My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Brady sat
Rodgers sat
Mahomes sat
They all had pro bowl QB in front of them, and non of them had the resume that Fields has coming into the NFL.

This is his highlights after completing the hardest schedule of any FBS QB in the last 2 years.

• 20-2 as an Ohio State starting quarterback
• Threw for 5,373 yards – 10th at Ohio State – in just two seasons
• Also threw for 63 touchdowns – second at Ohio State – and completed 68.4 pct. of his passes (second at Ohio State) with just nine interceptions
• Rushed for 867 yards and 15 touchdowns
• Two-time (2019 and 2020) Big Ten Conference Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year and Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year
• Chicago Tribune Silver Football Award winner (2020)
• Had an Ohio State school record 179.14 career passer efficiency rating, including a single season record rating of 181.43 in 2019 (third-best nationally)
• Heisman Trophy finalist in 2019 after completing 67.2 percent of his passes for 3,273 yards while accounting for 51 touchdowns (41 passing, 10 rushing)
• Became the first quarterback in Big Ten history with 40 passing TDs and 10 rushing TDs in the same season in 2019
• His 41-3 touchdown-to-interception ratio in 2019 was the best in the country
• Most Valuable Player of the 2019 Big Ten Championship Game after throwing for 299 yards and three touchdowns in a 34-21 come-from-behind victory over No. 8 Wisconsin

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
more reference, here are the first starts and background situations of rookie QBs the last few years....
  • jared goff
    • week 11 - sat behind case keenum
  • carson wentz
    • week 1 - sam bradford traded during preseason
  • dak prescott
    • week 1 - tony romo injury
  • mitch trubisky
    • week 5 - sat behind mike glennon
  • patrick mahomes
    • week 17 - sat behind alex smith, who had career year and was 9-6
  • deshaun watson
    • week 2 - relieved tom savage week 1
  • baker mayfield
    • week 4 - tyrod taylor injury
  • sam darnold
    • week 1 - no doubter, josh mccown served as backup
  • josh allen
    • week 2 - relieved nathan peterman week 1
  • lamar jackson
    • week 11 - joe flacco injury
  • kyler murray
    • week 1 - no doubter, brett hundley served as backup
  • drew lock
    • week 13 - joe flacco injury, relieved brandon allen
  • dwayne haskins
    • week 9 - case keenum injury
  • daniel jones
    • week 3 - sat behind eli manning
  • joe burrow
    • week 1 - no doubter, brandon allen served as backup
  • tua tagovailoa
    • week 8 - sat behind ryan fitzpatrick
  • justin herbert
    • week 2 - tyrod taylor injury
  • jalen hurts
    • week 14 - sat behind carson wentz

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Dan Bernstein this morning is going pretty damn hard for Fields starting week 1. Kevin Fishbain was on and said guys like Mahomes and Rodgers are the exception.

Some great points being made for him starting. As much as id love to see him week 1, i still think i'd rather wait a bit.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I'd lean toward sitting him too.

No QB gets ruined by sitting but we have seen QB's get rushed in too quickly or forced into action before they were ready.

I'd rather sit him the first year (except for a maybe a meaningless game or two at the end of the season like Mahomes). It might take him longer to get actual in game experience that he needs to get even better since your starting the clock later for him but to me that tradeoff is much, much smarter than the risk of putting him into action too early.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Here’s the deal .... dalton/foles are what is now old school pocket passer type guys.
When Justin fields comes in the entire offense should look different. It’s going to have to be. Just make the change now. Give the man all the team 1 reps.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
For all the guys saying the QB will sit and citing examples .... Rodgers sat behind a first ballot hall of fame player. Mahomes say behind a guy that was just previously on track to potentially win MVP in Alex smith. Brady sat behind a super bowl caliber player in Bledsoe on a team that was winning.

fields has dalton and foles in his way. We saw how it went with foles last year and dalton is a back up. You play fields.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The fact that Dalton has no more experience with this playbook than Fields does makes me believe that there is a good chance that Fields could be on par with Dalton as far as knowing the plays.

However, NFL experience trumps any physical advantage that Fields has.

I would say starting Dalton is likely the route that Nagy will go, but we have seen that he is willing to move on if he sees it is better for the team. He moved on from the giraffe quickly, he was not afraid to put Foles in when Trubisky was struggling and then pulled Foles to put Trubisky back in.

In other words, I see that there will be a real possibility that Fields will see action this season.

Not sure I see the role that Foles is going to play.....might be best for him and the Bears to trade or cut him.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
more reference, here are the first starts and background situations of rookie QBs the last few years....
  • jared goff
    • week 11 - sat behind case keenum
  • carson wentz
    • week 1 - sam bradford traded during preseason
  • dak prescott
    • week 1 - tony romo injury
  • mitch trubisky
    • week 5 - sat behind mike glennon
  • patrick mahomes
    • week 17 - sat behind alex smith, who had career year and was 9-6
  • deshaun watson
    • week 2 - relieved tom savage week 1
  • baker mayfield
    • week 4 - tyrod taylor injury
  • sam darnold
    • week 1 - no doubter, josh mccown served as backup
  • josh allen
    • week 2 - relieved nathan peterman week 1
  • lamar jackson
    • week 11 - joe flacco injury
  • kyler murray
    • week 1 - no doubter, brett hundley served as backup
  • drew lock
    • week 13 - joe flacco injury, relieved brandon allen
  • dwayne haskins
    • week 9 - case keenum injury
  • daniel jones
    • week 3 - sat behind eli manning
  • joe burrow
    • week 1 - no doubter, brandon allen served as backup
  • tua tagovailoa
    • week 8 - sat behind ryan fitzpatrick
  • justin herbert
    • week 2 - tyrod taylor injury
  • jalen hurts
    • week 14 - sat behind carson wentz
How many of these came from a potential Covid shortened Preseason?

Answer.................0

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Cleary he is the best QB on the team. I don't understand what most peoples reasons are for him to sit. Is the point that the Oline is going to be so bad that NO ONE can survive behind it and we need to protect him? Is it you don't believe he can digest the playbook and adjust to the NFL speed week 1 and are afraid that he will lose confidence.

Remember how much better Trubisky looked then Glennon and Trubisky was so inexperienced and played crap teams. He didn't even know what a damn hard count was. Fields has played the best teams in college for 2 full season and is just as ready as Lawrence.

Why take a chance losing games because we don't want to play are best players. Playing Fields early not only helps his development but it also helps all the players around him including the Oline, WRs, RBs, and TEs. Also makes the defense better because he will sustain drives and not turn the ball over as his fellow QBs.

CHIBEAR

Liked Posts:
Here’s the deal .... dalton/foles are what is now old school pocket passer type guys.
When Justin fields comes in the entire offense should look different. It’s going to have to be. Just make the change now. Give the man all the team 1 reps.

Exactly people talk as if Dalton is returning to the team when in fact when in fact both he and Fields will meet their teammates on the practice field together for the first time .

This franchise needs someone to get behind no ones following Dalton anywhere . If this kid is as special as everyone believes give him the chance to prove it . Let him compete for the job

For the life of me I cant understand why Bears fans would basically wanna repeat 2017 again which is bringing in another qb from outside the system to teach the newly drafted qb the ropes while he supposedly learns them himself .

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Exactly people talk as if Dalton is returning to the team when in fact when in fact both he and Fields will meet their teammates on the practice field together for the first time .

This franchise needs someone to get behind no ones following Dalton anywhere . If this kid is as special as everyone believes give him the chance to prove it . Let him compete for the job

For the life of me I cant understand why Bears fans would basically wanna repeat 2017 again which is bringing in another qb from outside the system to teach the newly drafted qb the ropes while he supposedly learns them himself .

additionally, you can’t or shouldn’t run the same offense with dalton that you will with fields.

fields is a dynamic athlete. If you set your offense to run the same around dalton as you do for fields then you are fucking up. Just install the offense and the plays that will work with fields.

Liked Posts:
Fields isn’t your typical rookie QB. This dude is SMART. He’s also got plenty of experience and full of talent.

He will be ready.

Question is will Nagy and the bears be ready to hand him the keys?

greg23

Liked Posts:
When he's ready to handle it all esp the speed of the game is when he'll start.....could be the season opener, could be mid season, could be one game appearance like mahomes (doubt this is the way it goes unless Dalton starts and had the team making the playoffs)

There shouldn't by any artificial limitations or timelines.......

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Such a fan boy post. Pat is the only one that belongs in the same book as mj. Kid hasn’t played a down and you have him in a picture with the greatest bb player ever. Stupid

Shut up guy

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd lean toward sitting him too.

No QB gets ruined by sitting but we have seen QB's get rushed in too quickly or forced into action before they were ready.

I'd rather sit him the first year (except for a maybe a meaningless game or two at the end of the season like Mahomes). It might take him longer to get actual in game experience that he needs to get even better since your starting the clock later for him but to me that tradeoff is much, much smarter than the risk of putting him into action too early.
Here is the thing I want you to elaborate on, why are you okay with him playing meaningless games? I would think that in meaningless games the chances of injury would increase. Is it because you don't have faith in Fields, the Oline or Nagy? I feel quite the opposite I am okay with him sitting during meaningless games, if we cinch a first round bye I'm okay with him sitting out the last game to get healthy to start in his first playoff game. Unless we have to watch Dalton blow the first 3 or 4 games before rushing him in to save Nagy's job, in which case we potentially miss the playoffs.

YES the Bears are a playoff team with Lions taking a step back at QB and the Packers completely going back to start without collecting $200.

I think as long as any QB other then Fields starts you are holding the ENTIRE team back from developing, learning the playbook that Nagy wants to run with Fields, and lettings the Oline and receivers gel with Fields play.

jive

Liked Posts:
Let them compete in camp. But, make the competition based on the plays that they would run with Fields' ability. Those are the plays that will be run for the next few seasons, so they should start this training camp. If Dalton is better at RPOs, bootlegs, avoiding the pass rush, improvising on broken plays, throwing the deep ball, etc., let him start. If not, give the start to Fields on day 1. If Fields can't grasp the basics or acclimate to the speed of the NFL, then let him sit.

Fields would be the fastest guy on offense on the field, and it would be shame to have him on the bench.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Think he's going to pick it up quickly and start sooner than later

It makes more sense for someone like Trey Lance to sit a year. He doesn't have much experience and didn't play last year