Does Jaylon Johnson’s deserve to get paid top-of-the-market money?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
The last game was nowhere near like top / elite db's play, missed interception, costly PI call, etc.
There were actually 2 missed INT's. He is top 5-7 cover DB's and deserves that kind of money, but not top money.
He's young and those guys are hard to find.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Lol, I didnt say they shouldn't retain him. They should, just that poles played this perfectly thus far.

Toss the transition tag on him and let the market dictate his worth. I heavily doubt some team will offer him top 5 money, which he was trending towards at the deadline.
Right on.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Its not just the missed INT........it's the fact it would have been a 'back breaker' for the Lions.....that would have been a 14 pt. turn around and probably 'sealed the deal' for the W.....it's not the play per se....it was the situation of the play.........as I have stated a few times in earlier posts......losing teams are full of players who ALMOST make the play. Da Bears need guys who MAKE those plays, NOT ALMOST make them. I would like to see JJ stay, but not so much after the Lion game.
Good point on the situation aspect, I like him but in the big moment he failed.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It was a short pass. Not a simple one, but definitely one a top cb should make.
Not the one he dove for but it hit the ground before he got all the way to it right??

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Don't forget 3T and another DE as well.

CB--If we don't re-sign JJ
FS--Definitely needed cause EJ needs to be gone.
DE
3T

Defense is now good.
Not forgetting. Prioritizing. A BIG YES at FS...I've posted before about that position, and after the Lion debacle, I personally placed EJ as the main culprit in that debacle. As we all know, there is blame to go around, but imo EJ led the way. In that situation, there is absolutely NO REASON, as FS, to allow a WR (or any other positional player) to get behind you for a TD strike in the End Zone. None, zero, nada, nyet.....end of story....and agreed on what positions need to be prioritized.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
JJ aint worth 15 mil a year, much less 20. Hes just a slightly above average CB. If you shell out contracts to slightly above average players you end up a mediocre team that is cap saddled.

The correct move was to trade him at the deadline, and poles blew that. Now, the correct move is to let him walk and get overpaid by someone else...I have a feeling Poles will screw up a 2nd time with JJ and pay him

CTA_employee9

Liked Posts:
Really good player. Only problem is the lil mf suddenly transforms into Katt Williams every time the ball hits his fingertips.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
This is how I see it playing out…

Bears place the franchise tag on him this offseason.

Bears trade down to acquire future draft capital.

Bears now have a draft pick to potentially replace him, receive more draft capital if they decide to trade him, or receive a compensatory pick if he signs elsewhere.

The lack of game changing plays on his resume makes me think he isn’t worth top dollar. He always preaches how he’s just been “unlucky” with balls not going his way, but he had an easy pick 6 this week and dropped it. I’m fine extending him, but I wouldn’t offer top CB money. Something in the $12-15M range seems fair.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
It was a short pass. Not a simple one, but definitely one a top cb should make.
Yeah i think we're thinking about the same one and IMO it wasn't an easy INT and not all the top CB's would of got it cause don't think they would of gotten to it. Just my opinion.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Yeah i think we're thinking about the same one and IMO it wasn't an easy INT and not all the top CB's would of got it cause don't think they would of gotten to it. Just my opinion.
Fair enough...

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Based on where he was on the field and how short the pass was, I agree it was not an easy INT like the potential pick 6.

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
He isn't getting it. I'm going to $17 mil per for JJ and that's it.
I would have agreed w/u BEFORE the Lions' game.....not now.....da Bears need players who MAKE plays....not ALMOST make them......forgive my redundancy.......

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
This is how I see it playing out…

Bears place the franchise tag on him this offseason.

Bears trade down to acquire future draft capital.

Bears now have a draft pick to potentially replace him, receive more draft capital if they decide to trade him, or receive a compensatory pick if he signs elsewhere.

The lack of game changing plays on his resume makes me think he isn’t worth top dollar. He always preaches how he’s just been “unlucky” with balls not going his way, but he had an easy pick 6 this week and dropped it. I’m fine extending him, but I wouldn’t offer top CB money. Something in the $12-15M range seems fair.
agree with all, but drafting his replacement.....imo...Bears already have his replacement.....need to draft a FS imo..

UChiLAbear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
hasn't Terrel Smith, 5th round pick this past draft from Minnesota U, been good in his limited play? Stevenson, Gordon, Smith...I think da Bears have 3 good young CBs.......I'm sorry but I've turned against him.....too many ALMOST plays over the 4 yrs w/him......and as a previous poster has mentioned, (my apologize for forgetting who) JJ has 3 INTs in 4 yrs and 2 were in a game this season. I thought that was his turning point to be elite, but I'm afraid I'm wrong. I've just plain 'soured' on the guy.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The last game was nowhere near like top / elite db's play, missed interception, costly PI call, etc.
Nope
Nope! Transition tag is the way to go

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Give him 5-10% more than Jamel Dean got last year to account for inflation. No higher.

roadwarrior_joe

Liked Posts:
JJ aint worth 15 mil a year, much less 20. Hes just a slightly above average CB. If you shell out contracts to slightly above average players you end up a mediocre team that is cap saddled.

The correct move was to trade him at the deadline, and poles blew that. Now, the correct move is to let him walk and get overpaid by someone else...I have a feeling Poles will screw up a 2nd time with JJ and pay him
I disagree, I think Poles is telling him, not in words but in his method, the same thing he told Smith. If you think you are worth it, go get it, because this is what we are willing to pay you, IF we really have to keep you.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
hasn't Terrel Smith, 5th round pick this past draft from Minnesota U, been good in his limited play? Stevenson, Gordon, Smith...I think da Bears have 3 good young CBs.......I'm sorry but I've turned against him.....too many ALMOST plays over the 4 yrs w/him......and as a previous poster has mentioned, (my apologize for forgetting who) JJ has 3 INTs in 4 yrs and 2 were in a game this season. I thought that was his turning point to be elite, but I'm afraid I'm wrong. I've just plain 'soured' on the guy.
The coaching staff ir really high on Terrel Smith, (for whatever it's worth) but he is or IR with mononucleosis.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
The more I look at this team and the players, the more I think Johnson might not be worth the money. Yes, there will be a drop off if he goes. But star players get star money, and while he is a very good cover corner, he just is missing that element that gets the big players paid the big money. He's like the Matt Forte of Cornerbacks...

And only 32 running backs in THE HISTORY of the game can say they have rushed for more yards than Forte. So yeah going off your statement, he deserves a 2nd contract as Bear.