Duncan Keith Receives 5-Game Suspension

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Got to outlaw fighting if you want the league to put punches to the head in the head shot rules. It is just that simple.

In the NBA where fighting is outlawed; even a swing without landing gets you suspended.

Rather not pussify the league anymore.

The NBA is different with gangs and shit... and no I'm not being racist. There is a CODE for fighting in the NHL... NBA nothing close. Bad example.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree Grims..but you can't ask for punches to the head to fall under the head shot rules if you don't want fighting outlawed.

Not advocating for it but this is why fighting is eventually going to be outlawed in the game...can't have it both ways.

PatrickShart

Liked Posts:
No problem with the Wings....with Kronwell and Bertuzzi? They'll ALWAYS be protected by Shanahan. Granted, he suspended Brendan Smith - a minor leaguer - but would he suspend Kronwall for any of his boarderline hits?

Vancouver will sit Sedin until the playoffs - they have nothing to play for until then. It's rest for game 1.

I think he should have gotten suspended. 3 would have been a strong message for a first time offender. Ovechkin - a multiple offender - his one before the all star game was 3 games. How many times has Kronwall launched himself into a hit? His hit on Voracek....Kessler...Havlat....when is a head shot a head shot? He is - and never will be - suspended. His past with Detroit, Holland.....will never ever suspend one of their own that matters.

This was very harsh for a first time offender.

I understand Keith targeted, and landed a definite head shot. Owned up to it. 3 games should have been the max.

I wonder what the suspension would have been if this was a playoff series? Would Sedin be "as concussed"?

Oh well....6th is where I want them to finish anyways. Let DET play Nashville first round

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
Sedin will be back next week is my guess. I dont know much about concussions is it common to suffer from jaw pains because thats what daneil has been favoring. I suppose thats common.

no, no it is not.

Pez68

Fire Waldron
Liked Posts:
Got to outlaw fighting if you want the league to put punches to the head in the head shot rules. It is just that simple.

In the NBA where fighting is outlawed; even a swing without landing gets you suspended.

No, you don't. Fights are almost always two willing combatants going at it and dropping their gloves. That isn't what they are talking about. I'm trying to figure out when punching somebody in the head with your gloves on became acceptable. Because it sure as fuck is now. For fuck's sake, guys get penalties more often for face washes than jacking somebody in the head with their gloves on...

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
No, you don't. Fights are almost always two willing combatants going at it and dropping their gloves. That isn't what they are talking about. I'm trying to figure out when punching somebody in the head with your gloves on became acceptable. Because it sure as fuck is now. For fuck's sake, guys get penalties more often for face washes than jacking somebody in the head with their gloves on...

I don't remember Thornton getting any penalties for boxing out Toews.

bierboy

Liked Posts:
Sedin will be back next week is my guess. I dont know much about concussions is it common to suffer from jaw pains because thats what daneil has been favoring. I suppose thats common....

That's from so many BJs....

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
my concussion gave me a lot of NECK pain (whiplash like feeling) but never my jaw.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The NBA is different with gangs and shit... and no I'm not being racist. There is a CODE for fighting in the NHL... NBA nothing close. Bad example.

When the NBA cracked down on fighting 30+ years ago, it had nothing to do with gangs because in the 80's the so called gang life had not infiltrated the NBA. It was definitely a black thing (perception) back then and it was still probably about 30 to 40% whites in the league.

It's a perception problem with players emptying the benches to fight it's not a gang problem...maybe a gang of people acting like fools but it was no different than the NHL stopping the line brawls and bench emptying back in the 80's because it was a perception problem that made the league look bad when a gang of people jumped the boards to join a fight. The only difference with the NHL, the powers to be did not want to outlaw fighting all together so they put limitations on it and said no more gang fights just like the NBA..so my analogy using the NBA fits perfectly.

I do not want to see fighting end in the NHL either but don't tell me it is different than the NBA...the only thing that make it different than the NBA is color, so don't tell me how it is okay for white men to fight but it is not okay for black men to fight....just plainly not fair!

Bottom line, even though you were not being a racist from your heart...the statement is racial but not on purpose so I hold no strike against you.

R K

That's exactly what I was talking about. Fighting is one thing, walking up to another player and punchng them in the head, unexpected is a completely other. That's what I was referring too.

Burrows punched Kane square in the head with his glove on while they were standing there. It was not a fight, Kane was not ready for it. It was a cheap fucking shot to the head. Same thing Thornton did to Toews, only Thorntons was to the BACK of Toews head. Where concussions seem to happen more often, the back of the head.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's exactly what I was talking about. Fighting is one thing, walking up to another player and punchng them in the head, unexpected is a completely other. That's what I was referring too.

Burrows punched Kane square in the head with his glove on while they were standing there. It was not a fight, Kane was not ready for it. It was a cheap fucking shot to the head. Same thing Thornton did to Toews, only Thorntons was to the BACK of Toews head. Where concussions seem to happen more often, the back of the head.

All I am saying...the NHL can't include punching to the head to the head shot rules because they then would have to outlaw fighting.

It does not matter if Burrows had his gloves on or if Thornton hit someone in the back of the head; those two should have been given roughing penalties...but those punches cannot and will not fall under the head shot rules.

If a guy is skating down the rink at full speed and Thornton gives him a close line punch to the head...different story, then I would support a punch to the head under the head shot rule but not if it is during a kerfuffle...better protect yourself!

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
5-games is pretty much in line on what the latest rulings have been. The blatant nature of Keith's elbow is what pushed it past the repeat offence status of Doan. Both Sedin and Keith learn a lesson, Sedin learnt that you don't cheapshot Keith and Keith learnt not to be so blatant in your retaliation. Unless the league and the officials take this shit out of the game, players are going to do this dumb shit when they feel that justice hasn't been served.

If the Hawks can manage to do well for the next 5 games without their captain and #1 D-man, they can do serious damage with both back in the line-up. And I see no reason why they couldn't manage it. It will only build character and add to their confidence.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
5-games is pretty much in line on what the latest rulings have been. The blatant nature of Keith's elbow is what pushed it past the repeat offence status of Doan. Both Sedin and Keith learn a lesson, Sedin learnt that you don't cheapshot Keith and Keith learnt not to be so blatant in your retaliation. Unless the league and the officials take this shit out of the game, players are going to do this dumb shit when they feel that justice hasn't been served.

If the Hawks can manage to do well for the next 5 games without their captain and #1 D-man, they can do serious damage with both back in the line-up. And I see no reason why they couldn't manage it. It will only build character and add to their confidence.

I kind of agree but at the same time think it should have been 3 to make up for the no-call on Sedins earlier hit.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When the NBA cracked down on fighting 30+ years ago, it had nothing to do with gangs because in the 80's the so called gang life had not infiltrated the NBA. It was definitely a black thing (perception) back then and it was still probably about 30 to 40% whites in the league.

Yup back when the NBA was cracking down on fighting the league had teams with many white star players on their team, and not token whites as they do now and there was definitely no "thug" image with the players....how can you be thug when you have to tuck your jersey top into your nuck hugging shorts?

But the NBA is a different sport entirely with enough no padded physical contact that there is no need for fighting to get back at someone. Cartwright and Laimbeer were pros at it.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As far as Keith goes, I am somewhat suprised that it was 5 games but expected it to go that high. Keith's elbow just looked premediated which played into the decision beyond the injury to D Sedin. I think that because it was a star targeted that added to the count as well....but then again, when a star has to retaliate against a star from said star being hit high, that means those that showed be answering those calls stepped away (or right it was the Canucks).

It sucks, but at least it is during the regular season and not the playoffs. Sure it might have an impact on the Hawks standings, but they are 8 points from being our of the playoffs and 1 point from 4th...all that with 7 games left to play. I think they can overcome this based on their play of late, and I think Keith's relatiation also lit a strong fire based on how they played the rest of the game.

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup back when the NBA was cracking down on fighting the league had teams with many white star players on their team, and not token whites as they do now and there was definitely no "thug" image with the players....how can you be thug when you have to tuck your jersey top into your nuck hugging shorts?

But the NBA is a different sport entirely with enough no padded physical contact that there is no need for fighting to get back at someone. Cartwright and Laimbeer were pros at it.

Didn't want to beat Grims up on the issue because part of his statement is somewhat true when looking at the players today in the NBA but it is societal too in all realms of life when it comes to thug life in my community (I say my community even tho I am not really there) things are not the same as it was in the 80's.

I truly understood his point, I just wanted to put it in better perspective.

R K

All I am saying...the NHL can't include punching to the head to the head shot rules because they then would have to outlaw fighting.

It does not matter if Burrows had his gloves on or if Thornton hit someone in the back of the head; those two should have been given roughing penalties...but those punches cannot and will not fall under the head shot rules.

If a guy is skating down the rink at full speed and Thornton gives him a close line punch to the head...different story, then I would support a punch to the head under the head shot rule but not if it is during a kerfuffle...better protect yourself!

No you wouldn't. It's not the fighting we are talking about. Burrows was given a roughing penalty. It was a shot to the head, NOT in a fight.

You ever take a punch to the head on from a glove? They "drop the gloves" in a fight.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't want to beat Grims up on the issue because part of his statement is somewhat true when looking at the players today in the NBA but it is societal too in all realms of life when it comes to thug life in my community (I say my community even tho I not really there) things are not the same as it was in the 80's.

I truly understood his point, I just wanted to put it in better perspective.

That is why my comment was more on the sarcastic side. Not to go to far off topic, but it is good that the NBA also has tried to make their players look professional again when off the court. Does not matter where they came from, but just making that adjustment has made the league image change for the better because I think some of those players do indeed change from it.

R K

As far as Keith goes, I am somewhat suprised that it was 5 games but expected it to go that high. Keith's elbow just looked premediated which played into the decision beyond the injury to D Sedin. I think that because it was a star targeted that added to the count as well....but then again, when a star has to retaliate against a star from said star being hit high, that means those that showed be answering those calls stepped away (or right it was the Canucks).

It sucks, but at least it is during the regular season and not the playoffs. Sure it might have an impact on the Hawks standings, but they are 8 points from being our of the playoffs and 1 point from 4th...all that with 7 games left to play. I think they can overcome this based on their play of late, and I think Keith's relatiation also lit a strong fire based on how they played the rest of the game.

Yea we were talking bout that after the game. On paper the Hawks should have had their asses handed to them. Hawks 3rd game in 4 days, 2nd half of back to back, while the "mighty" Canucks were sitting here TWO days waiting for them.

Part of why Crawford was so tested in the 3rd. Hawks had no business winning that game by the above factors, yet they did.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea we were talking bout that after the game. On paper the Hawks should have had their asses handed to them. Hawks 3rd game in 4 days, 2nd half of back to back, while the "mighty" Canucks were sitting here TWO days waiting for them.

Part of why Crawford was so tested in the 3rd. Hawks had no business winning that game by the above factors, yet they did.

Sign of a good team.......................... that won't make the playoffs. PEZ!!!!