Duncan Keith - Norris Trophy Lock?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Forklift" data-cid="224331" data-time="1395852650">
<div>

Leetch is the best comparison, to me anyway - Keith is more physical, Leetch made crisper passes. Neither could shoot worth a damn. But both could cover the entire damn rink. And they could look over to their right and see the same guy for a long time - Beukeboom for Leetch, Seabrook for Keith.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

To be fair though, when Keith let that shot rip like a fart in a phonebooth last night, it was a thing of beauty.</p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Karlsson has had a great offensive year, but he's viewed as more of a 4th forward on the ice. Keith plays tough minutes and against the other teams top line. PK and all.

Forklift

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="224348" data-time="1395862373">
<div>

Karlsson has had a great offensive year, but he's viewed as more of a 4th forward on the ice. Keith plays tough minutes and against the other teams top line. PK and all.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Don't tell anybody until after the voting is over, but Hjalmarsson/Oduya has tougher QualComm numbers than Keith/Seabrook this year.</p>

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
Team goes as Keith goes in my opinion. I know some think its Toews, some think it's Kane. But in my humble opinion I think it's Keith that's the most important cog in the overall machine. I know that's unfair to say in a team sport and  with regards to a team that's based on chemistry and balance of talents and skills. However when Keith is playing at his best this team seems to come out on the positives, when he's off his game the team seems to struggle a bit more. I think that says a lot about the system Q implements and who leads it. That's Duncs in my opinion.</p>

</p>

With that said not only do I think Keith is the top Norris candidate but he is also well deserving of a Hart nomination also in my opinion. He's the best blueliner in the league. Yah I said it.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don Cherry think Seabrook can get a nomination. Same amount of goals and a better +/-.

Keith wouldn't be where he is now without having Seabrook as a D partner for so many years.

the canadian dream

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WickedWrister" data-cid="224371" data-time="1395868348">
<div>

Don Cherry think Seabrook can get a nomination. Same amount of goals and a better +/-.

Keith wouldn't be where he is now without having Seabrook as a D partner for so many years.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

And that doesn't apply to Seabrook in vice versa? </p>

</p>

I love Seabs but I honestly think Seabrook gains more from playing with Keith than the other way around. There is no question the two make up one of if not the best defensive pairings in the NHL. But Keith just has that bit more overall skill to his game. Mainly the skating skills which will trump anything in this era of the NHL. Both are highly important pieces to the overall team but I do think Seabs has had a lot more to gain from playing with Keith over the years than the other way around. With that said I highly doubt either come close to the levels they have to this point without each other and without playing with another sound partner if they were on other teams.</p>

</p>

And the Hawks system fits both of them perfectly. I'll defend Seabs on other things till the cows come home though ie getting more PP time and more offensive chances than what Q allows. A part of his game which I think is extremely under utilized at times. I also think Keith is better defensively than some think. He isn't just all about the transition game. Keith is a boss behind the blueline at times.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Forklift" data-cid="224365" data-time="1395867481">
<div>

Don't tell anybody until after the voting is over, but Hjalmarsson/Oduya has tougher QualComm numbers than Keith/Seabrook this year.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Doesn't surprise me.  I think in overall being defensively responsible Hammer and Oduya have definitly proved world calls in that respect as being paired together, but Keith and Seabs definitly have more offensive potency.</p>

</p>

...and more own-goals this year.</p>

</p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="The Canadian Dreamalchuk" data-cid="224369" data-time="1395868091">
<div>

Team goes as Keith goes in my opinion. I know some think its Toews, some think it's Kane. But in my humble opinion I think it's Keith that's the most important cog in the overall machine. I know that's unfair to say in a team sport and  with regards to a team that's based on chemistry and balance of talents and skills. However when Keith is playing at his best this team seems to come out on the positives, when he's off his game the team seems to struggle a bit more. I think that says a lot about the system Q implements and who leads it. That's Duncs in my opinion.</p>

</p>

With that said not only do I think Keith is the top Norris candidate but he is also well deserving of a Hart nomination also in my opinion. He's the best blueliner in the league. Yah I said it.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I can partially agree with that on a technicality.  The thing about Toews and Kane are that if either slumps or is out of comission, the team has the other to lean on, and if both slump or are out of comission, you have Sharp and Hossa right behind them--not to mention Saad a bit further back, as well as Shaw.</p>

</p>

Keith, on the other hand, if he goes cold or is out of commission, the rabbit hole doesn't go nearly as deep.  Leddy may have his transition game and Hammer might have his defensive prowess, but we don't really have a Hjallmy/Leddarmarson hybrid in the line up that occupies a single slot to play opposite of Seabs, much less other players that can soak up minutes below our top-4 as yet.</p>

</p>

2011 exposed that with Keith having one of his worst years, and also him playing a lot because down the depth chart there was no one to soak up his extra minutes.  2012 it was too little too late for Oduya, and we saw the complete clusterfucks of Leddy with a Lefty and eith with a Lefty. </p>

</p>

2010 and 2013 were similar in a few ways.  Hammer/Campbell and Hammer/Oduya could soak up minutes so Keith and Seabs weren't run into the ground like Reality TV, and they had a stable (albeit quite different in their game types) presence on the bottom pairing in Sopel and Leddy.</p>

</p>

In the in-between years, we just didn't have the depth to mitigate the natural fluctiations in Keith's play.  Hell, this year when Keith & Seabs were off to a slow start Hammer and Oduya really stepped up until Keith & Seabs got going. </p>

</p>

As such, yeah, the team comes and goes on Keith, but only really because we're not as deep on defense as we are at forward--but we came up big in 2010 and 2013 because we had enough depth that Keith wasn't overplayed.</p>

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WickedWrister" data-cid="224371" data-time="1395868348">
<div>

Keith wouldn't be where he is now without having Seabrook as a D partner for so many years.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

While that should probably be the case I don't see it happening, and to boot you can usually say the same thing for the other Norris contenders. </p>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="PSR" data-cid="224400" data-time="1395876216">

While that should probably be the case I don't see it happening, and to boot you can usually say the same thing for the other Norris contenders.</p>
</blockquote>

Ya I agree... but it's a fun point to argue back and forth.  Next you're gonna see a defense award like the Jennings trophy.</p>

</p>

Seabrook rules though... would be sweet if somehow they both got nominated.</p>

</p>

God we are so fuckin spoiled in this town nowadays with hockey talent.</p>

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Grimsäväinen" data-cid="224408" data-time="1395891700">
<div>

Ya I agree... but it's a fun point to argue back and forth.  Next you're gonna see a defense award like the Jennings trophy.</p>

</p>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Ain't no lie. I just try to sponge it all in.</p>

I was a diehard fan through the 90's and early 2000's (like most of yous) when things were grim. I have to pinch myself seeing this team the last few years after watching so many crap teams year after year.</p>

What a pleasure it is watching them the last 5 years.</p>

cplmac

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't want to have to choose between Keith and Seabs any year but this one in particular is really close, but I will say that without question they should both be on the ballot.   The fact that Seabrook is legitimately in the top 5 defensemen in the league makes team Canada's snub all the more disgusting.   Fuck Yzerman right in his red army shitter.</p>

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Grimsäväinen" data-cid="224408" data-time="1395891700">
<div>

</p>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Maybe it'll be called the Two and Seven trophy....for a defensive pair that embodies what is needed for success on the back end. </p>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="PSR" data-cid="224436" data-time="1395931014">

Maybe it'll be called the Two and Seven trophy....for a defensive pair that embodies what is needed for success on the back end.</p></blockquote>
2 7 trophy could just be a bronze bust of a guy with an afro.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Shouldn't Keith and Seabrook be common law wed by now or something?</p>

tvltre

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="MassHavoc" data-cid="224456" data-time="1395935109">
<div>

Shouldn't Keith and Seabrook be common law wed by now or something?</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Funny how these guys are still thought of as young pilars of this team, yet have been here since 2005-2006.  </p>

</p>

This is one heck of a pair that are great together!  It has been a pleasure watching them since their rookie year!</p>

Forklift

Liked Posts:
Probably the only pair better in team history was Pilote/Vasko. That was a situation where you actually had two guys finish top 5 in Norris voting in 64 and 65, with Pilote winning both times.</p>

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="tvltre" data-cid="224459" data-time="1395935720">
<div>

Funny how these guys are still thought of as young pilars of this team, yet have been here since 2005-2006.  </p>

</p>

This is one heck of a pair that are great together!  It has been a pleasure watching them since their rookie year!</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

It sure has. Seabrook was such a solid Defenseman right from the start, there rookie year numbers:</p>

</p>

<span>7</span>

D

BRENT SEABROOK

<span>2</span>

D

DUNCAN KEITH

</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="PSR" data-cid="224565" data-time="1396039424">
<div>

It sure has. Seabrook was such a solid Defenseman right from the start, there rookie year numbers:</p>

</p>
<span>7</span> D BRENT SEABROOK 69 5 27 32 5 <span>2</span> D DUNCAN KEITH 81 9 12 21

</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I'm surprised Seabs was + in those years.</p>

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="LordKOTL" data-cid="224568" data-time="1396040898">
<div>

I'm surprised Seabs was + in those years.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Yea, he was a very mature rookie from what I remember. Keith who is older definitely needed more work, but that came with the style of his play, not much to work with as an offensive D-man though. Probably would have been much more like Leddy's rookie year if he had anything but the ABC line, Hilbert, Jim Dowd and Barnaby...</p>