Duncan Keith - Norris Trophy Lock?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
From what I saw he looked good.  Back then you couldn't get video on the interwebs of games.</p>

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="LordKOTL" data-cid="224571" data-time="1396042708">
<div>

From what I saw he looked good.  Back then you couldn't get video on the interwebs of games.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

No you couldn't. I recall a pretty tentative amount of excitement. Yes we knew they were good, but great? That was a huge pipe dream, and with the entire franchise SO FAR away from being a true contender talking about them being a playoff team was almost ludicrous. </p>

</p>

Looking back it really is crazy to think about, we now know these guys are great, without a shadow of a doubt.</p>

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
-4 last night, not a Norris candidate performance by any stretch.    </p>

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Everyone has an off night.

As Foley said last night (can't believe I'm agreeing with his drunken rambling), Karlsson doesn't even play the PK. What does that tell you about his defensive play?

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="224633" data-time="1396149321">

As Foley said last night (can't believe I'm agreeing with his drunken rambling), Karlsson doesn't even play the PK. What does that tell you about his defensive play?</p></blockquote>
LMFAO dude I was cracking up at the constant passive aggressive comments Foley was making about Karlsson all night.

cplmac

Liked Posts:
It's a 3 horse race between Keith, Pietrangelo and Seabrook. Period. Any other considerations only devalue the trophy.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
Seabrook shouldn't even be in the conversation.

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Pez68" data-cid="224665" data-time="1396231990">
<div>

Seabrook shouldn't even be in the conversation.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

No kidding.  </p>

</p>

He's been especially awful lately</p>

Forklift

Liked Posts:
Seabrook has been up and down all year, but he's been an absolute dumpster fire lately.

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="puckjim" data-cid="224681" data-time="1396269882">
<div>

No kidding.  </p>

</p>

He's been especially awful lately</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I counted three 2 on 1's that he was directly responsible for last night because of poor decisions in pinching. Another play Keith skated all the way across the ice to pressure the puck carrier because Seabrook just kept drifting away from him and towards Keith. Not to mention having Crosby lined up and dead to rights behind the net last night, after Toews was destroyed, and not even ATTEMPTING to hit him. </p>

</p>

He's been awful lately, and that's being kind. He's also been a fucking cream puff physically. It would be one thing if he was getting caught up ice because he's laying a big hit, but it's mostly because he's falling down or making TERRIBLE pinches.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Trev" data-cid="224633" data-time="1396149321">
<div>

As Foley said last night (can't believe I'm agreeing with his drunken rambling), Karlsson doesn't even play the PK. What does that tell you about his defensive play?</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Then, as fans (and not directly at you), the allowable off night should be applied equally among everyone, not just a plausible Norris canditate/previous winner who played like a partial-birth abortion.</p>

</p>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Pez68" data-cid="224700" data-time="1396288382">
<div>

I counted three 2 on 1's that he was directly responsible for last night because of poor decisions in pinching. Another play Keith skated all the way across the ice to pressure the puck carrier because Seabrook just kept drifting away from him and towards Keith. Not to mention having Crosby lined up and dead to rights behind the net last night, after Toews was destroyed, and not even ATTEMPTING to hit him. </p>

</p>

He's been awful lately, and that's being kind. He's also been a fucking cream puff physically. It would be one thing if he was getting caught up ice because he's laying a big hit, but it's mostly because he's falling down or making TERRIBLE pinches.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

My gut tells me that the reason no one lined up Crosby was that (a) there was a reasonable chance to win the game after Toews went down and (b) Q remember what happen when Bollig tried to make Torres pay for Hossa.  As long as there was a chance to win any retribution would have tanked it--especially against Gary Bettman's Wet-dream team.</p>

Pez68

Fire Quenneville
Liked Posts:
So don't throw a legal check on the puck carrier when you have him lined up? Come on. They were less physical than the woman's USA hockey team last night, and they aren't even allowed to check. There is zero excuse for Seabrook not hitting him in that situation. None.</p>

</p>

Q has this team neutered and it's fucking embarrassing. If I'm Toews and I get hit like that, and then watch my team curl up into the fetal position afterwards with absolutely no push back, I'm thinking long and hard about my long term commitment to this organization.</p>

</p>

If that was Crosby that got hit like that, there would have been a fucking line brawl.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Pez68" data-cid="224702" data-time="1396289875">
<div>

So don't throw a legal check on the puck carrier when you have him lined up? Come on. They were less physical than the woman's USA hockey team last night, and they aren't even allowed to check. There is zero excuse for Seabrook not hitting him in that situation. None.</p>

</p>

Q has this team neutered and it's fucking embarrassing. If I'm Toews and I get hit like that, and then watch my team curl up into the fetal position afterwards with absolutely no push back, I'm thinking long and hard about my long term commitment to this organization.</p>

</p>

If that was Crosby that got hit like that, there would have been a fucking line brawl.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

I do think that Q either reigned them in too muc or they erred too cautiously, but really, after that hit you know, as well as I do, that anything that remotely looked like retribution against anyone on the pens was going to be called and the book thrown at the player--no matter how clean or legal it was.  We're talking about Gary Bettman's we-dream team here.  If Keith gets 5 against Mary-Kate Sedin, Seabs would have been gone for the duration if he so much farted on Crosby.</p>

</p>

Personally though, after the 3rd goal I wished Brookbank woulsd have leaned into the strike zone and ran someone hard...I mean HARD.  After that oint the game was not reasonably winable so you might as well put someone in the bench.</p>

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Pez68" data-cid="224700" data-time="1396288382">
<div>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

Yet we'll be constantly reminded by Pat Foley and others how great he is because of his +/- stat.</p>

</p>

He goes through these awful streaks....Always has.</p>

BigPete

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Pez68" data-cid="224702" data-time="1396289875">
<div>

</p>

Q has this team neutered and it's fucking embarrassing.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

</p>

You should have stopped there.  Don't blame anyone but the coach.  This group of players follows orders because they know that if they don't, the coach will bench them indefinitely...even if they are a ten year vet, leading scorer, and two time Cup winner.</p>

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
<div>

</p>

</p>

</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

While I agree with most of your points, lets not get out of hand. The surrounding team is what will cause him to stay, also if it were a factor the Hawks would have their players play that way. There has clearly been a message sent to players to not goon it up, no matter what the circumstance. </p>

Forklift

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="cplmac" data-cid="224648" data-time="1396210551">
<div>

It's a 3 horse race between Keith, Pietrangelo and Seabrook. Period. Any other considerations only devalue the trophy.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I'm assuming your autocorrect changed "Shea Weber" to "Seabrook".</p>

puckjim

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="PSR" data-cid="224907" data-time="1396475828">
<div>

While I agree with most of your points, lets not get out of hand. The surrounding team is what will cause him to stay, also if it were a factor the Hawks would have their players play that way. There has clearly been a message sent to players to not goon it up, no matter what the circumstance. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

And the oodles of cash that he can earn in salary and promotional opportunities.</p>

</p>

Toews (and Kane) will get at least $9 million per year on their next contract.</p>

</p>

There are very few markets as lucrative as Chicago.</p>

Forklift

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="puckjim" data-cid="225260" data-time="1397048621">
<div>

And the oodles of cash that he can earn in salary and promotional opportunities.</p>

</p>

Toews (and Kane) will get at least $9 million per year on their next contract.</p>

</p>

There are very few markets as lucrative as Chicago.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Not to mention - using $9 million/per as your baseline - keeping both players requires the Hawks to have $6 million in cap space over their current available amount. Any other team needs to clear $9 million just to get one.</p>

</p>

Also, let's call this a hunch...these guys probably like winning Stanley Cups. I mean, they'd be the Toast of the Town wherever they play, but Chicago is a pretty damn good town to get toasted in.</p>

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Forklift" data-cid="225262" data-time="1397054975">
<div>

Not to mention - using $9 million/per as your baseline - keeping both players requires the Hawks to have $6 million in cap space over their current available amount. Any other team needs to clear $9 million just to get one.</p>

</p>

Also, let's call this a hunch...these guys probably like winning Stanley Cups. I mean, they'd be the Toast of the Town wherever they play, but Chicago is a pretty damn good town to get toasted in.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

Less, actually. Toews & Kane make $6.3M.  The amount of capspace needed might be as low as 5.4M--just to reinforce your point :) That extra .6M might help with whomever fills in depth-wise.</p>