Does Jaylon Johnson’s deserve to get paid top-of-the-market money?

The Galloping Ghost

Liked Posts:
When will you realize that he is not a top flight cover corner. He is a slightly above average corner and should be offered accordingly.

Oh, and Walter Payton wasn't the Galloping ghost.

Uh, yeah, no shit. And?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Lol, I didnt say they shouldn't retain him. They should, just that poles played this perfectly thus far.

Toss the transition tag on him and let the market dictate his worth. I heavily doubt some team will offer him top 5 money, which he was trending towards at the deadline.
Ahh, I see that you mean to let the transition tag be a vehicle to give the Bears the right to sign him to a deal he negotiated with another team.

I still say that the best thing to do is offer him a deal that makes him want to stay here, and not give him reason to look at how he would look in another team's colors. But yeah, right now this team is financially healthy, and I like offering 3 year contracts to young players so they have room in the future to get another pay day, without saddling the team with a bad contract going on too long.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears are rebuilding now in part because Pace massively overpaid a db who flashed in a contract year and did jack shit afterwards. The market is what it is; make a fair offer and if someone wants to give him six years at $22 mil per then wave goodbye.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
He’s a solid cover cb. Very good, not elite. As has been discussed, while he is extremely good in coverage, he is lacking in the turnover department.

He dropped 2 pretty easy interceptions last game. Elite cbs make those plays. He wants to be paid like an elite cb? He should play like one.

That said, he is worth retaining if it can be done at a reasonable cost.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
It's funny how people only focus on the missed INT but don't seem to talk about how he did his job and read the play and made the play. The INT or even pick 6 would of been great but he still did his job. I've seen many CB's (even the top CB's) miss those type of INT's because they see a pick 6/end zone before they catch the ball and end up not making the catch.
Jurko described it perfectly in post game. A good corner breaks up the pass. A great corner intercepts it.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
The more I look at this team and the players, the more I think Johnson might not be worth the money. Yes, there will be a drop off if he goes. But star players get star money, and while he is a very good cover corner, he just is missing that element that gets the big players paid the big money. He's like the Matt Forte of Cornerbacks...
not so sure about the drop off.......Gordon can step in and then find a new "Nickel".....I think da Bears have the talent at the Corner.......try to keep JJ, BUT, after that last game, if I were Poles, there's definitely a drop in the Offer Sheet.....nothing near $20 mil......maybe 15 tops and that's up for debate. But it's not my money to give.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
It's funny how people only focus on the missed INT but don't seem to talk about how he did his job and read the play and made the play. The INT or even pick 6 would of been great but he still did his job. I've seen many CB's (even the top CB's) miss those type of INT's because they see a pick 6/end zone before they catch the ball and end up not making the catch.
Its not just the missed INT........it's the fact it would have been a 'back breaker' for the Lions.....that would have been a 14 pt. turn around and probably 'sealed the deal' for the W.....it's not the play per se....it was the situation of the play.........as I have stated a few times in earlier posts......losing teams are full of players who ALMOST make the play. Da Bears need guys who MAKE those plays, NOT ALMOST make them. I would like to see JJ stay, but not so much after the Lion game.

UChiLAbear

"The Drop"
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. UCLA Bruins
After Edge Rushers, Corners are the 2nd most important position on D...(not up for discussion w/me, but thank you anyway) When Poles started his draft history w/a Corner, I immediately jumped on his 'Band Wagon.' I knew that he knew. Drafting the number of Corners in his 2 drafts, looks pretty good right now imo.....Poles definitely has the 'upper hand' in negotiations w/JJ. Now, replacing EJ is the next step. I was a big fan of his but he and Whitehair I say, 'thank you for your services, however, they are no longer needed." I heard on some Bears talk show, the other day, (can't remember which one) but the person said that da Bears may put Stevenson at FS next year. Anyone else hear anything to that effect?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
He’s a solid cover cb. Very good, not elite. As has been discussed, while he is extremely good in coverage, he is lacking in the turnover department.

He dropped 2 pretty easy interceptions last game. Elite cbs make those plays. He wants to be paid like an elite cb? He should play like one.

Almost traded to Steelers before trade deadline and 1 reason given for the trade not being completed was Steelers were turned off by how high his expected contract was. I'm pretty sure JJ has his sights set on a pretty big contract.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
After a game with an atrocious PI and 2 dropped pick 6’s? If a short career thus far as an CB1 where INTs have been scarce in terms of his stats? Absolutely not.

Id go 4 years, 60-70 mil. Guarantee a little over half and front load it. A corner franchise tag was 15.79 mil this past year, so I’d probably tag him if he turned that down.

If he wants 20+ mil, then adios.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Almost traded to Steelers before trade deadline and 1 reason given for the trade not being completed was Steelers were turned off by how high his expected contract was. I'm pretty sure JJ has his sights set on a pretty big contract.
And I will wish him the best as he tries out FA.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Jurko described it perfectly in post game. A good corner breaks up the pass. A great corner intercepts it.
Do you think i can find video clips of great CB's dropping would be INT's?? I'd bet you i could and could find multiple of most of them.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Nope. While good, he is replaceable. Now Devon Witherspoon is shut down corner

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I obviously watched the whole game but can't remember the other easy INT he dropped. Any way you can dig up a clip of that for me??

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
After Edge Rushers, Corners are the 2nd most important position on D...(not up for discussion w/me, but thank you anyway) When Poles started his draft history w/a Corner, I immediately jumped on his 'Band Wagon.' I knew that he knew. Drafting the number of Corners in his 2 drafts, looks pretty good right now imo.....Poles definitely has the 'upper hand' in negotiations w/JJ. Now, replacing EJ is the next step. I was a big fan of his but he and Whitehair I say, 'thank you for your services, however, they are no longer needed." I heard on some Bears talk show, the other day, (can't remember which one) but the person said that da Bears may put Stevenson at FS next year. Anyone else hear anything to that effect?
Don't forget 3T and another DE as well.

CB--If we don't re-sign JJ
FS--Definitely needed cause EJ needs to be gone.
DE
3T

Defense is now good.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
He isn't getting it. I'm going to $17 mil per for JJ and that's it.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I think transition tag makes a lot of sense. Hes probably going to get a "better contract than he deserves" because NFL contracts have so much going into them beyond just how good a player is. And for Jaylon the timing and circumstances are all in his favor - Bears have a ton of cap and probably not a lot else to spend it on, unless they do something like getting a vet CB back in a tradedown from one of their FRPs theres not a lot of alternatives to Jaylon in FA this offseason. Heres the list: 2024 NFL Free Agents Tracker

Jaylon looks like the best CB on there while being one of the youngest, so someones going to give him an inflated contract. Same thing is going to happen with Jeff Okudah.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I obviously watched the whole game but can't remember the other easy INT he dropped. Any way you can dig up a clip of that for me??
It was a short pass. Not a simple one, but definitely one a top cb should make.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The last game was nowhere near like top / elite db's play, missed interception, costly PI call, etc.
No, he never was.

He does deserve a middle of the pack type money though.