Does Jaylon Johnson’s deserve to get paid top-of-the-market money?

RuszBron1

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
The last game was nowhere near like top / elite db's play, missed interception, costly PI call, etc.

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
I mean, yeah, this team is so stacked with talent, they can definitely afford to let a top flight cover corner walk in free agency. Th how you build a good football team. You draft a player, develop them and let them walk.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Not at all. But look to the NFL salaries for CBs right now and look at the difference between the top of the market, the market for being 10-20th highest paid, and then how it cascades down to the 30th highest paid.

In reality, a not-insulting number that would keep a good player in camp would be to pay him between $12M and $14M a year, and I would offer that as a 3 year contract so that he has the incentive to try and earn another payday before he is too old and taking one-year contracts on a different team every year.

for reference, that $12-14M number would have him paid like one of the Eagles CBs. Has he produced like them? No. But Johnson's production is in light of a worse pass rush than the Eagles. Honoring his hard work with a pay day that observes that he will have better stats with a better pass rush - and then going out and getting a better pass rush - is the right move in my opinion. He would probably deserve less guaranteed money than the Eagle's CBs, but if you intend to have him play out the contract, then the difference in guaranteed money and bonus money comes down to what the incentives are tied to. I'd offer him incentives based on snaps with smaller ones based on turnovers, and I think he would be more inclined to sign to those kinds of incentives because turnovers have been hard to come by

msadows

Liked Posts:
I still want to retain him, but poles played this perfectly. I gave him shit at first but its working out perfectly.

Let him test to market to gauge his value, which wasn't nearly as high as he assumed it was.

Now he's also had a couple of his worst weeks of the season, dropping his value.

Correct move would be transition tag, imo

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I still want to retain him, but poles played this perfectly. I gave him shit at first but its working out perfectly.

Let him test to market to gauge his value, which wasn't nearly as high as he assumed it was.

Now he's also had a couple of his worst weeks of the season, dropping his value.

Correct move would be transition tag, imo
I don't know, now is a great time to add stable and healthy contracts that a young player can perform through the last day. A 3 year contract that rewards his work and growth to keep him in house seems like a better financial decision, unless the team is confident that they can replace his talents with a cheaper contract.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He absolutely needs to be retained as he is a top cover corner... but he doesn't deserve top money because he can't catch a cold. (Maybe he can attend the Tim Jennings school of how to catch passes as a Corner Back?)

He could have single handedly iced the game Sunday if he would have caught the pass in the redzone instead of dropping it and Detroit getting a TD instead on the next play. 3 chances to catch a Goff pass and he missed all 3. smh

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The more I look at this team and the players, the more I think Johnson might not be worth the money. Yes, there will be a drop off if he goes. But star players get star money, and while he is a very good cover corner, he just is missing that element that gets the big players paid the big money. He's like the Matt Forte of Cornerbacks...

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I mean, yeah, this team is so stacked with talent, they can definitely afford to let a top flight cover corner walk in free agency. Th how you build a good football team. You draft a player, develop them and let them walk.
Lmao. “Top flight” cover corner.

He’s a cover 2 corner. And he’s good at that. But in no way is this dude anywhere close to a fucking top flight cover corner. Delusional

msadows

Liked Posts:
I don't know, now is a great time to add stable and healthy contracts that a young player can perform through the last day. A 3 year contract that rewards his work and growth to keep him in house seems like a better financial decision, unless the team is confident that they can replace his talents with a cheaper contract.

Lol, I didnt say they shouldn't retain him. They should, just that poles played this perfectly thus far.

Toss the transition tag on him and let the market dictate his worth. I heavily doubt some team will offer him top 5 money, which he was trending towards at the deadline.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The last game was nowhere near like top / elite db's play, missed interception, costly PI call, etc.
It's funny how people only focus on the missed INT but don't seem to talk about how he did his job and read the play and made the play. The INT or even pick 6 would of been great but he still did his job. I've seen many CB's (even the top CB's) miss those type of INT's because they see a pick 6/end zone before they catch the ball and end up not making the catch.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
When will you realize that he is not a top flight cover corner. He is a slightly above average corner and should be offered accordingly.

Oh, and Walter Payton wasn't the Galloping ghost.

msadows

Liked Posts:
When will you realize that he is not a top flight cover corner. He is a slightly above average corner and should be offered accordingly.

Oh, and Walter Payton wasn't the Galloping ghost.

Cmon bro, he's not top 5 but he's not the 40th best corner in the NFL

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just fill the contract with incentives for BOTH INTs and pass against #s. 2nd marker is VG but I wouldn't want him to sacrifice that to get more pick opportunities.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Cmon bro, he's not top 5 but he's not the 40th best corner in the NFL
85th in passer rating allowed ( his best complete season ) for CB/DB last season with 3 career INT's. How high would you rate him?

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
85th in passer rating allowed ( his best complete season ) for CB/DB last season with 3 career INT's. How high would you rate him?

1700578458966.png

Looks like he's improved every year in passer rating against?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
View attachment 32465

Looks like he's improved every year in passer rating against?
He has improved... to better than replacement level in all three previous seasons. So he is 20th in PRA for CB's this season and almost a complete 0 as a playmaker his entire career. Like I said, slightly above average( and that is generous) and that is based on this being his best season by far.

His previous seasons are atrocious.

1700580305582.png

1700580225787.png

1700580149872.png

Last edited: