Dwayne Bowe: Josh McCown has potential to be a top-five quarterback

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You fucking liar. I know for a fact that you've never seen McCown play.

I have seen McCown play. And dare I use numbers to prove a point. I think he's the equivalent to Rick Mirer (Another Bear great that I also saw play).

McCown 17-32 record (.350)
Mirer 24-44 record (.352)

McCown 11,033 yards
Mirer 11,969 yards

McCown 61 TD's, 59 INT's
Mirer 50 TD's, 76 INT's

McCown 76.1 Passer Rating
Mirer 63.5 Passer Rating

McCown excels a little in rating (as do most these days) but overall, he's the same clown as Mirer.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
I have seen McCown play. And dare I use numbers to prove a point. I think he's the equivalent to Rick Mirer (Another Bear great that I also saw play).

McCown 17-32 record (.350)
Mirer 24-44 record (.352)

McCown 11,033 yards
Mirer 11,969 yards

McCown 61 TD's, 59 INT's
Mirer 50 TD's, 76 INT's

McCown 76.1 Passer Rating
Mirer 63.5 Passer Rating

McCown excels a little in rating (as do most these days) but overall, he's the same clown as Mirer.

He was just ragging on BearsFan51 for implying that I only think McCown sucks because I've "never watched him play".

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He was just ragging on BearsFan51 for implying that I only think McCown sucks because I've "never watched him play".

I get that. You can see he sucks by watching him play. Then you can provide proof with stats :) But then there is the supporting cast argument. Craig Krenzel would have been solid with a supporting cast.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It hurts you guys so much that he played THAT much better than Jay, eh?! It's always about how terrible he was in the past, yup he was, but he was god damn fantastic in that 5 game run for us Bears fans. Kept the team in the playoff hunt, thanks again Josh!

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It hurts you guys so much that he played THAT much better than Jay, eh?! It's always about how terrible he was in the past, yup he was, but he was god damn fantastic in that 5 game run for us Bears fans. Kept the team in the playoff hunt, thanks again Josh!

Yeah that's it or anyone who thinks Mccown is good is stupid. If you agree with biff I wouldn't be surprised

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
I think we can all agree that McCown hasn't been as consistent as Cutler, but has higher upside given that he had a stretch of elite play at one point.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's not here anymore. He sucked before he got here and after he left. He had a 68 rating in the 3 games he played for us before his lucky streak. This is the only stop where he didn't have more picks than TDs. His 5 game streak is the only one of 2 years where he had more TDs than INTs. His potential has past. This is like the Rex is the best QB in the league stuff after one month in 2006. He also fumbles once every 31 snaps. I bring that up because it's always, with some merit, brought up about Jay, 1 in 38. There's nothing but a short 5 game streak to indicate anything other than we kept the better player. Those than believe Jay is better are the realists. Those that think McCown is anything but a journeyman are the ones grasping at straws and no, it doesn't make Cutler any better than he is.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Imagine that, a backhanded insult from pride.

I believe it is on par with it must be about Cutler narrative that you only use when you have no real argument. Point blank Mccown is terrible, always has been and always will be

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You take this MB stuff way too seriously, that can't be healthy for you dude. Some of us are able to discuss both positive and negatives of the players or our team.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I think we can all agree that McCown hasn't been as consistent as Cutler, but has higher upside given that he had a stretch of elite play at one point.

Nope he hasn't. It's just sad to know that three games in a row McCown did something Cutler has done only six times in his career and never in back to back weeks.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Nope he hasn't. It's just sad to know that three games in a row McCown did something Cutler has done only six times in his career and never in back to back weeks.

But, that was a complete fluke- teams were letting him do good. It was one giant conspiracy!

Here is the reality.
in 2014 McCown was a semi functional player that got to start in a system that played to his strengths. Said system also had the benefit of a pretty exceptional bunch of players on the offense to help out.
Was McCown all of a sudden great? Nope. He threw accurate passes and went through his reads and made intelligent decisions and that paid dividends.
Many passers could have done what he did over that stretch, it wasnt exceptional.

What is worth noting however is that career long, Cutler falls short of career backups (or busts in the case of Plummer) in the same situations. McCown, plummer and Orton may not be top players- but they are at the very least as good as or better than Cutler.
For people to minimize what McCown did here is understandable- I believe he had a monsterously good supporting cast that was a huge part of that- but when those people minimize that, they should understand that their boy Cutler was so bad he couldnt even take advantage of his cushy situation as well as a career backup who was out of the league for a year.
The lesson from the McCown stretch is less about McCown being good, it is much more a great example of how terrible Jay has been.

McCown isn't going to be a top 5 QB this year even if the top 5 from last year suffer season ending injuries. But if both He and Cutler start all season, I would honestly expect McCown to do as well as or better than Cutler even on a new team that exemplifies the word futility.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You take this MB stuff way too seriously, that can't be healthy for you dude. Some of us are able to discuss both positive and negatives of the players or our team.

Nah. Im pretty damn healthy and not internet fit either. As far as some posters who can discuss both positive and negatives of players you are correct, some posters can do that.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
But, that was a complete fluke- teams were letting him do good. It was one giant conspiracy!

Here is the reality.
in 2014 McCown was a semi functional player that got to start in a system that played to his strengths. Said system also had the benefit of a pretty exceptional bunch of players on the offense to help out.
Was McCown all of a sudden great? Nope. He threw accurate passes and went through his reads and made intelligent decisions and that paid dividends.
Many passers could have done what he did over that stretch, it wasnt exceptional.

What is worth noting however is that career long, Cutler falls short of career backups (or busts in the case of Plummer) in the same situations. McCown, plummer and Orton may not be top players- but they are at the very least as good as or better than Cutler.
For people to minimize what McCown did here is understandable- I believe he had a monsterously good supporting cast that was a huge part of that- but when those people minimize that, they should understand that their boy Cutler was so bad he couldnt even take advantage of his cushy situation as well as a career backup who was out of the league for a year.
The lesson from the McCown stretch is less about McCown being good, it is much more a great example of how terrible Jay has been.

McCown isn't going to be a top 5 QB this year even if the top 5 from last year suffer season ending injuries. But if both He and Cutler start all season, I would honestly expect McCown to do as well as or better than Cutler even on a new team that exemplifies the word futility.

In 2014 McCown was the starter on the Bucs and like 99% of his career he was terrible. If you really want to take a five game stretch from 2013 and ignore the rest of his career you are stupid. It is really that simple. McCown had has highlight moment and now is getting paid for it, kudos to him but reality is he is a bad QB. He was bad with the Cardinals(despite if biff thinks you saw him play or not)Oakland, Detroit and the Bucs.

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Where was all this when he was in Arizona,Detroit and Oakland?
The work ethic was always there. His former teammates and coaches have raved about it, and it's why 9 teams have kept his 13 year NFL career alive, despite his lack of pure talent and athletics.
Unfortunately, work ethic alone doesn't make you a good QB, which is why he has been with 9 different teams in 13 years.
He's not terrible. You can win with him and look pretty good doing so, if you play within his limitations.
Problem is, in the NFL, that's almost impossible to get away with for 16 weeks.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
McCown is a god, just accept it; football geniuses like Biff and Mongo say so, and they're roundly respected bloggers...

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
McCown is a god, just accept it; football geniuses like Biff and Mongo say so, and they're roundly respected bloggers...

Hi dickweed.

Please show me where I said anything even remotely close to that.

I'll wait here.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Yeah, he only said McCown has POTENTIAL to be a god.