that. But for you to dismiss all of the statistics I've given you, and to dismiss the findings of a guy smarter than both of us is just silly. I might be reshaping my argument, but at least I'm putting more thought into any of this than just laying out anecdotes.
Youve been saying stuff like this even before you figured out what was going on and re-tailored your argument. When youre the last person involved in a discussion to figure out whats going on, this kind of posturing and chest pounding looks silly.
Fair enough, but until you can provide me with anything that disproves what I posted about passing in 2010 meaning just as much as it did since Super Bowl 1, I'm going to declare victory.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Greater necessity?? The research I provided to you shows that it is team's best interest to pass. Has always been.

Never has been, really.

Also, back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and the 00's. And you don't think teams draft running backs to fit needs?? James Addai and LaDanian Tomlinson (the early oughts version) are on the phone for you.

Did you not see my last post where I showed a study that says passing has correlated more to winning than running??? Sounds to me that smart offensive coordinators know what they are doing.

Can't wait for your hard hitting analysis, on something I'm willing to bet you clearly do not understand.

I'm late because you keep moving the goal post back on your argument. Also, my posts have lacked relevance to you because you don't want to accept them, not that they don't have meaning.

Yes, that complemented their very good passing games. What a shocker that good teams in the 80's and 90's were able to do both very well.

You don't think a small part of that is running out the clock late in games when they have leads???

GFY. You can't, and apparently never have been able to, win football games without a good passing attack (save the year 2000). That does not dismiss the fact that yes, you still need a decent amount of balance and a good running game. That is why guys like LT, Westbrook, Stephen Jackson, and Frank Gore are very rich men.
Point to me where I have ever said that a team didn't need a running game? Interesting you cite the 07 Pats as your example, when they lost that game to a team who passed for 50 yards more than they averaged in the regular season, and where held to one of the lowest rushing outputs all season - but ok. It's not like they won the game on a last second pass or anything.

Your hardon for Jimmy Johnson aside, it couldn't possibly be because a smart guy like Jimmy Johnson knew that a good running game would open up the passing game more???

More Jimmy Johnson. Ugh.

More dismissing of stats. Ugh.

Defense lines up against the run. Ugh.

Dismissing the findings of the history of the NFL. Ugh.

Again, and let me put this in bold so as to emphasive my point, I have never argued that a team shouldn't run the ball, nor should the offensive play calling not be balanced. Haven't said either of those. My aim throughout all of this has been to show that a. teams still run the ball just as much as they have in the past and b. the new passing rules have meant nothing as far as how much a team decides to pass.

Have some of the new rules made it easier to pass?? Sure, I've never denied that. But for you to dismiss all of the statistics I've given you, and to dismiss the findings of a guy smarter than both of us is just silly. I might be reshaping my argument, but at least I'm putting more thought into any of this than just laying out anecdotes.

Fair enough, but until you can provide me with anything that disproves what I posted about passing in 2010 meaning just as much as it did since Super Bowl 1, I'm going to declare victory.

I looked at youre guy's statistical analysis. In one link he admits he doesnt account for variables. And in the other link he's focusing exclusively on yards per rush and yards per pass. Ive already referred to yards per pass receiving attention as an end all, be all stat. But theres a massive flaw with looking at yards per run. It doesnt tell you how much a team is running. A team that is a pass happy team that has a high yards per carry because they throw all the time is compared against a team that runs a lot. Lets say there is a pass happy team that averages 4.8 yards per carry because the opposing defenses are focused on the pass. Then lets say there is a team that runs the ball a lot and has a yards per rush of 4.7. The 4.7 is more impressive. But this guys analysis fails to take this into account.

As I said before, there are different moving pieces. And this guy admitted from the outset that he has no intention to take them into account. Also, ive mentioned the yards per pass before, yet 10 years later, there was Jimmy Johnson with Dan Marino in a crusade to find a running game. But the game has changed that much over the past 10 years and it wouldnt have been as necessary for him to commit to this like he did.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The 2005 Draft says hai!

I looked at youre guy's statistical analysis. In one link he admits he doesnt account for variables. And in the other link he's focusing exclusively on yards per rush and yards per pass. Ive already referred to yards per pass receiving attention as an end all, be all stat. But theres a massive flaw with looking at yards per run. It doesnt tell you how much a team is running. A team that is a pass happy team that has a high yards per carry because they throw all the time is compared against a team that runs a lot. Lets say there is a pass happy team that averages 4.8 yards per carry because the opposing defenses are focused on the pass. Then lets say there is a team that runs the ball a lot and has a yards per rush of 4.7. The 4.7 is more impressive.
Ok, and the exact opposite could be true...a team's passing numbers could be skewed because a team is stacking up against the run and daring to beat them with the pass. But yeah, let's not ignore that flaw in your logic.

Your argument essentially boils down to "I can't disprove the study....but this wild unproven hypothetical(which has it's own opposite hypothetical that destroys it) proves this statistical study wrong!

Also, ive mentioned the yards per pass before, yet 10 years later, there was Jimmy Johnson with Dan Marino in a crusade to find a running game
And 10 years after that 3 running backs were taken in the top 5 of the NFL draft. LT and Shaun Alexander were breaking TD records. Chris Johnson was breaking 2,000 yards...and on and on and on. For the NFL "legislating" the running out of the game there still seems to be a hell of a lot of good running backs and runningbacks getting paid massive amounts of money. But yeah, let's ignore that and focus on Jimmiy Johnson drafting Jabbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.