Final Mock Draft

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
KC traded up for the table scraps QB a few years ago. Fields skill set is elite and he has every chance to be the best QB in this class.

If his skill set is elite and he has every chance to be the best QB in the class, then why is he the last taken out of 5 guys at the same position? That makes no sense, but tis the season.

KC also built a damned good OL with weapons and a competent coach who had the luxury to sit that Mahomes guy so he could learn/adapt. Who'd have thought putting a guy in a position to succeed while investing in the other 10 guys Mahomes would be playing with on the offensive unit would create such a result...

But hey--as OP says--fuck the OLine. Fuck protecting the talent at QB. Just get the talent at QB and both starting OTs will somehow figure out how to block when they have a history of not being able to.

And when Fields ends ups elsewhere and proves to be one of the better QBs from this class we'll here nothing but crickets from you
Good lord what a lazy comparison.

Fields succeeding elsewhere versus succeeding here are two different situations and comparing them (like Mahomes in KC versus Mahomes here starting with John Fox and Frodo Loggains before Nagy stepping in as opposed to Andry Reid from day 1) is idiotic because Team A in this case and the Bears don't have the exact same problems/needed solutions/schemes/coaches/plans. Yes, that still means Fields has to put it together.

But if you can't distinguish between him coming to a complicated offense where the HC/Playcaller won't tailor his offense to the talent versus him going elsewhere and being put in a position to succeed because a team is ready to invest all efforts in protecting him and getting him weapons before developing him versus Nagy's own words of "there's 101 and 201 with this offense" when the #2 pick and his own systems guy in Nick Foles both couldn't succeed--then I cannot help you.

But hey. I'm sure the 3rd time is the charm.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
They might still draft a QB but why give up 3 picks for Sam Darnold then? They could have easily kept those draft picks they gave up for him.
They did give up some picks, but it was a 6th for this year and day 2 & 3 next year. That's not a whole lot.

I'm just saying that if I'm the Panthers and I can get Fields and Darnold in the same camp, it's worth the pick.

I really don't see Fields falling past Detroit, let alone Denver. And yes, I know, they picked up some former 1st rounders, but the optics of getting Fields plus the first rounder means that a trade up for a QB is probably with picks 4-6.
1619623724823.png

greg23

Liked Posts:
With sf setting the bar; that seems like very little to pay to move from 20 to 8....esp with 2/3 other qb needy teams likely in the trade talks (in addition to the team trading out of #8 possibly looking at a qb)

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Trading up for tablescraps/the 5th QB option in the draft (within the top 10 picks of the 1st round) is how stupid/bad teams remain stupid/bad, and ultimately irrelevant for a long time.

Ignoring the OL again, especially suggesting the bears don't need to upgrade OT when they have two severely flawed, below-average at-best starters because "there are other needs" shows a gross lack of understanding how to win football games--fitting Ryan Pace's MO.

I'm now curious who Carolina is taking with a top 5-7 pick of 2022.
They need to upgrade the oline, but they need to upgrade the QB more. Even if they get two good tackles to replace the current tackles, the offense will only be marginally better. This is a QB league, and not much matters until you get one.

Take a look at Denver. They have invested huge in draft and dollar capital on their oline and skill positions, and have an established proven play caller running their offense, and they were bottom 5 in points last year. If your QB sucks, you suck in today's NFL. The only way to have consistent success is to solve the QB position. You don't need a perfect situation to make a QB work. You find one, and continue to build around. If a rookie needs to sit for a year, so be it. You are planning for the next ten years, not just right now.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
I think NE is gonna trade up for Fields. As much as I'd like to see it, I wouldn't get your hopes up about CHI getting a QB in the top 15 picks.

But the thing with NE trading up is:
  • They are NOT going to over-pay with Kraft and BB at the helm (Chicago almost certainly would)
  • This is the highest they have picked in almost 20 years and based on history and their division, they don't plan on picking this high again (and most teams know this). So this means that their 1st round picks are no where near as valuable as other teams first rounders.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
With sf setting the bar; that seems like very little to pay to move from 20 to 8....esp with 2/3 other qb needy teams likely in the trade talks (in addition to the team trading out of #8 possibly looking at a qb)

Yeah man, the more I think about it, I think Trey Lance is Plan A for Detroit. They can just sit him and rebuild around him.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yeah man, the more I think about it, I think Trey Lance is Plan A for Detroit. They can just sit him and rebuild around him.
I feel this way about San Francisco. They think they are good enough to hammer this window one or two more seasons, get in the playoffs and try to make some noise, then they plug Trey Lance in and rebuild the roster around him. They are playing the long-game with this move and the quarterback who best fits with that approach to my eye is Trey Lance.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 1[20], 3[83], 1[2022] to the Carolina Panthers for 1[8]

Pace would probably get fleeced for more and would want an extra 6th back

So if it costs Pace more than what someone on CCS thinks it should cost then he got fleeced? Hahaha

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
This isn't a terrible trade up, but, I just don't see why Carolina wouldn't draft Fields for themselves. I know that they have Sam Darnold, but I'm not sure they'd pass on Fields.

We don't even know what Detroit's plans are for J.Goff and if Det wouldn't take Fields at #7. Some team or teams are gonna make great trade downs and get a load of good draft picks to do it. Not just for someone to trade up for Fields but whoever is left of M.Jones and T.Lance and maybe for K.Pitts or maybe for P.Sewell. Being in the top 10 of this draft is heaven right now if you don't need a QB.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Carolina traded for Darnold because they believe in him. I'm guessing he get more slack from GMs for being stuck in the most clownshoe organization in the NFL today than most fans do. They will either use that pick to put talent around or to trade it for a few picks to put talent around him. You don't give up what they gave up for a guy with only one really cheap year remaining if you don't intend to give him the reigns. I bet he does pretty launches Joe Brady into a HC job in 2022.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
But the thing with NE trading up is:
  • They are NOT going to over-pay with Kraft and BB at the helm (Chicago almost certainly would)
  • This is the highest they have picked in almost 20 years and based on history and their division, they don't plan on picking this high again (and most teams know this). So this means that their 1st round picks are no where near as valuable as other teams first rounders.
CHI just plain and simple doesn't have much ammunition for a trade. They have the worst to offer of all the teams wanting to trade up for a QB.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
We don't even know what Detroit's plans are for J.Goff and if Det wouldn't take Fields at #7. Some team or teams are gonna make great trade downs and get a load of good draft picks to do it. Not just for someone to trade up for Fields but whoever is left of M.Jones and T.Lance and maybe for K.Pitts or maybe for P.Sewell. Being in the top 10 of this draft is heaven right now if you don't need a QB.
Part of this quarterback hysteria is fueled by the fact that this is the second straight year without an elite edge rusher prospect. This draft will mark the twenty-fifth year since the last time a team drafted a position other than tackle, quarterback or rusher with the first overall pick, the way things are going I'm not sure if the next twenty-five will be any different.

Personally, I think Kyle Pitts is a first overall caliber talent and taking the likes of Justin Fields or Zach Wilson over him is lunacy.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think the "talking heads" are just circulating manufactured rumors about Fields because alot of teams want him to drop now that he might not go at #3.

I believe a ton of teams have their eye on Fields. Too much upside. The 7th pick in the draft is worth half the value of the #1 overall. The first few picks are just that heavily weighted. If he makes it out the first few picks several teams are going to try and move up IMO.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Personally, I think Kyle Pitts is a first overall caliber talent and taking the likes of Justin Fields or Zach Wilson over him is lunacy.
Good point. But there are picks you get fired for making, and picks you get fired for not making. GMs tend to get fired for not making the high value picks when available, even if they miss. Zach Wilson is the 2nd highest graded (on many boards) QB in the draft. You can't pass on a franchise QB, even if there is a high bust chance, to draft a TE.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So if it costs Pace more than what someone on CCS thinks it should cost then he got fleeced? Hahaha
If he moves up I won't care what he trades.

Go to 4 for all I care.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Go to 4 for all I care.
But will you care if that QB ends up a bust?

It's probably somewhere around 95%--99% chance that 2 of these 5 QB's end up busts.

Playing at Soldier Field in that weather with that wind kinda plays against any QB.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
CHI just plain and simple doesn't have much ammunition for a trade. They have the worst to offer of all the teams wanting to trade up for a QB.
You are 100% correct, but they need to try, even if that means playing a little more than all of these CCS warriors think he should.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:

Go to 4 for all I care.
Exactly this. His ceiling is ridiculous. His production was ridiculous. I see them making that move because, if nothing else, Pace and Nagy tell management that Dalton is this team’s Alex Smith and Fields will sit for a year like Mahomes did. It provides hope, which provides job security for both of them.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
If our draft fell like this mock i'm posting without doing any trades i'd be a very happy man. Not sure E.Moore makes it to #52 but ya never know. I'm not too keen on taking J.Newman in the 5th but he's worth taking a look at especially in the 5th round but i'm not a fan after the senior bowl.

I don't see Elijah Moore getting past the end of the 1st with New Orleans, Green Bay and Baltimore all needing a 2nd WR to go with their stars. I think the league views Moore as a plug and play flanker or slot WR.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Good point. But there are picks you get fired for making, and picks you get fired for not making. GMs tend to get fired for not making the high value picks when available, even if they miss. Zach Wilson is the 2nd highest graded (on many boards) QB in the draft. You can't pass on a franchise QB, even if there is a high bust chance, to draft a TE.
If I were the Jets I would've run it back one more year with Sam Darnold and taken Kyle Pitts second overall and someone like Alex Leatherwood early in the second.

The gives them those bookend tackles with a stud tight end and a receiver corps that still has Denzel Mims, Corey Davis (who I think is ass, but he might be a late bloomer) and Jamison Crowder. Obviously they are not going to go that direciton.