Does Jaylon Johnson’s deserve to get paid top-of-the-market money?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I disagree, I think Poles is telling him, not in words but in his method, the same thing he told Smith. If you think you are worth it, go get it, because this is what we are willing to pay you, IF we really have to keep you.
lmao its nothing at all like the Roquan situation other than both had expiring contracts. thats it

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The coaching staff ir really high on Terrel Smith, (for whatever it's worth) but he is or IR with mononucleosis.
He played Sunday in Detroit. He’s on the active roster.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
JJ aint worth 15 mil a year, much less 20. Hes just a slightly above average CB. If you shell out contracts to slightly above average players you end up a mediocre team that is cap saddled.

The correct move was to trade him at the deadline, and poles blew that. Now, the correct move is to let him walk and get overpaid by someone else...I have a feeling Poles will screw up a 2nd time with JJ and pay him
I will have to disagree with JJ being "slightly above average," as I think he is firmly in the "good" category. I put him there because even with a couple errors last week, the "floor" of his performance on a week to week basis is fairly high.

A healthy contract that doesnt result in a cap-saddled team is one that is short enough in duration and organized in a way that moving on from him would not burden the team for more than a year. 3 Years, 15M a year, is not out of the question and would retain a player that keeps the FO from having to replace him. And while it may be easy to replace him, I would bet that with the philosophy of our GM, it would be with either a short term contract for a veteran that is worse than JJ, or he will go into the draft with the idea to get another CB.

An overpay is to sign him at a top-of-the-market price. Paying him like he is the 10th-20th best CB in the league, with a contract organized so that the team can easily move him if he underperforms, is the correct move by my estimation. Keep the CB room strong as it stands and focus on the positions that will compliment them and make them better (Pass rushers, FS, and more pass rushers!)

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
Who is his replacement?
Gordon, Smith, or Blackwell.....Bears need guys who make big plays when it matters....JJ hasn't done it and I'm not talking stats.....Situational big plays in crucial moments...that's what wins football games....

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel about the same as I did with smith. Either way I didn’t care. Both are very good players at their positions but no where close to top in the league. Roquan is a lot closer than Johnson, you get my point. Letting smith go in hindsight was a mistake, but at the time I was either way.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Bland just nailed down his 5th pick six.

NFL single season record…

flabear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando Magic
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tampa Bay Lightning
  1. Alabama Crimson Tide
not so sure about the drop off.......Gordon can step in and then find a new "Nickel".....I think da Bears have the talent at the Corner.......try to keep JJ, BUT, after that last game, if I were Poles, there's definitely a drop in the Offer Sheet.....nothing near $20 mil......maybe 15 tops and that's up for debate. But it's not my money to give.
T Smith has also looked good for a rookie, he almost took TStevensons job. Sign him to a fair contract upper middle, not top ten contract or let him walk

Nelly

Liked Posts:
He's certainly making a hell of a case for himself.

Frigidus

Liked Posts:
He's going to keep catching those 4th down INTs he should bat down until they pay him.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
He's going to keep catching those 4th down INTs he should bat down until they pay him.

I still can't figure out why professional football players intercept deep passes on fourth down. They did it twice today. I remember in sixth grade playing flag football I swatted down a fourth down easy interception because it was a long pass. Like, that's 12 year old basics guys...

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
I still can't figure out why professional football players intercept deep passes on fourth down. They did it twice today. I remember in sixth grade playing flag football I swatted down a fourth down easy interception because it was a long pass. Like, that's 12 year old basics guys...
Pad their numbers for ammo to use in contract negociations.....

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I mean he did return it for more yards though… of course the penalty negated that.

People are always gonna find some little thing to bitch about.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
I mean he did return it for more yards though… of course the penalty negated that.

People are always gonna find some little thing to bitch about.

Did he get passed the los? I was thinking he didn't quite before the fine. I understand that sometimes It's hard to tell on the fly how many yards you can get on a return. I'm not really bitching about Johnson, it's just something I see a lot that makes no sense.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
It’s instinct to intercept it and not bat it down. Plus, there is always the chance that the defender can get a long return out of it after the INT.

Even if I did have a problem with him intercepting it, it would be ranked like 99 out of a 100 things that concern me about the team.

That said, he’s a solid cover corner. Not an elite one, imo. He has played well (esp against the Lions) this year. Definitely want to keep him if the contract is reasonable.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Did you have a chance to make 17-20m a year based on Ints. If so you probably would not swat the ball down in 6th grade.