Emma: Ranking the Bear's Best Options at QB

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Only Bear fans would complain about having to pay a top 10 QB his money.

I like Trubisky a lot, but I understand there is still risk with him.

I am telling you that you can get a proven top 10 QB with the #3 pick and you are rejecting that? Because you have to pay the man?

Crazy.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yes, Windy said he would give that up for him.

Gotcha. Missed that post. If we were in win now mode, I might do it, but considering the amount of holes we have to fill I don't think Kirk is worth it at 3. I'd go Watson/Kizer over Trubisky though. One of them will be there.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Only Bear fans would complain about having to pay a top 10 QB his money.

I like Trubisky a lot, but I understand there is still risk with him.

I am telling you that you can get a proven top 10 QB with the #3 pick and you are rejecting that? Because you have to pay the man?

Crazy.

He is borderline at best at the very bottom of 10. With Cousins on our team the last few years, we still would have sucked.

If we had a mid first round pick maybe. Top 3 is for someone who has the potential to be a superstar. If you think Watson or Trubusky won't be, that's fine. I and many others do.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Gotcha. Missed that post. If we were in win now mode, I might do it, but considering the amount of holes we have to fill I don't think Kirk is worth it at 3. I'd go Watson/Kizer over Trubisky though. One of them will be there.

I don't understand this thought process. If you trade the #3 pick for Cousins, he could be your QB for the next 7 years. He isn't even 30 years old yet.

But yet, you would rather hold onto the pick and draft a QB anyway (essentially filling the same hole your talking about) and hope that the draft pick pans out.

The only way the draft pick turns out to be a better investment is if that prospect becomes a top 10 QB and then remains a Bear for a decade.

I will take the proven NFL QB who can lead this team for the next 7 years or so.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I don't understand this thought process. If you trade the #3 pick for Cousins, he could be your QB for the next 7 years. He isn't even 30 years old yet.

But yet, you would rather hold onto the pick and draft a QB anyway (essentially filling the same hole your talking about) and hope that the draft pick pans out.

The only way the draft pick turns out to be a better investment is if that prospect becomes a top 10 QB and then remains a Bear for a decade.

I will take the proven NFL QB who can lead this team for the next 7 years or so.

You act like there is 100% chance Cousins plays at that level for us. We have seen QBs go to different systems and struggle. Not saying it would happen but it's a possibility.

But the big point you keep missing is the upside factor of the rookie QB being a superstar. That alone is worth it. If he fails, you try again.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Probably because the last QB we traded for turned out to be a total complete waste of 8 years. I'd rather start fresh with a rookie QB with upside. Someone who can be the face of the franchise. I wouldn't be upset with Kirk, I think he's a competent NFL QB and could do good things but since we're rebooting this whole thing might as well do it with everyone.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
You act like there is 100% chance Cousins plays at that level for us. We have seen QBs go to different systems and struggle. Not saying it would happen but it's a possibility.

But the big point you keep missing is the upside factor of the rookie QB being a superstar. That alone is worth it. If he fails, you try again.

If you draft and invest in Watson, you can pretty much be guaranteed he gets 2 seasons at least to prove he belongs in the NFL. If he doesn't pan out, you probably see a coaching overhaul and a front office overhaul and we hit the reset button again and start this whole process.

You are perfectly happy being the Cleveland Browns for a chance at a "superstar QB".

Players like Cousins in their primes don't come available everyday. If he does, Pace better be going after him hard.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If you draft and invest in Watson, you can pretty much be guaranteed he gets 2 seasons at least to prove he belongs in the NFL. If he doesn't pan out, you probably see a coaching overhaul and a front office overhaul and we hit the reset button again and start this whole process.

You are perfectly happy being the Cleveland Browns for a chance at a "superstar QB".

Players like Cousins in their primes don't come available everyday. If he does, Pace better be going after him hard.

Scared of becoming the Cleveland Browns by drafting a QB high is like being scared of Cousins becoming Cutler.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I would rather have Jay Cutler than be the Cleveland Browns.

We got to an NFC championship with Jay Cutler.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I am happy taking the risk when there is no other alternative on the table.

Like I have said, Trubisky is the guy I believe will be the best from this draft. There is considerable risk though.

The situation is though that Cousins might be available at some point and in that case, he is the better option. A guy like Cousins doesn't become available every offseason.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cousins would be hard to not go after if he were to be made available, he is the only guy I would consider taking over one of the rooks. Cousins makes 100 times for sense than Jimmy.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
If we were to get Cousins, it would be a Redskins fuckup not resigning him. A sign and trade simply wouldn't happen.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If we could get Cousins for pick 1(3) I would have to think about it, and probably do it.

If we could sign him long term there should be nothing to think about.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
1. Watson.....This guy is a winner, leader, clutch player in big games ( see NC vs 'bama) and a smart Qb. If he's there at 3, ya take him and build around him.

2. Kizer.......tough situation at N.D. Only18picks in 660attps.

3. Taylor.....low turnovers, smart with protecting da football (94.2 rating as the Bills’ starter, 37 touchdowns to just 12 interceptions.....without any real "O" talent)

4. Mahomes......did real well with limited resources ( there's a article about this)

5. Hoyer....keep him as a vet bridge

6. Shaw.....let him compete. ( I like this guys mobility and play-making ability. Lets groom him and 1 day, dangle him in front of teams the way N.E. and G.B. do)

--------

the others

Cousins.....choked vs. the Giants in his last game. Failed to give Wash. their first back-to-back playoff berths since Joe Gibbs’ final season
Garoppolo.....no to a backup with 1 1/2 games and a injury. Other N.E. backups with more exp. have been avg.
Trubisky........lost to teams he shouda' beat in college and didn't look impressive in his bowl game ( I wanted to see more from a guy with 1 season of exp. , who suppose to be "1st round qb")

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't know where you pulled this from but all I know is if you are throwing 17 INT's against college level athletes with four NFL level players at skill positions...

Good luck against the NFL caliber athletes when the window for error is going to be a lot smaller.

Cool story bro. Still doesn't change the fact interceptions in college are not a good predictor of NFL interceptions or production. Sorry I guess.

If you want to argue there was something specific about his interceptions that make it more likely that his problems continue in the NFL then that's fair. Blindly looking at interceptions and assuming the problem will continue is flawed logic.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Most would argue that guys don't become more accurate and turn the ball over less in the pros.

Turnover prone guys in college often remain that way in the pros.

And most guys would be wrong. I already posted the article that analyzed this. I don't know what to tell you except the research proves this assumption is flawed.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Watson.....This guy is a winner, leader, clutch player in big games ( see NC vs 'bama) and a smart Qb. If he's there at 3, ya take him and build around him.

2. Kizer.......tough situation at N.D. Only18picks in 660attps.

3. Taylor.....low turnovers, smart with protecting da football (94.2 rating as the Bills’ starter, 37 touchdowns to just 12 interceptions.....without any real "O" talent)

4. Mahomes......did real well with limited resources ( there's a article about this)

5. Hoyer....keep him as a vet bridge

6. Shaw.....let him compete. ( I like this guys mobility and play-making ability. Lets groom him and 1 day, dangle him in front of teams the way N.E. and G.B. do)

--------

the others

Cousins.....choked vs. the Giants in his last game. Failed to give Wash. their first back-to-back playoff berths since Joe Gibbs’ final season
Garoppolo.....no to a backup with 1 1/2 games and a injury. Other N.E. backups with more exp. have been avg.
Trubisky........lost to teams he shouda' beat in college and didn't look impressive in his bowl game ( I wanted to see more from a guy with 1 season of exp. , who suppose to be "1st round qb")

Hard to dangle 3rd string QB'S when your 1 and 2 are nothing better than backup's themselves.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Cool story bro. Still doesn't change the fact interceptions in college are not a good predictor of NFL interceptions or production. Sorry I guess.

If you want to argue there was something specific about his interceptions that make it more likely that his problems continue in the NFL then that's fair. Blindly looking at interceptions and assuming the problem will continue is flawed logic.

Posts article defending Jameis Winston's interceptions in college...

Jameis Winston goes on to have 3rd worst interception % in NFL.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't know where you pulled this from but all I know is if you are throwing 17 INT's against college level athletes with four NFL level players at skill positions...

Good luck against the NFL caliber athletes when the window for error is going to be a lot smaller.

Can u also tell us about the number of TD's he accounted for and how that works vs NFL caliber athletes