Does anyone else struggle to like what has become of the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Oh, look. The angry women have responded. LOL.

Lefty

Liked Posts:

:rolleyes: Yet you have nothing to say to posts that make you look like a complete fool. You're pathetic. Just stop posting.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Z Since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, the average player is nearly 25 pounds heavier, averaging 245.

Z Over the same period, the average offensive lineman is 62 pounds heavier; defensive lineman, 34 pounds.

Z Running backs weigh 17 pounds more and quarterbacks are 26 pounds heavier.

The NFL today is bigger, faster, harder. They have to make these rules to compensate for horrible serious injuries...

Just look at the findings of Chris Henry, that is a terrifying issue. Not to add the common trend of former linemen dying off in their 40s-50s.

The people who have been watching and hyped about all the big fast hits and big plays are the ones to blame. The league and Commissioner are not the ones to blame, they are just making sure the league can continue at a same style.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
"Keep the players safe"...ha! Like I said, since its too dangerous, they should just go to flag football...that way there are no concussions, fewer knee injuries, etc...then everyone will be safe.
Do you see that cargo plane flying over your head? It's carrying the point. Nobody has said their are not going to be injuries in football. Not one person. What we have been saying is that your meatball perception that they are babying QB's is not a bad thing given the number of ex NFL players that swallow shot guns because they are mentally screwed.

I see the gutterpukes here are doing their circle jerk again. I guess some of them did a report on sports injuries in HS.
What a disingenuous turd you are. I link two articles whose main quotes come from a neurosurgeon and you can't even be bothered to read it. Instead we get this which shows one of two things. Either...
1. You're too much of an idiot to grasp any of the concepts myself, Lefty, and FirstTimer are throwing at you.
2. You're so wrapped up in your meatball persona that you can't bring yourself to give what anybody else has to say about this. Instead you go on spouting off the days of old as if anybody gives a shit about it.

Like it hasnt been known that football is dangerous. Duh! Thats part of it. Its a contact sport.
As my old coach Johnny D used to say, "football isn't a contact sports, it is a collision sport."
This is for the stupid: They have to be careful to not lose the integrity of the sport by giving way to too many imbalances.
Imbalances to the mouth-breathers such as yourself.
Besides that, the injury argument is a little disengenuous as, in a lot of instances, this really goes back to over protecting the QBs...and the owners want to pay the QBs a lot of money and not lose them because theyre paying them a lot of money. So, theyve turned the sport into flag football because of economic factors more than its that they dont want players to have arthritic knees in 15 years.
I must have forgotten, they outlawed tackling on the field a couple of years ago. Silly men, because if they hadn't calling the football played today 'flag football' itself would be a little disingenuous.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Understand that Im only seeing quotes.
You're not that......you couldn't be that......no, wait......there is no way you are too stupid to understand that I linked both articles. I mean, you're not that stupid to understand all you had to do was click the links I provided and read for yourself? You're not right??

Right??

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I just realized who you are now. I mean, I don't know you, but I have a pretty good idea who you are.

You're in your forties, maybe you fifties. You obviously played high school football, maybe even college football. Maybe you even had a cup of coffee in the NFL. Now, you're the guy at the end of the bar telling stories of your glory days and letting everybody know that Dick Butkus could pop the helmet off of Purple Jesus.

You sit at the end of the bar and talk about how players in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's played for the love of the game. You talk about how all it is now is money, and who endorses this product (as if Dick Butkus never endorsed a product), and why these prima donnas will never be as good as the guys you watched because that was a special time.

All the while, never realizing that the football played today is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above anything that was played during those times.

Most of all, you're just a tool.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Do you see that cargo plane flying over your head? It's carrying the point. Nobody has said their are not going to be injuries in football. Not one person. What we have been saying is that your meatball perception that they are babying QB's is not a bad thing given the number of ex NFL players that swallow shot guns because they are mentally screwed.

On the contrary. Its you who is missing the point. Football is a rough sport and there are going to be injuries. But theyve gone too far with it. But its more than that. Its also the fact that theyve made it harder for DBacks to go along with all these rule changes protecting some QBs. And as a result, its led to an enormous imbalance in the way the game is played.

What a disingenuous turd you are. I link two articles whose main quotes come from a neurosurgeon and you can't even be bothered to read it. Instead we get this which shows one of two things. Either...
1. You're too much of an idiot to grasp any of the concepts myself, Lefty, and FirstTimer are throwing at you.
2. You're so wrapped up in your meatball persona that you can't bring yourself to give what anybody else has to say about this. Instead you go on spouting off the days of old as if anybody gives a shit about it.

I have those two ladies on ignore. And its not really about a blood lust its about turning the game into flag football, which is what theyre doing. Its too pass friendly. Its about marketing more than its about injuries where the rules for the passing game is concerned. About 7 years ago, they cracked down on how DBs could launch themselves at WRs in the air. I didnt really have a problem with that. There was a lot of cheap stuff going on with guys going for big hits. But in the process, guys were missing tackles and ignoring chances to make interceptions. It was cheap and sensationalistic.

But again, its not really about injuries as much as its about marketing.

As my old coach Johnny D used to say, "football isn't a contact sports, it is a collision sport."

I dont care what your old coach used to say. The only thing youve proven here is that youd make a nice parrot.

Imbalances to the mouth-breathers such as yourself.

Youre the mouth breather. If it wasnt for your old coach, youd be incapable of thought. It must suck to have to call him to participate in this conversation, though.

I must have forgotten, they outlawed tackling on the field a couple of years ago. Silly men, because if they hadn't calling the football played today 'flag football' itself would be a little disingenuous.

Its like I said, theyve made a lot of rule changes layered over other rule changes. If theyre going to make rules so they can protect some QBs (and not others), then they should give something back to the DBs...like give them more freedom when it comes to making contact with the WRs. Its just been a one way street for the last 10 years and suddenly 4000 yards passing is a joke because everyone is doing it.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
On the contrary. Its you who is missing the point. Football is a rough sport and there are going to be injuries. But theyve gone too far with it.
So to make it clear....you are ok with concussions?

And its not really about a blood lust its about turning the game into flag football, which is what theyre doing. Its too pass friendly. Its about marketing more than its about injuries where the rules for the passing game is concerned. About 7 years ago, they cracked down on how DBs could launch themselves at WRs in the air. I didnt really have a problem with that. There was a lot of cheap stuff going on with guys going for big hits. But in the process, guys were missing tackles and ignoring chances to make interceptions.
Launching yourself at a receiver who is in the air leads to injuries for both players. Why are you incapable of seeing that?

I dont care what your old coach used to say. The only thing youve proven here is that youd make a nice parrot.
As opposed to all of the other points that I have made that are my own.

Youre the mouth breather. If it wasnt for your old coach, youd be incapable of thought. It must suck to have to call him to participate in this conversation, though.

Its like I said, theyve made a lot of rule changes layered over other rule changes. If theyre going to make rules so they can protect some QBs (and not others), then they should give something back to the DBs...like give them more freedom when it comes to making contact with the WRs. Its just been a one way street for the last 10 years and suddenly 4000 yards passing is a joke because everyone is doing it.
3 yards and a cloud of dust is the only way to play football!!!!

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
So to make it clear....you are ok with concussions?

Launching yourself at a receiver who is in the air leads to injuries for both players. Why are you incapable of seeing that?

I called this cheap. I dont see what youre getting at here.

Sorry, Ive dismissed you for the most part. Not because Im saying youre insignificant but because this conversation has taken place over a long period of time and Im not really overly compelled to go back and hang on everyones every word. Im mainly responding to the more recent posts. Im not going to get shoehorned into this being only about injuries. Like I said, I question that so theres really not traction there. Ive already elaborated why and how.

3 yards and a cloud of dust is the only way to play football!!!!

Theres nothing wrong with running the football. Besides, I think Ive said numerous times that the NFL should be about balance and its not. It should equally beneficial to be able to run the ball as much as it is to pass the ball.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Theres nothing wrong with running the football. Besides, I think Ive said numerous times that the NFL should be about balance and its not. It should equally beneficial to be able to run the ball as much as it is to pass the ball.

If your belief is the NFL should be about balance, why are you against the NFL's changing of the overtime rules to try and be as they see it, fair or in a way to give balance to both team.

I'm against those rules and like running more and believe it's taken a dive, but it is what it has been changing into for years. Just because somethings not status quo doesn't make it wrong, evil, or not the same sport.

Running and strong defense isn't completely ruled out as much as though. There still is near a 50-50 range of teams that try to play Run-D or Heavy pass. There is always 2-3 heavy run teams in the playoffs each season. The NFL teams success should be going on the QB position and still was 25 years ago and so on before then, it will always be the most important position of the game.

I've seen plenty of people with the games wussified view but it's been coming more and more evident how that is key now. At least nobody here seems to be saying what I always hear to just get rid of kicking and punters anyway, their wussy players now and are "real football players" I guess they don't care they would completely abandon any aspect making the game FOOTball.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
If your belief is the NFL should be about balance, why are you against the NFL's changing of the overtime rules to try and be as they see it, fair or in a way to give balance to both team.

This is not balance as much as its little league...where every one gets a trophy...everyone gets to bat at least once a game. No. Balance is relying on your defense to get you the ball back if you lose the flip.

I'm against those rules and like running more and believe it's taken a dive, but it is what it has been changing into for years. Just because somethings not status quo doesn't make it wrong, evil, or not the same sport.

I think you have your terminology mixed up...but thats not really important. Yeah, its not the same sport. Its just not. What the NFL has become is a joke. Ive really lost my enthusiasm for it because of what it has become. I guess Ive felt that way for a long time...and truly, Ive really been more a fan of my team than the NFL as a whole.

Running and strong defense isn't completely ruled out as much as though. There still is near a 50-50 range of teams that try to play Run-D or Heavy pass. There is always 2-3 heavy run teams in the playoffs each season. The NFL teams success should be going on the QB position and still was 25 years ago and so on before then, it will always be the most important position of the game.

Youre making a fair point here. NE lost a super bowl because they fell in love with the pass. Still though, that doesnt mean the league hasnt tilted the play in favor of passing. And they have--big time. While some teams do get rewarded for balance, its drastically dropped off.

I've seen plenty of people with the games wussified view but it's been coming more and more evident how that is key now. At least nobody here seems to be saying what I always hear to just get rid of kicking and punters anyway, their wussy players now and are "real football players" I guess they don't care they would completely abandon any aspect making the game FOOTball.

I hear that too. I guess Im more worried on the what the league has become during the other 75% of the plays.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The size and athleticism of the athletes these days just doesn't allow for that type of game to exist anymore. If they tried to play based on rules of the past there would be drastic changes.

The sport of football has always gone through tons and tons of changes over each decade, it is what it is today, if you don't like it that's a shame because it's bigger than ever.

Back when the sport was early, there weren't even passes. They had to implement the idea of the forward pass because injuries in college football were so rampant with players being bunched together. Even with that passing slowly took it's involvement into football. Paul Brown was one of the first people to build a team passing more than running. When they had their AFL vs NFL match and destroyed the Eagles, the Eagles coach said, "All they do is pass the ball" like it was a joke or mock against them as a part of football.

I heard a similar person with your attitude toward it complain about the wedge rule they changed last year after more serious injuries kept occurring, the Kevin Everette one took the spotlight of that issue. The guy posting didn't get why that would be an issue and said they should just make it so they could wedge as much as they want and not care. Which is humors someone who talks of glory day ball as something good because in the 1900s decade there were several college students dieing from being wedge clothelined and it became such an issue that it was banned and looked into by the presidents staff reportedly. Theodore Roosevelt... things change, rules have been being made slowly to change and safen the sport since it was built. That shouldn't be a big big issue to anyone but of course it always is.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
The size and athleticism of the athletes these days just doesn't allow for that type of game to exist anymore. If they tried to play based on rules of the past there would be drastic changes.

The sport of football has always gone through tons and tons of changes over each decade, it is what it is today, if you don't like it that's a shame because it's bigger than ever.

Back when the sport was early, there weren't even passes. They had to implement the idea of the forward pass because injuries in college football were so rampant with players being bunched together. Even with that passing slowly took it's involvement into football. Paul Brown was one of the first people to build a team passing more than running. When they had their AFL vs NFL match and destroyed the Eagles, the Eagles coach said, "All they do is pass the ball" like it was a joke or mock against them as a part of football.

I heard a similar person with your attitude toward it complain about the wedge rule they changed last year after more serious injuries kept occurring, the Kevin Everette one took the spotlight of that issue. The guy posting didn't get why that would be an issue and said they should just make it so they could wedge as much as they want and not care. Which is humors someone who talks of glory day ball as something good because in the 1900s decade there were several college students dieing from being wedge clothelined and it became such an issue that it was banned and looked into by the presidents staff reportedly. Theodore Roosevelt... things change, rules have been being made slowly to change and safen the sport since it was built. That shouldn't be a big big issue to anyone but of course it always is.

Youre getting back into the "its all about injuries" discussion. I dont really have a problem with the wedge play. Like I said, Im more worried about the imbalance during the other 75% of the plays. And its like I said, as farcical as some of these rules changes are that they claim are about preventing injuries, its really not about that as much as its marketing. But if theyre going to go to these lengths, they should really give back more freedom to the defensive backs.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
QBs sell, yes it is lame your right and that is the state they have got the league into. I'm just in the boat it's been a natural evolution of the sport. Yes it's been turned lopsided but there still is opportunity on the other end. I still bring up the injury issue because it does play into it. 1 reason or 1 side is never a reason for something. Qb's being the sport and getting the glam has been part of making it more opened up for them, but the injury issue is legit, these current sized athletes cannot play the game the way men did in the past without terrible consequences 30 Mil isn't even worth.

That whole "Brady Rule" concept wasn't even a new rule, that rule was created a year or 2 before actually. It should be called the Carson Palmer or Chad Pennington rule, it's what happened to Palmer in the playoff game of the season 05 and Pennington opening day, first snap of 07. They did enforce it more but as far as rules being rules that was there. I'm really just complaining about the rule name mostly here but the stupidest thing about being against it is they actually lessened the rule. They added the if a blocker pushes the D-man into the QB it isn't a penalty, and that is actually what happened to Brady.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
QBs sell, yes it is lame your right and that is the state they have got the league into. I'm just in the boat it's been a natural evolution of the sport. Yes it's been turned lopsided but there still is opportunity on the other end. I still bring up the injury issue because it does play into it. 1 reason or 1 side is never a reason for something. Qb's being the sport and getting the glam has been part of making it more opened up for them, but the injury issue is legit, these current sized athletes cannot play the game the way men did in the past without terrible consequences 30 Mil isn't even worth.

Theres a little bit of self-fulfilling prophecy in your better athlete argument. In other words, because the league has become so pass-friendly artificially (ie through rule changes), it has put a greater emphasis on athleticism. The ability to play in space and to drop back in a cover two has displaced the need to shed bocks and come forward to stuff the run. You also see a greater emphasis of this in the form of placing an emphasis on edge rushers. And also you now have CBs playing safety. To an extent, this just goes back to the 80s when Jimmy Johnson made slow LBs fast linemen. Are the athletes really better or is this really just more of what Jimmy Johnson did 25 years ago? Im not so sure the same athletes havent been there to a large extent for the past 20 years.

That whole "Brady Rule" concept wasn't even a new rule, that rule was created a year or 2 before actually. It should be called the Carson Palmer or Chad Pennington rule, it's what happened to Palmer in the playoff game of the season 05 and Pennington opening day, first snap of 07. They did enforce it more but as far as rules being rules that was there. I'm really just complaining about the rule name mostly here but the stupidest thing about being against it is they actually lessened the rule. They added the if a blocker pushes the D-man into the QB it isn't a penalty, and that is actually what happened to Brady.

OK, well that ties into what I had said about it really being about protecting some players.

I think one of the reasons theyve tried to legislate the running game out of football is because they think its easier/better to market QBs than RBs. For one, QBs are more reflective of America demographically. The US is 75% white. You see this reflected in the QB position. Im not saying that the owners and league executives are overtly trying to make a position thats predominantly black obsolete, but lets face it. The demographics I mentioned make owners want to feature QBs more. The league wants to pay the QBs a lot of money to be the face of the league and their teams. So, its in their interest financially to see the league tilt the game in that direction. Like I said, marketing is a big part of it.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Your right it is very controlled by it. It's just hard to argue most of the rules not being there. Yes I think the DBs contacting rule is too harsh and lopsided but if NFL WRs are being jammed and contacted down-field your gonna lose big play vibe. It'd be more fair, but as you say they loose marketing. It's maybe way too much buisness than a game nowadays, but it's been growing that way working.

Athletes are more dynamic now than 25 years ago. It isn't just football that has been more prevalent. It's been across all American sports. Maybe not baseball actually, unless you count the steriod enlarged players.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'm in late on this thread, but I'll wrap up what I agree and disagree with, as far as NFL rule changes.

Personally, I believe the moment the NFL, and other organized athletics, started to accept, and praise the benefits of artificial turf, began the whirlwind of additional freak injuries. If they were serious about injury prevention, and not just retaliation rule changes, then the NFL would have banned the really bad turfs in the league.

I think the NFL has done the right thing, as far as making rule changes to prevent injuries for some very obvious reasons. What I don't like, is how controversial the Chop Block is, and how the NFL sat on it's hands waiting. If you want to maintain the NFL with overly cautious rules, then the NFL needs to be consistent across the line for all types of injuries, for more than just the spotlight players.

I do feel that the NFL has far too strict of a stance, when it comes to controlling it's player's actions. I'm a solid libertarian, and I believe when you restrict a person from doing something stupid, that stupid person finds another way to get into trouble. It's almost like people provoke NFL players, because they know if they see a rival player in their bar or club, that the player could easily get suspended, fined, or even kicked out of the NFL if they decided to defend themselves.

I like the OT rule change.

I miss old unnecessary roughness calls. Because at that point, a ref could easily distinguish unsportsmanlike conduct from honest contact driven by momentum. Why penalize a team when a lineman throws another lineman into the QB? Hell, the QB shouldn't be gazing the field to see how beautiful his pass looks. No! He should be getting himself clear to prevent those freak injuries that affect HIS career. How many times do you see QBs just sit in the pocket after the pass, and wait for an incoming DE to hit him on the DE's blind-side? Some QB's are masters at positioning themselves to get a flag thrown against the opposition.

At the current state, I agree the NFL is slowly going rule crazy. The game is still great to watch, so I am not bothered by it. I will be bothered when the non-injury prevention rules start favoring one side or the other(offense or defense).

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think it's hilarious Lex keeps complaining about the game evolving and acting as though QB's just became marketing material in the last 10 years. Last I check guys like Namath, Unitas, Baugh, Luckman, etc all were used to market products in their day and the QB was always hyped up. Hell, I think I have a picture of Luckman trying to sell hair tonic.

Like it or not these players are investments, both to the team and to the league. The NFL has made all sorts of rules to protect every player on the field. Ironically enough Lex says the NFL is too hung up on protecting QB's and too concentrated on them...when that's all HE'S talking about and ignoring the host of other rules created to protect other players on the field that have come along in the last 30 years and even more recently. Even more recently you have things like the horse collar tackling being made illegal, as well as the wedge on kickoffs being illegal as well. Neither of those had anything to do with the QB. Cut blocks being outlawed, stricter facemask penalties, better fair ctach protection, the list goes on. None of those above have anythign to do with the QB. Maybe before accusing the NFL of being "too hung up" on the QB you should take a look in the mirror because right now that's all you have tunnel vision on.

Clown.

FedEx227

Liked Posts:
Joe Namath did nothing to help promote the NFL or the Super Bowl, sir.

tumblr_l0xsierg291qbye7fo1_500.png

"Johnny Unitas now that's a haircut you could set your watch to."

Status
Not open for further replies.