Duncan Keith Receives 5-Game Suspension

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No you wouldn't. It's not the fighting we are talking about. Burrows was given a roughing penalty. It was a shot to the head, NOT in a fight.

You ever take a punch to the head on from a glove? They "drop the gloves" in a fight.

RK, I understand what you are saying and you understand what I am saying...we just disagree!

The league see it the same way I see it obviously...they are not going to treat punches to the head with a fist or hand under the head shot rules. The NHL is not going to play with that fine line in saying a player can be suspended for throwing a punch but at the same time we will allow players to fight and throw punches. It's common sense!

Like I said RK, I understand your point you are trying to make..but it is not going to work unless fighting is outlawed and I am with the rest of the masses, I do not want fighting to be outlawed.

BiscuitintheBasket

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yea we were talking bout that after the game. On paper the Hawks should have had their asses handed to them. Hawks 3rd game in 4 days, 2nd half of back to back, while the "mighty" Canucks were sitting here TWO days waiting for them.

Part of why Crawford was so tested in the 3rd. Hawks had no business winning that game by the above factors, yet they did.

It is amazing what determination can do. This team has it right now. Hopfully they can keep it through the middle of June.

R K

It is amazing what determination can do. This team has it right now. Hopfully they can keep it through the middle of June.

You inject JT and Montedor into the mix and who knows where they end up. I'm still holding out Hope with JT. It's encouraging he skated every day this week.

R K

RK, I understand what you are saying and you understand what I am saying...we just disagree!

The league see it the same way I see it obviously...they are not going to treat punches to the head with a fist or hand under the head shot rules. The NHL is not going to play with that fine line in saying a player can be suspended for throwing a punch but at the same time we will allow players to fight and throw punches. It's common sense!

Like I said RK, I understand your point you are trying to make..but it is not going to work unless fighting is outlawed and I am with the rest of the masses, I do not want fighting to be outlawed.

I'm saying they could do it easily without removing fighting. What Burrows did was not in the act of a fight. It was a hit to the head.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Keith got what he deserved. A deliberate head shot like the one he pulled deserved the 5 games.

Now it all comes down to why the NHL won't talk about Sedin's hit earlier or Burrows groin shots.

Shanny mentions in the video the "previous hit" by Daniel at the 1:00 minute mark, but haven't heard anything since...

R K

Keith got what he deserved. A deliberate head shot like the one he pulled deserved the 5 games.

Now it all comes down to why the NHL won't talk about Sedin's hit earlier or Burrows groin shots.

Shanny mentions in the video the "previous hit" by Daniel at the 1:00 minute mark, but haven't heard anything since...

RDS reported the NHL looked at Sedins hit and considered it Shoulder to Shoulder. Burrows played the next night in Dallas.

So that should give you an idea of where they stand.

Completely bullshit.

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:
To me this was a political decision, not a disciplinary decision. It started out as disciplinary, and given his lack of history, Dunc was looking at 2 games. Then the league was informed that Sedin’s docs diagnosed a serious concussion, and he was going to miss a lot of games. That's when it was switched from phone to in-person.

The league wanted to avoid the future embarrassment of ONLY suspending Keith two games for a deliberate vicious hit to the head that seriously concussed a Hart trophy winner and key to Canucks playoff hopes. And if Shannahan was considering tagging Sedin for the arguably equally vicious hit on Keith, that was dropped also for political reasons. It would be embarrassing to suspend a guy who is going to sit out a while with a concussion.

The Duerson lawsuit is a factor. There are going to be future lawsuits against the NHL for concussions. Its only a matter of time. You don’t want the lawyer standing up and saying, look at this for example, dude takes out a Hart trophy winner, only gets two games, and they actually discipline the guy who was concussed. Not good.

Missing Keith is huge. Although he is not in Norris form, and he drives you crazy with his wacky-ass decisions sometimes, IMHO he is arguably the most valuable player on the team. You can go 8-1-1 without Toews, but its harder to do without Keith.

-5Minutes

R K

Very well said Larry and I agree 100%. Espcially with the RDS report of "shoulder to shoulder" on Sedins hit. NO FUCKING WAY was that "shoulder to shoulder". The NHL must think either it's fans are stupid, and or they just don't really care.

Not quite sure I agree with the last part as EVERYONE has stepped up with out Toews. Arguably Kane is the most important IMO has he's brought the team with him since JT went down. Which further aggrivates me with the Burrows hit to his head!

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me this was a political decision, not a disciplinary decision. It started out as disciplinary, and given his lack of history, Dunc was looking at 2 games. Then the league was informed that Sedin’s docs diagnosed a serious concussion, and he was going to miss a lot of games. That's when it was switched from phone to in-person.

The league wanted to avoid the future embarrassment of ONLY suspending Keith two games for a deliberate vicious hit to the head that seriously concussed a Hart trophy winner and key to Canucks playoff hopes. And if Shannahan was considering tagging Sedin for the arguably equally vicious hit on Keith, that was dropped also for political reasons. It would be embarrassing to suspend a guy who is going to sit out a while with a concussion.

The Duerson lawsuit is a factor. There are going to be future lawsuits against the NHL for concussions. Its only a matter of time. You don’t want the lawyer standing up and saying, look at this for example, dude takes out a Hart trophy winner, only gets two games, and they actually discipline the guy who was concussed. Not good.

Missing Keith is huge. Although he is not in Norris form, and he drives you crazy with his wacky-ass decisions sometimes, IMHO he is arguably the most valuable player on the team. You can go 8-1-1 without Toews, but its harder to do without Keith.

-5Minutes

That has been my sentiment on the non-suspension of D. Sedin...why add insult to upper body injury.

Plus Keith took care of the suspension to D. Sedin..the only difference is; Sedin is out with pay and Keith is out without pay but no headaches.

5Minutes4Fighting

Liked Posts:
Very well said Larry and I agree 100%. Espcially with the RDS report of "shoulder to shoulder" on Sedins hit. NO FUCKING WAY was that "shoulder to shoulder". The NHL must think either it's fans are stupid, and or they just don't really care.

Not quite sure I agree with the last part as EVERYONE has stepped up with out Toews. Arguably Kane is the most important IMO has he's brought the team with him since JT went down. Which further aggrivates me with the Burrows hit to his head!

Hey Ron! Yes, Kaner has been huge, but so has Hossa and especially Sharp. Fortunately, this team has elite forwards to spare. Lots of depth there. Thats why at the TDL we were not looking for a scoring forward. Instead, the number one priority was a blue liner. Defense wins in the playoffs. Keiths minutes are huge and irreplaceable. Nobody like him on the team. Thank god we got Oduya, he is admittedly riding off the adrenaline of playing for a new team and is also playing for a contract, but he's looking like a poor man's Soupy.

-5Minutes

dlrob315

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kobe is a poor man's Michael Jordan..do you not take him?

howcho

Liked Posts:
Reading this thread, I am pretty embarrassed for most of you. You (generalizing) are all starting to sound like Canuck fans. Such whining and bitching, it's unbecoming.

Look, Keith made a stupid play and now has to do the time. He like every other guilty fuck out there, is a 'victim of circumstance'. Fuck circumstance, he did it, and now he pays.

I don't give a shit, what Doan got, what Sedin, or Burrows did not get. They will get theirs eventually.

You guys sound like these mothers, who's kids go to jail....'He is such a good boy'.... 'But he is a victim'.... 'The other guy didn't get punished the same'...

Give me a fuckin break.

This time Keith got it, and it is a fair suspension given the hit

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reading this thread, I am pretty embarrassed for most of you. You (generalizing) are all starting to sound like Canuck fans. Such whining and bitching, it's unbecoming.

Look, Keith made a stupid play and now has to do the time. He like every other guilty fuck out there, is a 'victim of circumstance'. Fuck circumstance, he did it, and now he pays.

I don't give a shit, what Doan got, what Sedin, or Burrows did not get. They will get theirs eventually.

You guys sound like these mothers, who's kids go to jail....'He is such a good boy'.... 'But he is a victim'.... 'The other guy didn't get punished the same'...

Give me a fuckin break.

I think most here would agree, but its fun to argue.

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm saying they could do it easily without removing fighting. What Burrows did was not in the act of a fight. It was a hit to the head.

It's a sucker punch. When a player drops his gloves you can expect a punch to follow. Not so when the gloves stay on.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:

Seabrook is the most important player on the team right now. Kane has stepped up big, but the same can be said for Hossa, Sharp etc. (to a lesser degree)

Take Seabs out of the game, Keith looks lost, the D gets soft. I'd rather lose Keith for 5 games than Seabs (though I'm still pissed as all hell about the 5 game suspension)

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:

Give me a fuckin break.

It is fair based on the hit if everyone else who laid a similar hit got punished the same. We aren't upset that he got suspended, nobody would argue it wasn't suspendable. We are pissed because of the inconsistencies. Doan gets 3 games for his third infraction. Bork gets 5 games for his second suspension in 2 games. Kubina gets 3 games for a worse play on Bolland last year. Keith gets five because Gillis called up Shanny and cried.

howcho

Liked Posts:
Whatever. He did it and got what he deserved.

R K

It is fair based on the hit if everyone else who laid a similar hit got punished the same. We aren't upset that he got suspended, nobody would argue it wasn't suspendable. We are pissed because of the inconsistencies. Doan gets 3 games for his third infraction. Bork gets 5 games for his second suspension in 2 games. Kubina gets 3 games for a worse play on Bolland last year. Keith gets five because Gillis called up Shanny and cried.

Exactly. I think it's more questioning the decisions, not whining. If we were like Canucks fans we'd be whining about the actual suspension, which I don't think any of us are.

I also agree on Seabrook. Makes all those bitching about his contract look even dumber. But from the time Kane stepped up his game, moved back to Center, the team has followed. Hossa, sharp.... ect ect.

R K

Whatever. He did it and got what he deserved.

It's pretty comical that the NHL said Sedins was Shoulder to Shoulder. Good thing he's out, hurt or not, because with the Canucks, not having anything to gain, would/could keep him out just the same.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
It's pretty comical that the NHL said Sedins was Shoulder to Shoulder.

I think the NHL office was forced to just copy/paste from Gillis' e-mail. There were several clerical staffers out with the sniffles and/or pms.