Elliott Fry has been waived

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Pineiro said it best when he had said he and Fry were paying for the sins of the Bears' past kicking woes. I think his exact quote was something like, "Kickers' past misses have already put us on thin ice." You probably don't want your kicker thinking like that. But everything the Bears did over the offseason only fueled that mindset.

I do think the Bears overthought themselves and psyched themselves out throughtout the process, but hey, maybe it'll work out. Maybe they're right.

So I suppose if getting rid of Fry and telling Pineiro, "O.K., you're the guy, at least for now. Show us what you can do," somehow helps Pineiro psychologically, I'm all for it. But I also am skeptical that such things are actually true and show real results. If Pineiro suddenly becomes a lights-out kicker from here on out, I doubt it's because they got rid of Fry on Aug. 18.

The entire offseason kicking process was placing immense pressure on the candidates whenever possible, from the "Augusta silence" to the make-it-or-run kicks, to the icing of the kicks in preseason. That was by design. Suddenly now, that mindset isn't good enough? Suddenly now, they're changing it to, "Well, we need to send a message to this guy that he's our guy for now, even though he largely hasn't earned it through performance."

Count me skeptical that anything will change performance-wise. But hey, maybe it'll work out. I hope so.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Pineiro said it best when he had said he and Fry were paying for the sins of the Bears' past kicking woes. I think his exact quote was something like, "Kickers' past misses have already put us on thin ice." You probably don't want your kicker thinking like that. But everything the Bears did over the offseason only fueled that mindset.

I do think the Bears overthought themselves and psyched themselves out throughtout the process, but hey, maybe it'll work out. Maybe they're right.

So I suppose if getting rid of Fry and telling Pineiro, "O.K., you're the guy, at least for now. Show us what you can do," somehow helps Pineiro psychologically, I'm all for it. But I also am skeptical that such things are actually true and show real results. If Pineiro suddenly becomes a lights-out kicker from here on out, I doubt it's because they got rid of Fry on Aug. 18.

The entire offseason kicking process was placing immense pressure on the candidates whenever possible, from the "Augusta silence" to the make-it-or-run kicks, to the icing of the kicks in preseason. That was by design. Suddenly now, that mindset isn't good enough? Suddenly now, they're changing it to, "Well, we need to send a message to this guy that he's our guy for now, even though he largely hasn't earned it through performance."

Count me skeptical. But hey, maybe it'll work out. I hope so.
Pineiro said after Fry was released they the pressure is still on. He knows if he doesn't make his kicks, he will be replaced. They just want to give him more game chances to prove it one way or the other...

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Pineiro said after Fry was released they the pressure is still on. He knows if he doesn't make his kicks, he will be replaced. They just want to give him more game chances to prove it one way or the other...

Yeah, agree

Liked Posts:
You never know how it translates to the NFL for sure, but Pineiro was Florida's most accurate kicker in their program history and hit 94% his last year there (17/18). So, it's not like he was merely ok in college. He was great in college and got hurt last year in the preseason.

In some ways, I think the Bears almost have overreacted to the Parkey playoff miss and created a situation where any kicker is going to struggle a bit. I know they wanted to make those guys uncomfortable and really test them out mentally as much as they can. But you can take that too far and make it so there is almost no routine at any time for them and that is not normal either.

Anywho, it will be interesting to see how Pineiro takes it from here. I hope he takes it and runs with it as I know I am tired of hearing about the kicker in every press conference. My guess is that the team is tired of talking about it too.

This is Absolutely the Best analysis I have seen on this topic!!! You Definitely get it buddy!!! I was thinking the same thing. When you look at all of the other kicking camps around the league, no one is charting and scrutinizing every single kick in practice and then writing about it in the newspaper every day. This is an incredible over-reaction so far to what happened last year. I think Nagy realized that and made the decision to stop this circus before it totally got out of hand and backfired on the Bears this season. Let's hope that Eddy delivers this season and gives the Bears a viable weapon to take them to the Super Bowl.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I feel the Bears just want to evaluate Pinero by himself to see if they can trust him heading into the season or if they need to make a move as teams begin trimming their roster. Doing so allows the Bears, if need be, time to swipe in and offer a pick before another kicker they are interested in potentially gets cut.

I don't see any kicker that is in danger of getting cut being worth offering a draft pick for unless the Panthers for some reason decide to keep this Slye kid over G.Gano and then i'd offer something for Gano. I don't even think it's worth offering a pick for Slye unless it's like the Pineiro deal where it's a late conditional pick. We just haven't had luck with kickers since letting Robbie go but we won't know what any kicker that hasn't already proven himself is until he's put in a real game high pressure situation. I love what Slye has done and what he did in Soldier Field against us but he hasn't had any high pressure kicks yet and won't until it's to win a real game or to tie a game or whatever. There's just way too many of the great kickers that are out there now that were UDFA's that teams got lucky with so we need to find that guy. Maybe it's Piniero.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yep, even during cut downs for all players, the Bears are very low on the waiver wire so a player they like during cut downs will probably not be awarded to them. I still expect the Bears to make a couple of draft pick trades or player for player trades before cut down day.

You are all about this thing with the Bears making a trade or trades before cut down day but trades are so rare in the NFL that i just don't see it. I hope i'm wrong and we get us a legit 3rd/4th OLB or someone else that could be helpful for us but tough to see it. I don't see a team trading for Kwiatkowski cause he's a 3rd and really a 4th ILB at best. He just doesn't have good enough coverage skills and sideline to sideline speed but his run stopping and tackling and blitzing the QB is just fine. I don't see anyone that's not a starter for us being someone a team would trade for. We need to sell the Patriots on Shaheen. They do actually need a TE pretty badly but they aren't giving up anything for any of our guys.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The Vikings had Vedvik doing their punting for them yesterday as well. He punted 3 times and their other punter punted once. Vedvik averaged 46.7 with his 3 punts with a long one of 54 yds but he only kicked one extra point and D.Bailey got their one field goal which was just a 24 yarder.

D.Bailey would be another guy to keep an eye on. Don't know what happened to him but he was really good for the Cowboys for a while.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Vikings had Vedvik doing their punting for them yesterday as well. He punted 3 times and their other punter punted once. Vedvik averaged 46.7 with his 3 punts with a long one of 54 yds but he only kicked one extra point and D.Bailey got their one field goal which was just a 24 yarder.

D.Bailey would be another guy to keep an eye on. Don't know what happened to him but he was really good for the Cowboys for a while.

Yeah, 75% Dan Bailey would certainly turn this kicking situation around!

Idiot.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I
This is Absolutely the Best analysis I have seen on this topic!!! You Definitely get it buddy!!! I was thinking the same thing. When you look at all of the other kicking camps around the league, no one is charting and scrutinizing every single kick in practice and then writing about it in the newspaper every day. This is an incredible over-reaction so far to what happened last year. I think Nagy realized that and made the decision to stop this circus before it totally got out of hand and backfired on the Bears this season. Let's hope that Eddy delivers this season and gives the Bears a viable weapon to take them to the Super Bowl.
It wouldn't have mattered if they only brought in one kicker. When the season ended on a double doink, and there are no other legitimate holes on the team, it was going to be overly scrutinized by everyone No matter what. And the media needs drama, so they took that and ran with it...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The whole kicking competition was important to the fans, so Nagy and Pace went over the top to make sure it was public, and thorough. If a kicker can not take the pressure of the media tracking misses, then how the hell is he going to take the pressure of a game winning or losing situation?

Hell the fans even got behind Eddie on several occasions at camp, so for him to complain about the whole competition just makes me think that he is going to fold under the pressure of an important game.

The good kickers want that situation, just like any player in the NFL wants to be the hero.

I hope Eddie shows that he can make a 50 yarder at the end of regulation to win the game, because that is what I expect....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The whole kicking competition was important to the fans, so Nagy and Pace went over the top to make sure it was public, and thorough. If a kicker can not take the pressure of the media tracking misses, then how the hell is he going to take the pressure of a game winning or losing situation?

Hell the fans even got behind Eddie on several occasions at camp, so for him to complain about the whole competition just makes me think that he is going to fold under the pressure of an important game.

The good kickers want that situation, just like any player in the NFL wants to be the hero.

I hope Eddie shows that he can make a 50 yarder at the end of regulation to win the game, because that is what I expect....

Over analyzing.........

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Count me skeptical that anything will change performance-wise. But hey, maybe it'll work out. I hope so.

Nothing wrong with trying to simulate some off-season pressure for a young kicker. They let the team have fun with it.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It's going to have to be Pineiro now, there isn't enough time for a new kicker to learn the playbook.
Any chance E.P. also knows or has a different skill? Did he possibly pass or catch the ball before in any Raiders practices or college days? These are some things to think about too. Maybe Nagy and Pace knows he can somewhat do other things.

jive

Liked Posts:
Pace has never met a draft pick that he wasn't willing to deal. But, I wouldn't be surprised if he's been on the phone with Matt Bryant's agent either.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I don't see any kicker that is in danger of getting cut being worth offering a draft pick for unless the Panthers for some reason decide to keep this Slye kid over G.Gano and then i'd offer something for Gano. I don't even think it's worth offering a pick for Slye unless it's like the Pineiro deal where it's a late conditional pick. We just haven't had luck with kickers since letting Robbie go but we won't know what any kicker that hasn't already proven himself is until he's put in a real game high pressure situation. I love what Slye has done and what he did in Soldier Field against us but he hasn't had any high pressure kicks yet and won't until it's to win a real game or to tie a game or whatever. There's just way too many of the great kickers that are out there now that were UDFA's that teams got lucky with so we need to find that guy. Maybe it's Piniero.

I agree that there may not be many well known and proven kickers to trade for. I'm actually not high on Slye like others on this board who watched one preseason gane of him. He was consistently a 70% kicker in college and like you said hasnt actually done anything in the NFL season. I doubt the light just comes on in the pros after being mediocre in college.

I'd rather go with Pinero who was 88% in his 2 seasons. Unless he struggles heavily, go with him. But if he does you've got to give yourself time to potentially make a switch.

I'm not sure who or what players may be available for the right price, but one under the radar one I am keeping an eye on is C. Santos. Their are jitters the Bucs may move on from their kicker, Santos, who briefly played with Bears but was cut when he got injured. He did well in KC, and his numbers seemed decent in Tampa also. yet I've heard the Bucs like the new guy too.

Liked Posts:
Well, if Eddy has a great season this year, I would be open to entertain any trade opportunities
Any chance E.P. also knows or has a different skill? Did he possibly pass or catch the ball before in any Raiders practices or college days? These are some things to think about too. Maybe Nagy and Pace knows he can somewhat do other things.

I heard he was goofing around in practice and threw a 40yard pass behind his back to one of the receivers.
Trick play anyone?

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Well... I don't know if we'd really call that a complaint, as much as a funny quip.

He's just acknowledging the way the Bears have handled this kicking competition has been freakin' weird. He knows it. He just has a sense of humor about it.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Well, if Eddy has a great season this year, I would be open to entertain any trade opportunities

I heard he was goofing around in practice and threw a 40yard pass behind his back to one of the receivers.
Trick play anyone?
"I heard he was goofing around in practice and threw a 40yard pass behind his back to one of the receivers."

You sure you just joking or are you talking about Cohen? Cohen was Kicking balls in TC and Nagy told him to keep that shit on the DL.