Fields Day 1 Starter.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want to see them start Dalton. Develop the new OTs and figure out the best lineup to protect a QB, let Fields learn the game and give him hundreds of reps on running for his life and learning how to roll before getting hit like a professional stuntman, then when he is actually ready and the O-line has played some games and is in sync, then put Fields in.
I love getting a rookie QB wet toward the end of season, or giving them a 2-3 game stretch.

Burrough did well for a few games. Hurts did well for a few games.

But thats all they need to prepare all off-season, to get humbled, to realize the level and speed they need to be at.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Yeah...why would you do that?

Its much better to assess your team first with a known commodity.
Personally I would start Dalton for first halfs, followed by Foles for second halfs until one or both of them emerges...audition them and see what offers I get. Trade 1 or both.

After the trade deadline, I start thinking about getting Fields wet. I never like giving a rookie more than a taste. Let them think about that taste all off-season. Prepare harder, knowing what they are in.

Burroughs shouldn't have happened. That was obvious. He was getting beaten.

I don't see the accuracy in Fields tape yet or the difficult reads to justify hanging him out there. Let him watch, let him learn, let him get up to speed and pick a time to get him wet.
I mean, fields def ain’t a finished product, but whenever he’s ready, let him play. Starting different QBs by half is crazy lol…evaluate fields in training camp/pre season. If he’s the guy, start him. If he needs time, you start dalton. Foles blows

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Fields is going to start at some point during the season, because Andy Dalton isn't very good, and the Bears schedule is going to be brutal enough that I don't think they can afford losing too many games before making a switch.

I suspect this will all play out very similarly to how it did in 2017 with Glennon and Trubisky. The question I'm most curious about is where Fields ends up on the depth chart and whether or not he's behind Foles. Personally speaking, if Fields isn't the day 1 starter, Nick Foles would give them the best chance over Andy Dalton, but I know we're all supposed to pretend like that isn't even an option.

Last edited:

Caveroamer

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
But thats all they need to prepare all off-season, to get humbled, to realize the level and speed they need to be at.
That is another good point. a few games at the end of the season 1. gives the line the season to gel, 2. gives the guy their first bit of pro experience to see how fast it really IS, and 3. gives the coaches some game time tape to use all offseason. Let it be so!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let the best QB start week 1 whoever that may be. If it is Fields then let him play. Bengals and Chargers both had worse lines than the Bears and our line should be better this year with Jenkins and the competition we have created.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
I love getting a rookie QB wet toward the end of season, or giving them a 2-3 game stretch.

Burrough did well for a few games. Hurts did well for a few games.

But hes not Burrow or Hurt hes Justin Fields so why cant his path be the one that best for him not one that worked for someone else in a totally different situation .

He should be prepared and evaluated like he is QB1 and then you only make the decision not to start him opening day in late August not May .

Your strategy is great if you are trying to find the next great system qb but if you drafted him to be the franchise player you've got to let his talents speak and pull everyone in the building in the same direction

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Fields is going to start at some point during the season, because Andy Dalton isn't very good, and the Bears schedule is going to be brutal enough that I don't think they can afford losing too many games before making a switch.

I suspect this will all play out very similarly to how it did in 2017 with Glennon and Trubisky. The question I'm most curious about is where Fields ends up on the depth chart and whether or not he's behind Foles. Personally speaking, if Fields isn't the day 1 starter, Nick Foles would give them the best chance over Andy Dalton, but I know we're all supposed to pretend like that isn't even an option.
Foles is not better than Dalton

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
It's not just when he's ready, make him earn his starts. You don't just hand him the starting job, he has to win it from hard work in the film room and on the practice field.

There's no replacing game experience, sure. I see no problem giving him a drive in a blowout, or a scheduled play here or there. But long term, I think any player is better off by winning their spot through their own hard work, and not because the guy in front of them stinks.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Let the best QB start week 1 whoever that may be. If it is Fields then let him play. Bengals and Chargers both had worse lines than the Bears and our line should be better this year with Jenkins and the competition we have created.
Exactly...........also there will be a pre-season this year. Fields will be able to compete with Dalton for the starting position. We all know Fields has the physical skills to be the best QB in this class and if he already has a good start on the mental part of the game as reports tell us it will be hard for Dalton to beat him out.

If Fields is ready it would be foolish for the Bears NOT to start him week one.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
ktlommukvpw61.jpg
Legends

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Whole lotta stuff that is gonna happen between now and week 1 from an evaluation standpoint. Kinda silly to say now whether he should start out of the gate before OTAs, training camp, preseason, etc.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Unless you’re not actually rushing him. If he is capable of playing the QB position at a minimum level they should start him. You also learn by playing; and there is no equal substitute for experience
A bad experience creates bad habits that are later hard to break.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
A bad experience creates bad habits that are later hard to break.
only if a coach lets them repeat it over and over again...

you can develop bad habits in practice as well.......

all that is on the coaches

Visionman

Liked Posts:
only if a coach lets them repeat it over and over again...

you can develop bad habits in practice as well.......

all that is on the coaches
My point is, if the offer we isn’t working well around him with all the new pieces, it will create issues. And yes, that is on the coaches to prevent. Which is why it may be wise to sit him. There are things you can’t learn running for your life...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
My point is, if the offer we isn’t working well around him with all the new pieces, it will create issues. And yes, that is on the coaches to prevent. Which is why it may be wise to sit him. There are things you can’t learn running for your life...
you are never going to have the perfect situation...if the team is so abysmal the QB can't learn anything then it is time for a new staff.

If Fields has a minimum level of knowledge and can play the game at enough speed, he should be playing.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Foles is not better than Dalton
He is. Their passer ratings are nearly identical in the regular season, but it's no contest when you factor in the post-season. Foles raises his game in big moments while Andy Dalton has been abysmal (career 57.8 passer rating, 0-4 playoff record). That's kind of a big deal.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Mahomes sat for most of the year before starting the final game the year he was drafted

I think the Bears are hoping for something similar.

That said, if they lose two in a row I could see them making the switch or if he simply balls out and grasps certain concepts important to running an offense quicker than they thought he would, I could see him challenging for that.

The key here is we don't know yet if there will even be OTAs or even a preseason right now. The league and the union are still negotiating it.

Without a preseason I am sure they're going to want to make sure they go with the veteran at the very beginning instead of fields, until they can be absolutely sure he has his feet under him.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
He probably gets killed behind this Oline and they blame it on the coof.

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
He is. Their passer ratings are nearly identical in the regular season, but it's no contest when you factor in the post-season. Foles raises his game in big moments while Andy Dalton has been abysmal (career 57.8 passer rating, 0-4 playoff record). That's kind of a big deal.
Foles good years have been in ideal situations. When he has been on bad teams he has been absolutely awful. Dalton has been on a bad team a lot of his career and has been okay. Also he has been fairly consistent although he has definitely had some years that were outliers. Foles is the opposite of consistent

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no need to rush him.

I would start Dalton 4-6 games no matter what.

-We will have a lot of changes on the OL.
-Perhaps a new WR3
-Big changes on offense now that we can burn the Mitch training wheels offense.

Let Dalton start the season and get all that shot sorted out and than go to Fields when he is ready.
Agreed on all counts.

It will matter when our bye week falls as well. It would be nice to get 4 or 5 games in just to make sure the OL has gelled and can give Fields a bye week prior to his first start- if applicable of course. I'd rather see Fields in the first half of the season rather than waiting until the 2nd half.